New GSSF G-17!

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Carlitos, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Carlitos

Carlitos

Looks like I go one of the last ones available - my serial number is about GSSF96X. Can't beat the price - its below commercial dealer and is in line with Glock's LE price. In accordance w/ my Glock's intended purpose, I fired the very first rounds through it in competition! Shot a local IPSC/USPSA match with it where it performed just fine! (no, I did not win). Did some accuracy testing off a rest at 50 yards, then offhand at 50 yards and maybe it needs some work; have swaped over the Glock brand factory parts from Glockmeister.com that include a full 3.5 trigger w/ overtravel, RP striker spring, and extended slide stop (still need the G-34 mag release and Firesight front blade - who has the best prices?). Will report back on how the modded Glock shoots. Overall, I am very pleased - thank you Glock!

2. don't tread on me

don't tread on me

3. Contrail

Contrail

At an IDPA match this past weekend, I saw GSSF998. Unfortunately, it had a run-in with some bad ammo.

On the shooter's first shot on the third stage, the target was perforated with many small holes instead of one 9mm sized one and he experienced a Type III malfunction. He cleared the malfunction and fired again. Once again, many small holes instead of just one. This time the pistol was locked up tight with the slide about 3/4 of the way back.

When we examined the gun later, we could not get the slide to budge in either direction and looking down the barrel, it appeared that there was a ring where the barrel bulged out about 2" from the muzzle. We couldn't tell for sure, because we couldn't move the slide to disassemble the gun.

The shooter said that he was shooting factory new ammo. (I'm not going to post the brand name because I didn't actually see the box of ammo.)

The moral of the story is that if you expect to see a single 9mm sized hole, but instead see many small ones, stop shooting immediately and have the weapon examined by a qualified armorer or gunsmith.

4. 9mmMike

9mmMike The Fun-Police Millennium Member

I am surprised to hear that you saw 998 since the GSSF page says there are 33 pistols left as of the 15th.
    That math does not work unless they are not selling them in numerical order.
    Interesting.............
    Mike

5. 9mmMike

Congrats Carlitos! Mine is only a few numbers ahead of yours. It's stayin' stock though.
    Good luck with yours and happy GSSFing!

Mike

6. Vanek Custom

Vanek Custom

They are not selling them in numerical order.I got mine in June.

7. 9mmMike

That's wild. I'm getting the image of a box full (or not so full now) of GSSF pistols and some guy just reachin' in there to toss one in the UPS box. Funny, well I guess you had to be there, in my mind, to see..... nevermind! ;)
    Mike

8. 9mmMike

The other weird thing is that my serial number fits in right where it should as when I bought mine there were around forty left, according to the GSSF WEB site.
    It's a shame we couldn't take a stab at picking our numbers. It would have been a clerical nightmare for Glock no doubt but it still would have been cool.
    Mike

9. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

9MM,

The first several hundred went out in numerical order. Aftere that, it was just pick a pistol and ship it.

10. Carlitos

Carlitos

Yeah I am pleased with it so far; the bench testing was with Blazer and Brazilian MagTech 115 grn. FMJ. The very loose, relaxed, grip I used resulted in a malfuncion nearly every time and that is to be expected with an intentionally loose grip; in contrast, under real world match conditions, it functioned 100% (of course). My other Glock 9mm - a stock G19 - has been reliable for nearly 10 years!

As far as 50 yard accuracy, will see if it improves with time or further modification. Already dropped in the Glockbrand overtravel trigger w/ a 3.5 connector.

BTW, its a shame but we rarely see the 50 yard targets in IPSC anymore; 40 yards is fairly common though and with a Glock 9mm, the target we need to hit (sometimes on the move!) is about 5"x11" (the "A" zone). Might try some other brands of ammo although I had planned on shooting Natchezz CCI blazer 115 to keep down costs.