Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

First time posting, along with being a relatively new first time Glock owner. Picked up a G30s when my Taurus of 10+ years decided to go select fire on me; but that's a whole other story. I was doing a cleaning after a nice range trip today and was getting pretty frustrated with the Bore. I know, Glock and Cleaning for many aren't two things that get mentioned in the same sentence. Rub some dirt on it and put it away, right! But, I'm one of those people that obsesses over having a clean firearm, especially one I'll be carrying.
So, back to my cleaning issue. Up until now I used a combo of Gunzilla, wipeout, and/or Butch's with nylon brushes and patches. It worked fine for the Taurus, but I couldn't seem to get, what looked like carbon fouling, out of my G30s bore. I do use brass brushes with everything else I own (9mm, 5.56, .308, etc). So, I figured maybe the Nylon wasn't cutting it. But, I dont have a .45 brass brush and it's too late to go to Walmart. So, into the box of cleaning supplies I went to see if any of the other brushes would do the job. Turns out, a .308 chamber brush fits a .45 barrel like a glove! The result...night and day difference. The patch on the bottom was run through after using Nylon, patches, wipeout, Butch's, and Gunzilla. The top was after Gunzilla and the .308 chamber brush!

I wish I'd taken a picture of the Bore after using the "normal" method, but I did snap a pic after doing the copper chamber brush and dry patching out. Doesn't get much cleaner than this!

Moral of the story, solvents and patches only go so far. If you want all the crud gone you need to hit it with a brush. Now, many may already know about the benefit of Brass over Nylon. But, I hope someone benefits from the .308 chamber brush trick. I don't think I'll even bother buying a .45 copper brush after seeing how well this worked.

BTW. While this is my first Glock. I can definitely say it won't be my last. I'm even thinking of trading off my S&W MP9c for a G19. I wouldn't say I'm a "fanboy" yet. But I certainly understand the cult following. Great shooter, reliable, accurate, and just plain fun.

Thanks for reading...I have a tendency to be a bit long winded. Happy shooting!

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Thanks for the tip...yeah, the nylon brushes never get it all. I swear it is nearly impossible to get the barrel 100% clean, even with a brass brush.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip...yeah, the nylon brushes never get it all. I swear it is nearly impossible to get the barrel 100% clean, even with a brass brush.
No problem. I agree with the "100%" sentiment, and it's never going to be as clean as the first day you bought it. The OCD people like me just have to make peace with that. But, with the Chamber Brush trick, I don't know if there's a way I can get it any cleaner. It is a short barreled handgun after all, and not an AR or DMR. Even a moderately fouled bore isn't going to matter on a CCW.

Now, if you don't have a .45, you'll have to experiment with a different size brush. Maybe 5.56 for a 9mm? The .308 may still work on a .40. It was tight in the .45, but I didn't have to force anything. Good luck!

·
Just sayin'
4,642 Posts
After bringing multiple firearms to the range for years I don't like to spend too much time cleaning. Git er done! is now my cleaning mantra. If I don't shoot too many rounds, I'll just run a bore snake through the gun. I like using the Patch Worm cleaning kit also. Quick, easy, and fast. No need to be too obsessed with cleaning just make sure you do it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I use nothing but brass brushes on all my pistols, makes cleaning so much easier and better as you've noted. I never used the nylon brush that came with any Glock.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
No problem. I agree with the "100%" sentiment, and it's never going to be as clean as the first day you bought it. The OCD people like me just have to make peace with that.
Oh, I am also one of the OCD people!:supergrin: I try like hell to make it look new, it's ridiculous and unnecessary, but I can't help it. I keep round counts on my guns as well, as discussed in recent thread.

·
Controller
2,626 Posts
Yea, I to believe you need brass to get the job done right...

Last time I went to the ranch with some friends we put close to 600 rounds through my 19 and the thing was filthy...I did a full detail on both upper/lows and when I send to do the barrel I had a ***** of a time getting it clean...

