GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks! I've been lurking here for awhile, waiting for my membership to be activated by the staff (the email link didn't do anything for me).

In any case, I've now got posting permissions and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Robin, a fifty something woman. I was not raised around guns, so have always had a healthy respect for them. Because I didn't understand them, I didn't even want to touch them, for fear I'd accidentally shoot them - I know, what a noob!

In any case, my partner of 24 years was raised in a military family and he's had guns, and I had no interest in them.

But - with the political climate and all the "peaceful" protests, I decided that it was time to pull the proverbial trigger. I also spoke to some trusted friends, during the Atlanta riots, who are now retired from law enforcement and every one of them told me to get gun education and get armed.

About a week and a half ago, I picked up my first gun, a Glock 48. I've not loaded it yet, nor shot it - because I'm about to have hand surgery next week on my dominant hand - for a "trigger thumb" - it's really called that. Ironic, huh? But I have been getting familiar with handling it safely, working the slide and the slide lock, the magizine release and how to properly hold it and proper placement of the support hand.

It should only be a couple of stitches at the base of my thumb, and once healed, my first thing will be to take a beginner's class at our local gun club, and then continue taking classes that they offer and spend time at the range practicing and practicing.

I may have committed the ultimate "sin" and went with a "stars and stipes" Glock 48, rather than the black with silver slide one. I was feeling patriotic that day, and "thought" it may be my only gun purchase, so I wanted what I wanted.

However, I've since ordered a black Glock 43 from a friend who owns an online gun store in FL, and it's paid for, but on back order from Glock. She said back order was better than OOS - and we're on the wait list. Will be shipped to the same gun store I purchased the G48 from.

As you can tell, I'm a bit wordy! Not sure how to add a photo from my computer.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Great to have you -- enjoy your tour and for every question there is an answer (sometimes wrong, but an answer nontheless). My EDC is G19.4 and wifes is G42.

Reactions: rabernet

·
JAFO
4,399 Posts
Welcome to G.T. from southern Illinois.

·
Venor ergo sum
Gun control is about CONTROL.
3,527 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your purchases. A firearm with the stars and bars on it will never be considered a “sin” among firearms/2A supporters. Enjoy!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome and congratulations on your purchases. A firearm with the stars and bars on it will never be considered a “sin” among firearms/2A supporters. Enjoy!
Thank you! I said that, since I'd read a few threads where people wanted to do a paint job on their guns, and the consensus seemed to be a more "purist" approach.

I think I figured out the sharing a photo from my PC. :)

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

·
Bitter American
439 Posts
Hello Robin and welcome to GT from Kentucky. I like that you got the pistol that you wanted and have to admit that it looks great. I hope your surgery goes well and you are able to shoot soon.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Sweet looking piece. I thought from your first post that it was red/white/blue and wasn't going to comment. I personally prefer something that blends in, but yours is great.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sweet looking piece. I thought from your first post that it was red/white/blue and wasn't going to comment. I personally prefer something that blends in, but yours is great.
Yeah, this was about as "over the top" as I would go. They had a G43 in this paint job still in stock as of last Friday, but I wanted to go with all black for that one. It's the only G43 they had left in stock.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Welcome. We are glad to have you. With the election runoff's looming in Georgia, perhaps you could share a perspective as to what is going on down there? More specifically, are the Republicans going to retain control of the Senate?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new pistols! I have a 43 and a number of 17s and a 19x. Have been thinking about a 48 as well. Love that stars & strips color scheme!

After you’re comfortable with your new handguns, consider adding long guns with an AR-15!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Oh, that is beautiful. I love it.

Here is a mesmerizing video of basically how a Glock functions:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome. We are glad to have you. With the election runoff's looming in Georgia, perhaps you could share a perspective as to what is going on down there? More specifically, are the Republicans going to retain control of the Senate?
Hard to really tell - I do believe that this election was stolen in GA and I don't trust them not to do it again (should they be so bold) in the run off's. Supposedly, Sidney Powell is filing here tomorrow - we'll see what happens. Cobb County seems to have repeated their destroying of ballots again today with another recycling company. Kemp is dirty, and I will hold my nose and vote for Loeffler - I would have preferred Collins.

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new pistols! I have a 43 and a number of 17s and a 19x. Have been thinking about a 48 as well. Love that stars & strips color scheme!

After you’re comfortable with your new handguns, consider adding long guns with an AR-15!
My next door neighbor just picked up an AR-15 from the same gun store I got my G48 from. We were discussing which home we would gather in if needed to fortify, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Oh, that is beautiful. I love it.

Here is a mesmerizing video of basically how a Glock functions:

I've watched that video a few times now!

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi folks! I've been lurking here for awhile, waiting for my membership to be activated by the staff (the email link didn't do anything for me).

In any case, I've now got posting permissions and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Robin, a fifty something woman. I was not raised around guns, so have always had a healthy respect for them. Because I didn't understand them, I didn't even want to touch them, for fear I'd accidentally shoot them - I know, what a noob!

In any case, my partner of 24 years was raised in a military family and he's had guns, and I had no interest in them.

