close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New glock owner question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by mykidzrule, May 26, 2012.

1. mykidzrule

mykidzrule

Hey everybody. I bought a new g19 gen4 and went out and shot it today. It shot great. My question is when my slide locked back after the last round in the mag, i dropped the mag, put in a new one and slapped it in. when i did this the slide went forward and chambered a round. I did this a few times. So i tried it without any rounds in the mag and nothing happened. The slide didnot go forward. Is this because the mags are new or is it something else. Thanks. New glock owner. New to glocktalk.

2. Spartacus100

Spartacus100

Welcome...My G21 does it too and i think most do and that its fairly normal.

3. JudgeRoyBean

JudgeRoyBean NRA Life Member

You should be able to release the slide on an empty magazine by simply releasing the slide lock with your thumb.This is normal for Glocks. :cool:

4. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Hi, it's okay. I can do this on purpose on a lot of my pistols if I put a loaded magazine in forcefully with my palm at a 45 degree angle to the base plate of the magazine. My H&K P2000s do this very easily, others not as easily.

Last edited: May 26, 2012
  5. Motor City Glocker

Motor City Glocker Gun Addict

I've never had my slide come forward when inserting a mag but from what I've read it can happen from time to time. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Congrats on your new Glock and welcome to Glocktalk.:cool:

6. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Its normal. You can slap your next loaded mag into your gun and it will load your first round. It won't do this with an empty magazine.:supergrin:All is well with your G19. Enjoy:wavey:

7. bigbluedodge

bigbluedodge

OK I'm new so I don't know how much this will help, but I just took my slide off and looked at how the slide stop lever is and how it interacts with the magazine. If you put a loaded mag in it then the slide stop lever looks like it shouldn't hit it, but with it empty the same slide stop lever hits the follower in the mag and pushes up the slide stop lever to lock open the slide. Also if you look at the clearences you can see how the mag when inserted could catch the slide stop lever, but as far as it coming up and causing the slide to close, if others have this "problem" and it aint broke then it cant be all that bad, I tried it in my new G21 and G30 and it did not release the slide after trying it 30 times in each gun, so who knows, others with more experience will weigh in.

8. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

when you learn to insert not "slap it in" it will stop.

Also if you read the MANUAL it says to pull the slide to the rear and release.

9. Paul53

Paul53 Scream catcher

The Glock was first designed for the Austrian Army. If you were in combat and emptied a magazine, having the next magazine automatically chamber a round saves precious time. I believe it's an intentional design feature.

Or did I misunderstand your question..........

10. mykidzrule

mykidzrule

no you understood the question. the reason i asked was my shooting partners g30 didnot go forward no matter how hard we tried. so i wasnt sure if this was normal. thanks for the reply.