Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
Pros: 100% reliable and accurate.

Cons: The blow back is obnoxious and buying parts gets real expensive. Recoil springs, the first thing to go, are like hen's teeth.

So I have relegated mine to the safe where it will stay for the duration.

·
Kwisatz Haderach in Training
4,061 Posts
I would like an after market bbl 2 inches longer.
My is from the late 80's eats everything, stingers to aguila 60gr.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Hello. Back from the range today with the little Beretta. I took eight different types of 22lr ammo to the range. All of them functioned fine with the exception of the Aguila ammo. The Aguila didn't want to fire reliably. Light strikes on the rim. All of them shot high to point of aim - probably something about my grip. Not high enough to worry about for close range shooting - say within 5 yards. It is not a target pistol. Worth noting is that the little bugger needs to be kept clean. I did have a couple of stoppages on the last round in the magazine. Brushing the breech face and the barrel throat seemed to fix the issue.

Ammo tested included: CCI Stingers, CCI Velositors, Win Super X Hyper Velocity, Win M22, CCI Mini Mag 36gr HP, Mini Mag 40gr, Fiochhi 40gr and Aguila High Velocity 40gr.

The Stingers functioned fine, but seemed a little much. Lots of flash and louder than the others. I think I'll stick with Mini Mags for this little gun. They run fine, seemed to group decently and, given the short barrel, are probably as effective as any of the hyper velocity ammo types.

It is a fun little gun. Put a grin on my face every time I went through a magazine and saw holes on paper. I was expecting issues. Happy that it didn't happen (save for the Aguila).

So what am I going to do with this little guy? Its a sweet plinker. I like to shoot and it likes being shot. I have better choices for carry. But it might be perfect for hiking/backpacking where weight is an issue. The gun and a box of ammo don't take up much more space than a deck of cards!

Its just fun. Glad I bought it.
Bobcat is one of the really good ones, you should keep it. Lots of uses for it, but it really shines in the deep concealment role. Don't forget to pick up a spare mag. Thing is that the gun is so darn' reliable with Stingers and Mini-mags that I never felt uneasy about it as an EDC when it was just too dang hot for anything else.

Grumpy

·
Registered
430 Posts
M2: that is a lot of shorts!

I too have a Minx. Used to reside in coat pocket when running trapline back in the days. Used it to dispatch many a trapped animal. Haven't shot it for a long time. I should hunt it up and shoot it.

·
Registered
30,418 Posts
M2: that is a lot of shorts!
That's a funny story.

Years back I use to watch for sales at Academy. For instance they often put 9mm Winchester on sale for $6 a box.

Auto part

One day when I stopped at Academy they had a sale on 22 Short for 85 cents a box.
So, I thought I'd get a couple bricks for $8.50.

When the girl rang up sale it was 85 cents for the ten box brick. (Obviously whoever put the price sticker on the ammo, put the 85 cent sticker on the bricks, instead of the individual boxes)

I tried to explain to the girl that the cost should be $8.50 for the (10 box) carton, not 85 cents.
And she should check with her supervisor about it.
But she wasn't interested.

Apparently the cash register girls were told (strongly) that whatever the cash register rings up is the right price, because she wasn't interested in what I was telling her.

So, the the two 500 round bricks cost me $1.70.

As it happened, I had to go to town a number of times in the next days, so, just to see how long it would take Academy to wake up, I would stop in and get three more bricks of the 85 cent 22 Short. (Different girls on the register)

I had so much I was giving it to my friends. :)

Then finally an older lady happened to be on the Register. When she rang up the sale she saw right away that 85 cents wasn't the right price.
That was the end of the 85 cent 22 ammo. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts

·
Registered
30,418 Posts
In the last few days I've been shooting a number of brands of ammo.
Some as old as 1982 and before.

Two or three rounds jammed feeding as the bullet nose hit the top rear of the barrel when feeding.
I think that may be due to some old, slightly weak loads.

Mostly I'm shooting at seven yards.
Most of the hits are spread out on the left half of a 8.5 x11 inch target.

I don't like accuracy that poor but considering the very poor sights and the gun probably isn't overly accurate, that's OK, I guess.

I started pocket carrying the little Model 21A around the place.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought one in the late eighties, early nineties? Still have it. Me and a drinking / golfing buddy both bought one at the same time, they were cheap!

We took them straight from the cash register to the range in back, first shot at 7 yards, straight through the X in the center......wow! Second shot, completely missed?? Ran the target back to me to see a slightly enlarged hole, went straight through the first hole! Keeper!