But - with the political climate and all the "peaceful" protests, I decided that it was time to pull the proverbial trigger. I also spoke to some trusted friends, during the Atlanta riots, who are now retired from law enforcement and every one of them told me to get gun education and get armed.

About a week and a half ago, I picked up my first gun, a Glock 48. I've not loaded it yet, nor shot it - because I'm about to have hand surgery next week on my dominant hand - for a "trigger thumb" - it's really called that. Ironic, huh? But I have been getting familiar with handling it safely, working the slide and the slide lock, the magizine release and how to properly hold it and proper placement of the support hand.

It should only be a couple of stitches at the base of my thumb, and once healed, my first thing will be to take a beginner's class at our local gun club, and then continue taking classes that they offer and spend time at the range practicing and practicing.

I may have committed the ultimate "sin" and went with a "stars and stipes" Glock 48, rather than the black with silver slide one. I was feeling patriotic that day, and "thought" it may be my only gun purchase, so I wanted what I wanted.

However, I've since ordered a black Glock 43 from a friend who owns an online gun store in FL, and it's paid for, but on back order from Glock. She said back order was better than OOS - and we're on the wait list. Will be shipped to the same gun store I purchased the G48 from.

As you can tell, I'm a bit wordy! Not sure how to add a photo from my computer.
Welcome to GT.
You're gonna LOVE the G43 when you get it. It's a safe, reliable, concealable little beastie. It's a tad 'snappy', and the 7-round capacity is less than desirable. But the way I see it, if you needed more than that, you were outnumbered from the start anyway.
While you wait for it, may I suggest you order a set of Talon Grips grip appliques, because the standard grips are very "slippery". Either that, or if you know someone with a good hand at stippling grips, I would have that done. The Talon grips are inexpensive and transform the g43 though.
Even though I'm a big guy, the G43 is all I carry anymore. I modified mine with a guide rod laser, But don't bother, it's a silly toy. I replaced the standard Glock crapsights with Trijicon iridium night sights; Awesome in all lighting conditions and I highly recommend them. And I shelved the still-virgin stock barrel and threw-in a True Precision stainless barrel; Another $200 "don't bother, toy" add-on, but highly accurate.
BTW; You ain't the only one around here who gets a little "wordy" ;)
EDIT: I have "trigger finger" in both hands too, both my 'bird' fingers. Once, I got stuck on a radio tower, 50ft up, because i literally could not let-go!! I want the surgery, but cannot get a referral for it. Every time I've tried, the doc they send me to just injects that "WD40" juice, or whatever that steroid crap is, and the pain from the injection lasts for a week, and is worse than living with trigger finger. So I just live with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome to GT.
You're gonna LOVE the G43 when you get it. It's a safe, reliable, concealable little beastie. It's a tad 'snappy', and the 7-round capacity is less than desirable. But the way I see it, if you needed more than that, you were outnumbered from the start anyway.
While you wait for it, may I suggest you order a set of Talon Grips grip appliques, because the standard grips are very "slippery". Either that, or if you know someone with a good hand at stippling grips, I would have that done. The Talon grips are inexpensive and transform the g43 though.
Even though I'm a big guy, the G43 is all I carry anymore. I modified mine with a guide rod laser, But don't bother, it's a silly toy. I replaced the standard Glock crapsights with Trijicon iridium night sights; Awesome in all lighting conditions and I highly recommend them. And I shelved the still-virgin stock barrel and threw-in a True Precision stainless barrel; Another $200 "don't bother, toy" add-on, but highly accurate.
BTW; You ain't the only one around here who gets a little "wordy" ;)
EDIT: I have "trigger finger" in both hands too, both my 'bird' fingers. Once, I got stuck on a radio tower, 50ft up, because i literally could not let-go!! I want the surgery, but cannot get a referral for it. Every time I've tried, the doc they send me to just injects that "WD40" juice, or whatever that steroid crap is, and the pain from the injection lasts for a week, and is worse than living with trigger finger. So I just live with it.
Thanks for the welcome and all the suggestions. I was actually looking at these grips in black for the G43
https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/glock-grips/handall-beavertail-grip-sleeves/models-42-43

I've had the Trijicon night sights bookmarked, but need to get through Christmas before I can put that in my budget (unless they have a killer Black Friday sale). And my local gun store has an amorer - so I'd have them install them most likely.

Sorry you can't get a referral for your trigger fingers. My PCP referred me straight to the hand surgeon, who did want to try the steroid injection first. But, since I am diabetic, that steroid shot wreaked havoc on my blood sugar (knew that it would), and I had to use insulin for a few days to control it (I control my blood sugar through my diet primarily - I don't ever want to become insulin dependent). He had told me that if that didn't help, our option was either to repeat the injection OR surgery. I called before my follow up and said I wanted to go straight to surgery, and here we are!

I hope that you are able to finally get a referral and relief soon! There are days it's more annoying than anything and others where it's painful to grip anything. I actually thought I was getting arthritis in my hands and the thumb was just the start.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts