close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock Spring placement?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tres55555, Jan 4, 2006.

1. tres55555

tres55555

I just got a new Glock 19. I took it apart for the first time and after putting it back together and racking it I noticed the spring does not sit exactly in the grove shown in owners manual (half circle area towards the back of the barrel). I have not noticed that it has affected the gun at all but it bothers me. Should it sit precisely down in the half circle grove in the back of the barrel or is it normal that it sits a little high?

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

The end of the guide rod should sit at the bottom of the semicircular cutout in the barrel lug when you are installing the slide on the frame. This is a common source of guide rod damage.

Once the slide is on the frame, that end of the guide rod is no longer in contact with the semicircular cutout in the barrel lug. It actually presses against the plastic 'shelf' directly in front of the slide lock. It may or may not return to the same location in the barrel lug when you disassemble - it doesn't matter either way.

This is a video of the barrel lug and slide lock during the slide installation process. If you watch the end of the recoil spring, you can see it separate from the barrel lug.

edited to add this picture. You can see that the end of the recoil spring assembly is not in contact with the barrel lug.

[​IMG]

Randy