·
NRA Benefactor
5,734 Posts
One of the guns I wished I had purchased when working for Turners in the 80's.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Because the slide does not lock back when empty it is good to count your rounds and don't pull the trigger with an empty chamber. Most rimfires don't like a lot of that treatment because once the chamber mouth gets peened by the firing pin the case rim does not have the proper support for the firing pin strike and misfires start to occur. On page 10 of the 21A manual Beretta cautions against dry firing because it can break the firing pin. I am pretty sure most here know that but it is good to mention it to anyone you let fire it. Maybe if they count their rounds they might slow down and shoot better too.
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/service/documents-usa/?F_All=y

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bought it this weekend at the gun show. I have wanted one for many many years. The last time I saw a new one for sale was about 10 years ago. I saw two of them yesterday at the show. The first one was way over priced. Almost $500. Crazy. Coming up on the next to last row of the show I found a large dealer with one. This one was marked $349. I bought it.

I don't know yet what role it will play. Its certainly not the most effective choice for CCW. But it is very cool. Its not even the smallest or lightest CCW pistol in the safe. My KelTec P32 beats it in this regard. But it is cool. Very cool.

Hope to get it out to the range Tuesday.
I've had one for a while, it is a fun little gun. The only problem I've had is the very thin, hard to see front sight. Someone on another site indicated that current production Bobcats have wider front sights and rear notches. Any chance of getting a pic of the sights?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Mostly I'm shooting at seven yards.
Most of the hits are spread out on the left half of a 8.5 x11 inch target.
Some CCI ammo might do much better. Most get good accuracy with theirs and unless something is wrong with yours good hot ammo might be all it needs to shoot good.

The only problem I've had is the very thin, hard to see front sight.
I got some orange paint for model cars at the craft store and painted my front sight. That REALLY helped me see the sight. I thought bright orange would be better than white because I see snow much of the year. The bright orange was really good but I went to white because I see white better in low light and I was wrong about the snow being an issue. Not my idea - my gunsmith suggested I try it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I always paint my front sights orange (or use night sights with orange inserts). I tried it with my Bobcat, but with such a tiny surface area, it flaked off easily. If the current production sights are wider, paint would more readily stick to them.

·
Registered
30,418 Posts
I dab a little bright colored paint on some front sights.

81 year old eyes need all the help they can get. :)

This week I started carrying the little Beretta around (the place) in my coat pocket.

Imagining how I might possibly ( but not very likely) ever need to use the gun, I thought close up ( 5-7 yards) "Point and Shoot" would probably be it.
So this week I've just been pointing and shooting (double taps) from about 4 to 7 yards.

The targets are 4-5 inch printed heads of some of the people we love to hate (I like shooting "politically incorrect" targets and print hundreds). :)

Surprisingly, mostly I hit the heads about 5, or more shots out of 7 or 8, while holding the gun chest high.

But the important thing is it's fun shooting.

Picking up all that 22 brass is a pain in the back though. :)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The return spring broke on mine also. My gunsmith didn't charge much to fix it and look it over. Shoots amazingly well when you have amazingly good lighting to see the sights. They like CCI ammo. Probably a lot easier to throw accurately than most pistols if it comes to it. I carry a little nylon rod to poke a misfire out if I have to. It ain't the best but it ain't nothing either.

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
I bought it this weekend at the gun show. I have wanted one for many many years. The last time I saw a new one for sale was about 10 years ago. I saw two of them yesterday at the show. The first one was way over priced. Almost $500. Crazy. Coming up on the next to last row of the show I found a large dealer with one. This one was marked $349. I bought it.

I don't know yet what role it will play. Its certainly not the most effective choice for CCW. But it is very cool. Its not even the smallest or lightest CCW pistol in the safe. My KelTec P32 beats it in this regard. But it is cool. Very cool.

Hope to get it out to the range Tuesday.

View attachment 525908
Whooooo-hooooo. Nice
I have a Tomcat in 32 but like you I just bought a Bobcat 21A 22LR too.
Mine is “blue” with a threaded barrel……. Which is why I bought it.
It has a 1/2 X 28 threaded barrel and tgevfirstvthingbi did was throw my little Gemtech Suppressor on it.
Ran some 22LR subsonic ammo through it .
It was barrels of fun …… too much fun

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Have had one for a long time, pocket carry it quite often. As others have said, minimag for the win. Great gin, might even be the last one I will ever shoot it arthritis becomes real ugly in the future. You don’t have to rack the slide ever…

Reactions: Out West
21 - 40 of 41 Posts