close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

new gun owner

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by Wp.22, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Wp.22

Wp.22

hi, Im a new gun owner and I would like to ask regarding proper shooting and gun care/cleaning. Last gun show at megamall i bought a p.22 as my first gun since i got the gun i've fire at least 200 rounds at northstar. I hope you could give me some advice about my query. and also who would you recommend from nortstar to clean my gun for the meantime since i don't have my own cleaning kit. Lastly what cleaning kit woul you guys recommend?

thanks

2. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Welcome to the forum. Just do a search using relevant keywords like in this case, "cleaning." Use the search function in the main tool bar to search the entire site or the one below if you wish to limit the scope within this forum.

In the meantime, click on the link below

Gun Cleaning

3. toxic

toxic

4. Alexii

Alexii Janeway Forever

Welcome to the BOGs!

My advice is to ingrain ASAP into your system The 4 Rules of Gun Safety. Familiarize yourself with your chosen pistol. Learn and relearn the basics of marksmanship. Get that pistol cleaning kit and clean the pistol yourself (personally, I don't trust any pistol which I didn't strip and clean myself).

You'll accelerate learning if you make this a social experience. Join funshoots and hang out at gun clubs. You'll learn much faster.

5. New_comer

New_comer

Hello Wp.22

You could read the topics in these sites also, aside from GT :
    www.sportshooter.com
    www.spw-duf.info/index.html
    www.thehighroad.org

Read your manual thoroughly on how to field strip your gun for basic cleaning. Also, the shop where you bought it from can help you a lot in its proper maintenance. As you're restricted to use only factory 22's, your gun may not need to be cleaned as often as the sporting guns commonly used in competitions.

Welcome to GT-BoG! ;)

6. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

At Northstar, the range guys use kerosene to clean your gun after a shooting session. It works all right generally, but if you get lead fouling in the bore from shooting reloads you will need more than kerosene, at least eventually. Just get CLP or Hoppe's or something like that at Casa Armas or Twin Pines (they are sister companies) or one of those other gunshops down the corridor from Northstar.

I just ask whichever of the Northstar range guys is there when I finish to clean my gun, but I think the guy called "Jun" is generally smarter. He can help you to zero your sights too.

Northstar sells some basic cleaning kits - on the wall behind the cashier. They will do until you want to get a more heavy-duty one.

Check my post below to the effect that Armscor will take over Northstar. This will be good for many reasons,including improved ventilation.

7. vega

vega

Welcome to the forum Wp.22! ;c
    Just keep in mind when cleaning the bore, always start at the chamber end AND NOT at the muzzle end. A lot of crowns have been damaged that way.

vega

8. Booker3557

Booker3557

Good advice from vega.

It is good practice to clean your guns as soon as you finished shooting. I usually bring my cleaning gear with me to range. I clean my guns right after shooting so just I store them when I get home.

Having said that, some people get way overboard cleaning their guns. They actually cause more wear and tear on their firearms. Be careful with cleaning solutions. Some of them are strong enough to damage the barrels. Do not over lubricate. Oil and grease attract dirt and other gunk and they can gum up the internals.

9. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

WP22 congrats on the new roscoe.
    You need the correct sized rod (22 cal), bore brush,jag and patches. Some gun cleaner (I like Hoppes #9) and some oil like the one Singer sells for their sewing machines.
    You should also have a stiff old nylon brush for getting into the nooks and crannies of the frame and slide, a rag, a little tray for the small parts, and a well ventilated, brightly lit, flat area appropriately covered to protect your gun's finish. Maybe a little discrete also so you won't be observed by your neighbors. You know naman the stigma that guns carry (pun intended ano?).

As for cleaning a 22, well, this is how I do it.

I only do this every 500 rounds:

I detail the outside and inside of the gun with Hoppes and a nylon brush. Then I wet down a cleaning patch, attach it to the jag and pass it through the bore several times. Then I get a dry patch on the jag and pass that through the bore a few times too. Finally I take a patch dabbed with a little oil and run it through the bore. Note that I never inserted a brush in the bore. I do this to all four of my 22s and they are still as good as the day I got them. Anyway, to finish, I wipe the gun dry and lightly oil the outside.

For less than 500 rounds:

I wipe the gun clean with a rag moist with Hoppes 9 and pass an oiled patch through the bore, then I lightly oil the outside.

10. darwin25

darwin25 Make your move

My .22 magnum revolver has never had a brush inserted in its barrel since I had it. I dont see the need to use one. Since shooting rinfires restricts me to factory ammo, there is virtulally no barrel fouling. I use the same procedure as Falvar does But I use Helix engine oil to clean my guns.

11. Wp.22

Wp.22

thanks for your reply guys. I'll check on monday at twin pines regarding cleaning kit. The reason why i asked on whom to trust at northstar because when i had mu gun cleaned i forget to bring the spanner for the barrel and this guy forcibly use a pliers rag to remove the i don't know how you call it but it the end where you screw the silencer. with that method the outside of the barrel got scracth a little bit. I told him "hindi mo naman sisirain yung barrel ko no" .

12. FAlvar

FAlvar I love Iya

;P Wow, I don't allow anybody to clean my guns. They might as well ask if they can give my wife a bath.

Lesson learned for you. Clean the baby at home:)

13. antediluvianist

antediluvianist

I am surprised that the Northstar guys did that to your gun. Well, one of them - the little fat guy- isn't too smart. Maybe it was him. I avoid him .

I do clean my revolver in more detail at home. Maybe I better skip the Northstar guys altogether for the immediate wipe down. Never dreamed they would take pliers to a (your) gun.

14. Wp.22

Wp.22

exactly it's the little fat guy that did that to my gun.

15. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I clean my centerfire firearms after each range session.My rimfires(22 long rifle)pistols and rifles rarely get cleaned.Rimfire ammo and barrels don't normally cause problems.A little spray lube every now and then.They get cleaned if enough stuff gums them up.This is very rare.Rimfire ammo is designed to prevent fouling and corrosion.

16. ppts799

ppts799 Daisho

no i did not!!! ;a ;) ;) ;) just joking man, why not join us at the get together;c
    waikru2004? nightfighter? glockomolly? etc etc etc?

17. glockomolly

glockomolly Dirty Dawg

I think his name is "Boy" or Buboy... the guy w/ the mustache is JUN, as Ante says, I agree that he is the smartest & most accomodating of the three range officers of Northstar.

18. vega

vega

Lessoned learned: Avoid little fat guy who isn't so smart to clean your guns.

That's why I never let anybody clean my firearms. I remember even when I was a newbie I did my own cleaning. The homeboys at Armscor offered to clean it for me for a fee but I never let them touch it. They could shoot it but not clean it.

vega