I decided after a half hour of trying by hand, I placed my brass bore brush in my cordless drill and ran it slow speed back and fourth a few times and was amazed at how clean I was able to get it....

·
I'm your huckleberry....
18,108 Posts
Moral of the story, solvents and patches only go so far. If you want all the crud gone you need to hit it with a brush.
I, too, am a bit 'anal' about cleaning. I do it after every range trip! Now, I'll trade YOU a tip for a tip.

I use EEZOX dry lube (cleans and protects, too). Great all 'round product. At first purchase, my barrel(s) get a patch fulla EEZOX down 'em. Let it sit a while, barrel shines like a mirror and ......... has a dry film (think "Teflon") coating the barrel and feed ramp, etc. I can shoot 100-200 rounds and it sometimes looks like the gun hasn't been fired or fired a few rounds only! Cleaning is a patch with, yep you guessed it, EEZOX. Take that patch, wipe down other surfaces (leaves a nice, shiny surface on outside barrel), use my brass 'toothbrush' elsewhere, coat the breach face - DONE!!! The dirt & debris just don't stick. I can field strip, clean the pistol w/EEZOX and re-assemble in 10 minutes. I live alone so I can leave stuff out so I generally leave it all apart to dry a while and put together when I feel like it. But it IS a snap. And the metal is protected from rust to boot!

Reactions: K Dubya

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Hi All!

First time posting, along with being a relatively new first time Glock owner. Picked up a G30s when my Taurus of 10+ years decided to go select fire on me; but that's a whole other story. I was doing a cleaning after a nice range trip today and was getting pretty frustrated with the Bore. I know, Glock and Cleaning for many aren't two things that get mentioned in the same sentence. Rub some dirt on it and put it away, right! But, I'm one of those people that obsesses over having a clean firearm, especially one I'll be carrying.
So, back to my cleaning issue. Up until now I used a combo of Gunzilla, wipeout, and/or Butch's with nylon brushes and patches. It worked fine for the Taurus, but I couldn't seem to get, what looked like carbon fouling, out of my G30s bore. I do use brass brushes with everything else I own (9mm, 5.56, .308, etc). So, I figured maybe the Nylon wasn't cutting it. But, I dont have a .45 brass brush and it's too late to go to Walmart. So, into the box of cleaning supplies I went to see if any of the other brushes would do the job. Turns out, a .308 chamber brush fits a .45 barrel like a glove! The result...night and day difference. The patch on the bottom was run through after using Nylon, patches, wipeout, Butch's, and Gunzilla. The top was after Gunzilla and the .308 chamber brush!

I wish I'd taken a picture of the Bore after using the "normal" method, but I did snap a pic after doing the copper chamber brush and dry patching out. Doesn't get much cleaner than this!

Moral of the story, solvents and patches only go so far. If you want all the crud gone you need to hit it with a brush. Now, many may already know about the benefit of Brass over Nylon. But, I hope someone benefits from the .308 chamber brush trick. I don't think I'll even bother buying a .45 copper brush after seeing how well this worked.

BTW. While this is my first Glock. I can definitely say it won't be my last. I'm even thinking of trading off my S&W MP9c for a G19. I wouldn't say I'm a "fanboy" yet. But I certainly understand the cult following. Great shooter, reliable, accurate, and just plain fun.

Thanks for reading...I have a tendency to be a bit long winded. Happy shooting!
Save the hassle and just buy a $15 boresnake in .45. I spray a bit of cleaner down the barrel and two pulls through the barrel and 10 seconds later and the inside of the barrel looks as if it has never been fired. When the boresnake starts to get filthy I soak it in dish detergent for a couple hours, air dry it, and it is good to go for about 20 or so more cleanings. All the boresnake doesn't get is the carbon on the feed ramp which a brass brush makes short work of.

·
You local friendly Skynet dealer
13,937 Posts
Tried a size 9 M&M boresnake with CLP on my 19, did a terrific job cleaning, but I got a boresnake to face.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts