close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New GSSF shooter has questions....

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Germanasian, Apr 5, 2003.

1. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Hi, here goes:

1) I am not and have never been a GSSF member. I live in Phoenix and there is a match next weekend. Can I just show up and shoot or did I need to register in advance?

2) Is it just $25 to shoot and that's it? Or is it $25 per category PLUS $25 to join GSSF?

3) I have a Barsto in my G20. Is it cool to use it or do I have to use the stock barrel?

4) How long does the match usually take?

Thanks!;a

2. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

I just shot my very first GSSF match last weekend, so I'm new to the game also but I will take a stab at answering your questions. I'm sure some of the more experienced members will chime in with some very sound advice, everyone here seems very helpful to us newbies.

"1) I am not and have never been a GSSF member. I live in Phoenix and there is a match next weekend. Can I just show up and shoot or did I need to register in advance?"

I just showed up and joined and registered at the match, it took all of five minutes and I had to watch a video about GSSF and the safety rules. When I arrived at the match there weren't too many shooters there so registration was a breeze for me.

"2) Is it just $25 to shoot and that's it? Or is it $25 per category PLUS $25 to join GSSF?"

I think I paid $25 to join GSSF the day of the match and $35 for my registraiotn fee for AM/CIV, it was something like that. But it is my understanding that you can enter up to four categories and each category would cost you $25.

"3) I have a Barsto in my G20. Is it cool to use it or do I have to use the stock barrel?"

If you use it you would have to shoot in unlimited/master class. If you want to shoot AM/CIV, Stockmeister, AM/LE, or Competition class you would have to put your stock barrel back in.

"4) How long does the match usually take?"

I arrived a little bit before 9 am and was out by 12:00.

Here is a tip that Don at PC gave me. When you get your score sheets go to each station, Glock M, Five to Glock and Glock the Plates, and turn your score sheets in at each station first. I was turning my score sheet in at each station as I was ready to shoot it, and this was causing me a lot of down time. I thought that if you weren't at a station when you're name was called you would automatically fall to the bottom of the stack, and this is not the case. Your sheet will remain at the same spot in the stack until your name is called, so turn your sheets in as soon as your done watching the video.

Here is a link with some good information. I found it very useful.

http://www.sportshooter.com/GSSF/

Enjoy your first match, I know I did!

3. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Yep. ;c

P.S. Why did you have to fork over $35 instead of $25 to shoot AM/CIV?

4. Don At PC

Don At PC Senior Member Millennium Member

If you register to shoot at least a week prior to the match it will only cost you $25 but if you wait and register at the match or less than a week prior to the match the first catageory you register to shoot will cost you $35 and then each additional category will be $25. Most of us check the schedule for the entire year and select the ones we think we can make and then fax our registration in early. I faxed mine in for Anderson, Richmond and Dallas all on 5 Mar. This way GSSF has time to preprint your score sheets and have the roster ready prior to the match which greatly speeds up registration/check in time the day of the match. Besides the Sportshooter.com site I suggest you check out the www.gssfonline.com site for additional info.

Hope this is helpfull.

5. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Don,

So if I faxed in the sheet today, would it be too late to slip in under the radar for the 12th and 13th match next weekend and avoid the extra $10?

Thanks

6. Don At PC

Not 100% sure but probably. You would have a 50/50 chance. Since they are not in the office normally on the weekend it would be Monday before they would see it, but you might give it a try. I try to send mine in at least 3 to 4 weeks ahead sometimes more. If you preregister and for some reason don't make the match they will credit your registration fees to the next match you intend to make.

7. Germanasian

Germanasian Word

Looks like I'll have to fork over the extra $10.:( The www.gssfonline.com website is temporarily down right now. They have a preregistration form that you can pay with paypal. I have cancelled my account and refuse to use them because of their staunch anti-gun stance. The other form is in pdf form, and for some reason (that I don't understand), my computer is refusing to launch Adobe Acrobat.

Oh well.

I hope I don't get smoked too badly and I hope they still have some of those orange G20 mags there!!!:cool:

8. PeaceKeeper

PeaceKeeper

Welcome to the world of Glock and the GSSF, have a great time.

9. Don At PC

Germanasian;
    Are you using the 5.0 version of acrobat? I don't use PayPal for the same reason. I use their fill-in form and then print it and fax it in with my visa/mc.

10. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are no G20 orange mags left. GSSF has been selling them at matches since October 1999, but the supply is exhausted.