Glock Talk banner

New Glock

1857 Views 42 Replies 39 Participants Last post by  buzzardmuzik1
I'm about to buy my first glock. If you could only pick 1 what would it be and why?
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
I'd say in my opinion the best all around is the 19. Small enough for carry, large enough to play with at the range comfortably. I think it's the best Glock made, with the 30S being second, but I prefer the "mid-size" guns over the sub compacts and full size because they are a great compromise on size.

· Registered
59,814 Posts
I have thought for a while that if I only had two Glocks they would be the G26 and the G34. After a few years and some thousands out there proving long term reliability and durability it is possible the G43 may replace the G26 on my list of two. Based on that the choice to me would depend on whether my use was for concealed carrying; then it would be the G26. If for use as the range, then the G34 would be it. If my long term plan was to own only one handgun, the G19 probably would move to the top of the list.

· Registered
3,566 Posts
Im thinking about going with the g19 9mm i just dont know about which gen to get. Looking to use it for self-defense an targeting/prepping if that helps any.
I think you're making a good decision with a G19. It's an excellent Glock for your needs. IMO, the Gen 4 is the way to go but if you get a good deal on a Gen 3, that's not a bad choice either. Some folks like the Gen 3 better. If you can, handle and shoot both a Gen 3 and Gen 4 and go with what feels best to you. Buy a bunch of ammo and some good range gear (muffs/glasses) and go have some fun.

· Registered
132 Posts
Anything in .45 first. Anything in 9mm second. Don't get me wrong, I have multiple pistols in 9, including the G19, but, for overall SD/HD and survival uses, I prefer the .45 ACP.

Reactions: swanny85

· Registered
1,966 Posts
19, either gen.

It's the 'all-arounder', and 9mm is cheap, plentiful, and easy to shoot whilst still being a good self-defense round. If someone doesn't like the 19, they probably just won't like Glocks in general.

· Registered
653 Posts
For a first gun, I'd recommend the Glock 19. 9mm is the easiest to shoot of all the major calibers. Great on the range, good for home/personal defense, plentiful ammunition. I'm a lover of the .40 S&W and I shoot a Glock 23. But I don't recommend it for first-time Glock owners. The .40 recoil is different - it's sharper and snappier. Takes some getting used to, and I've been shooting pistols up to the .45 1911 since I was twelve. Go for the Glock 19 and you'll be a happy camper. It does it all, easily. I bought a conversion barrel and G19 magazines to turn my G23 into a G19 for a change of pace at the range. It's a joy to shoot.

· Registered
2,356 Posts
Since last Oct till about father's Day 2015 I carried a G19 gen4. As an early Birthday/father's Day Gift, my LOVING WIFE, bought me a G17 gen 4 and a set of XS Big Dot Sights. This G17 is my new EDC. I am in love with it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.