Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a very new gun owner and am still learning the basics (of everything). I went to the range the other day and had several issues (jams/misfires) with CCI Blazer in aluminum casing fired through my G45 (1+ year old and just cleaned) and a brand new G43x. Both my guns and ammo have great reputations (from what I can find online) for reliability and no issues. So, I was a bit puzzled. Is it me, the guns or the ammo? Any advice welcome. Thanks!

·
NRA Life Member
5,672 Posts
What is the bullet weight?

I've experienced and seen shooters using 115gr ammo having your experience, I generally stick with 124gr which functions fine for me in ball or HP configuration.

Just a thought!

Reactions: billorights

·
Registered
27,816 Posts
How many rounds through the 1 year old gun?

Guns with only a few rounds may be a little -- stiff new springs - 115 Blazer - aluminum or brass is decent range ammo but a little on the lower power side.

I will bet after a few hundred rounds they will be fine with all ammo -

I replaced my recoil, firing pin and mag spring all at the same time and got a few failures to feed with cheap range ammo - but when using my SD ammo it was 100% -

What are you using as your SD round?

I bet it will run fine with 124 or 147 grain JHP - heavier bullet + SD rounds usually have a little more power.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I used the same ammo recently to break in a brand new Glock 26.5 and 43x recently. The Glock 26 is just a smaller version of the 45 but the internals are the same. I had no issues whatsoever with the 26.5 and 43x. However, I do have solid fundamentals with my grip and stance so I don't have a chance of limp wristing. Also, I have the habit of working the slide a bit on new guns before shooting. In fact, I used the brand new 26.5 for a competition shooting without ever shooting it and it performed great under pressure.

I suggest working the slide a bit or check to make sure you have a firm grip.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
make sure the slide grooves are oiled. not too much, but not dry either. ditto the barrel and elsewhere on the slide per the manual. pull the slide cover plate and firing pin assembly and make sure the firing pin tunnel is clear of aluminum and brass case filings. don’t oil it, just use forced air to clear it if needed. ditto the firing pin safety channel. be sure not to lose the firing pin safety spring. ditto the extractor, extractor plunger, spring and channel while you’re at it. watch lenny of the glock store on youtube for disassembly instruction if needed. get someone who knows what they’re doing on the range to critique you on grip and stance. limp wristing is common with new shooters. it’s technique, not how strong you are. and be patient. you’ll get there.

·
NRA Member
4,545 Posts
Welcome to GT

Since it happens with both guns I would suspect it's something you're doing wrong, like limp wristing.

First, I'd try a little tighter grip and keep your wrist locked and see if that helps.

If it's still a problem, get an experienced shooter to try both guns and see if they have the same issues.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Congrats on the new hand guns.

Take a lesson e.g. NRA basic pistol course or at your local range to learn good shooting technique. As mentioned it may be your grip/technique.

The only ammo I've had problems with over the years is blazer as it is a little under powered for guns with stiff new recoil springs. I try to use S&B 115g as that brand tends to be loaded a little hotter.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I am not a fan of Blazer aluminum 9mm. It is loaded a bit liter, cause of the weaker aluminum case, but it should still work.
Try a box of anything else that has brass casings (Winchester White Box is a standard)
Pay attention to your grip. You want a firm grip, but not a death grip either.
If the problem still exist, have someone else shout your gun for a magazine or two and if they have zero problems, then it is something you are doing.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The Blazer aluminum, though not my favorite, should not be the problem. Concur with many of the above comments of possibly grip issue or lack of lube, but since it is a Glock only minimal lube is required. Find a reputable handgun instructor for a coaching class which should improve your shooting and teach you proper grip and stance. We can talk on the internet all day, but nothing beats having the instructor stand next to you and help.

Good luck and keep shooting.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
As far as lube. The gun will run fine if no lube is used as all. About four drops is about all Glock recommends. So lack of lube would not cause the OP problem.

Training would be very good for all new shooters.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts