Glock Talk banner

New guide rod?

968 Views 14 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  AK74play
I have a 3.5 ghost rocket connector in my gen 4 G17. My question is what difference will putting a new guide rod in? I know they are around 60$ for a stainless steel one and want to see if it's worth it to purchase. Glock is also sending me a new spring due to the recall with the gen 4. Thanks in advance for input.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,604 Posts
I have a 3.5 ghost rocket connector in my gen 4 G17. My question is what difference will putting a new guide rod in? I know they are around 60$ for a stainless steel one and want to see if it's worth it to purchase. Glock is also sending me a new spring due to the recall with the gen 4. Thanks in advance for input.[/QUOTE

A Stainless guide rod shouldn't cost any where near 60 bucks. You need to check someplace other than where your looking. I have them in all 18 of my Gen 3 Glocks and didn't pay even half that for any of them.

· Registered
4,152 Posts
I have a 3.5 ghost rocket connector in my gen 4 G17. My question is what difference will putting a new guide rod in? I know they are around 60$ for a stainless steel one and want to see if it's worth it to purchase. Glock is also sending me a new spring due to the recall with the gen 4. Thanks in advance for input.
No where near $60. IMO, they don't really do anything unless you are trying to tune you recoil spring for heavy or light loads.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/7_Parts+&+Accessories/2138_Stainless+Steel+Guide+Rod/

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com...ainless_Steel_Guide_Rod_for_Glock_17_17C.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=...87_a_7c3466_a_7c100006811_d_100006811_d_10588

· Registered
5,084 Posts

· Until I Gota 29
3,063 Posts
You have a perfectly good guide rod already. There's no need to swap it, unless you are planning extensive modifications that require a spring weight change. Modifying guns is like modifying cars, but without the payoff (for most things). When you do something like put a supercharger or turbo on a car, it can seriously reduce the reliability of that car. However, you will probably get at least a 50% improvement in horsepower, and depending on you, that may be worth it. With guns, on the other hand, you don't usually get that boost in "horsepower". Take the guide rod, for instance. What is it supposed to do? I can tell you that I have an aftermarket guide rod and heavier springs for my G29, and they only have one purpose: slow down the slide to reduce battering and keep my brass closer. They also cause reliability issues. With a G17, there really isn't any ammo that needs a heavier spring, so you won't really see any benefits. Some places CLAIM that recoil is reduced, but I can tell you that recoil with my heavier springs is MUCH worse. I think you should stick with the stock piece. I have never heard of one failing. I'm sure one has in the history of Glock, but no more than a few. The more you modify your gun, the less reliable it will become. With guns, the ONLY thing that matters is that it goes boom every time you pull the trigger.

· Registered
1,604 Posts
A stainless guid rod cant possibly make a Glock un or less reliable, now the choice of springs you put on it could if you go to extremes one way or the other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.