GlockTalk Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
J-Frames are the business. My M638 came with a lock, so I removed it and installed a plug. I like to eliminate every possible point of failure...
3E417E8D-E65E-4DD9-BD9C-A86536F72075.jpeg

I use Speer SB 135 grain +P. I also keep some standard pressure Nyclads around for the wife.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I put the plug in mine while installing the Apex trigger kit. It isn’t difficult...especially if you have a rebound spring tool. I found a machinist in Alabama who makes the plugs. They come with two fixing devices and really fit well. He advertises on the S&W forum.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
WRT the plug -

I initially installed a plug in my 438, but ultimately removed the plug and just left the hole. Although a failure with the plug is highly unlikely (I’ve yet to hear of it, ever), its installation does leave extra parts INSIDE the frame. Should those parts come loose (again, I doubt it would happen), then those parts would be floating freely in the frame.

My feeling is I don’t like the lock, and I wanted all the extra parts gone. The hole is ugly, but it doesn’t harm anything.

Whatever you do, don’t remove the flag and leave the lock barrel. That would result in a lock that could be mistaken as working (it’ll still turn), but not actually lock. This is dangerous as a future owner of the gun might not know that the lock doesn’t work.

Anyway, the OP bought a gun without a lock - good choice!

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Great choice! I have been in the market for a DAO carry revolver for a bit. I've had a 642, a couple 442s and a 640. Finally decided to spend my $ and ordered a Colt Night Cobra, just to see if I like it. If I don't, I'll get another no-lock 442.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Mine carries the dreaded key lock.
But it still goes bang when I pull the trigger.
Great little revolver. My Church carry.
Enjoy.
018.jpg

·
The eBay Guy
20,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
After seeing this thread, I started to miss having a J Frame in my collection. I decided to pick up a used like new 642. Unfortunately It has the lock, but that’s ok.
Nice!!! The lock wouldn't bother me in the least.

Congrats to you!

·
10mm Philosopher
6,096 Posts
Those lil' 'uns are all neat fun ... until you start running the +P ammo through them. :wow:

:shocked:

Reactions: Joshhtn
41 - 52 of 52 Posts