new glock owner.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by shortstack, Feb 23, 2010.

1. shortstack

shortstack

ok, i have traded a xd 45 gap for a glock 17, 2nd gen?. the kid that i traded said it had never been fired. when i got home, i immediately took it apart to clean it. i noticed that the factory lube was still in place. so it lead me to believe that it really hasnt been fired. the gun is in immaculant condition, paper work had a print date saying it was 1991 when the manual was printed. if this is a 19 year old gun, ill never bug anything else but a glock for a hand gun ever. it lloks brand new. so how do i tell what year it was made? im not even sure its a 2nd gen, how can i tell? the numbers on the barrel and slide and frame are all matching. AXB368. CAN ANY MAGAZINES MAD BY GLOCK FOR 9MM FIT IN IT? can i inter change parts from newer 17's? sorry for all the newb ?'s but i dont know shyt about this gun, but i do know it fires great. i want to get different sights though. any info will be much appreciated.

2. nedfolks

nedfolks

go to the serial number thread in valuble info section

3. das9mm26

das9mm26

shortstack....
    Does your 17 still have the test-fired cases with it? If so, the envelope SHOULD have the firing date on it, along with the tester's name....
    BTW.....regardless of age.....sounds like you got a PRISTINE 17!!!
    Enjoy it....and, BTW, parts for it are easy to come by....and not expensive.

4. Deputy206

Deputy206

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats and welcome! You cannot interchange every single part, there have been a few changes to the design. But you should have no trouble finding parts for your model. A few of the design changes that come to mind are the number of pins in the frame(trigger pin and trigger housing pin, locking block pin was added to design later) and the angle of the ejection port. Also, the ejector on your trigger housing might be the old straight ejector. The newest 9mm Glock Trigger Housings have "bent" ejectors.

Depending on the angle of your ejection port, you might have to use 90 degree extractors and NON-LCI(loaded chamber indicator) spring loaded bearings. The newer LCI style of extractors are cut to 15 degrees, as is the ejection port, and those require use of an LCI spring loaded bearing.

For the number of pins your frame has, there are different locking blocks and slide stops for two-pin and three-pin models.

Basically, there are 90 degree and 15 degree extractors and ejection ports. There are NON-LCI and LCI extractors and spring loaded bearings. There are parts for two-pin models and parts for three-pin models.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  6. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Lots of folks know more than me about Glock mechanics, but no one has yet answered your question about magazines.

You should be able to use any 9 mm magazines except the 10-round G26 and the 15-round G19 mags. They are too short, but others should work fine, as I understand.

7. shortstack

shortstack

some good info, thanks gents. i agree, for being 16 years old, its a beauty. heres a pic. im glad i can use any 9mm mag. thats great. once again thank you guys for answering my questions and valuable info.

Attached Files:

8. SagKC

SagKC

Welcome and congrats! :wavey: Great find and a nice Glock!

9. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

10. Zertek

Zertek

Congrats you are one lucky guy getting a 17 like that..........

11. bac1023

bac1023

12. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

You traded up for sure!... even though I love the XD trigger after its broken in and how thick the rails and everything is on my XD.

13. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

Congrats! I can't imagine having a gun that long and never shooting it.

14. skanless

skanless IPA ISLAND

Welcome to the dark side. :wavey:

15. den888

den888

16. shortstack

shortstack

thanks guys, i love the glock. every time i went to the range i rented a g26. so i got used to the glocks performance. when the kid said that he would trade i jumped on it. had it in my hands withing a couple hours. glad that i got this gun in such pristine condition. but this is my first of many glocks. next up will be either the g30m or a g21.