New Glock no experience Left or Right Hand?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by MTRG16, Jul 4, 2020.

1. MTRG16

MTRG16

I am all screwed up. I write and eat lefty. Bat and throw right. My left eye is my best. I have been practicing looking at target and sighting on it both hands can work and don't feel weird. I think left hand is what I should do because of my sight. Is that right?

This is how my week is going. Four more days to go of a mandatory 10 day wait for Washington State. Practicing draw and aim with a Nerf gun. Trying to buy ammo. Printing out free targets. Went back to LGS and bought another gun, because I can add it on and pick it up at the same time as the first. Trying to buy ammo online. Watching YouTube videos. I may be getting ammo one day before picking up guns. Found a couple good deals, but the prices are about double for most. Best deal was Sellier Bellot 124g 9mm for .25rd AFTER shipping. Plan on going target practicing next weekend. Celebrating Independence Day. My neighborhood usually calms down about 3am on the 4th.

NewYorker and -JCN- like this.
  2. NewYorker

NewYorker

For some reason Im right handed on everything but left eye likes to take over for shooting.

Id say try both and see whats more comfortable for you. I tried left but its awkward.

MTRG16 likes this.

3. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

Figure out your dominate eye and shoot with that hand.

oldmick, CAcop, pgg00 and 4 others like this.
  4. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

I’m a lefty but shoot right handed, it’s always seemed more natural to me. I’m right eye dominant.

5. Dave514

Dave514

If you write and eat lefty AND you are left eye dominant then I don't think anyone would advise you to do anything but shoot left handed.

oldmick, checkyoursix, CAcop and 3 others like this.
  6. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

Check your eye dominance to make sure.

1. Extend your arms out in front of you and create a triangular opening between your thumbs and forefingers by placing your hands together at a 45-degree angle.

2. With both eyes open, center this triangular opening on a distant object — such as a wall clock or door knob.

3. Close your left eye.

4. If the object stays centered, your right eye (the one that's open) is your dominant eye. If the object is no longer framed by your hands, your left eye is your dominant eye.

n2g likes this.
  7. MTRG16

MTRG16

ok thanks for that, I am left eye dominant. I will practice lefty.

oldmick and mmcbeat like this.
  8. Lucnik

Lucnik

I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I shoot pistols right handed using left eye. I shoot rifles left handed. Just practice. It’ll come.

RSCamaro and GlockyQ like this.
  9. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

Do what feels mechanically intuitive to you, and build on that.

10. cciman

cciman Mr. Spock

You might be ambidextrous. Throw the Nerf gun in the trash.

Get quality formal training, forget everything you thought you knew about guns/shooting absorbed through osmosis and Hollywood.

11. Sharkey

Sharkey

You are gonna no doubt shoot better with a certain hand. That said, practicing with the non dominant hand is also needed. I'm a lefty and after a hand injury, had to switch hands temporarily. Seeing that I practiced with both hands, it was an easy switch.

poodleplumber likes this.
  12. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

So you have bad table manners. ;-)

Aside from that, if you're left-eye dominant and your comfortable shooting with your left hand, that is what you should go with.

MTRG16 likes this.
  13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I'm in the exact same boat.

Lucnik likes this.
  14. GlockyQ

GlockyQ Custom Title

Same here. I feel very comfortable holding and shooting a long gun left-handed. But I still feel much more comfortable shooting any handgun right-handed, even though I always practice shooting my handgun left-handed for at least 50 rounds (out of 200 rounds) on every range visit....

MTRG16, Green Dragoon and Lucnik like this.
  15. lazarus66

lazarus66

16. JimBianchi

JimBianchi Da Da CLM

I am a natural lefty but ambi for many things, but am cross eye dominant. Been shooting this way for 40+ years. If you watch enough older shooters, you will be surprised at how many are cross-eyed dominate.

Over the years, I did very well in many marksmanship competitions.

When dealing with a major shoulder issue 6 years ago, I started shooting right handed for competition. It was grim. After a year I was only below average.

Practice with both hands, one will be significantly better than the other. Shoot and carry with that one, but train with both.

unit 900 and Lucnik like this.
  17. reniram

reniram

Same here and that's exactly what I do.

GlockyQ and Lucnik like this.
  18. mmcbeat

mmcbeat

OP, I’m not trying to complicate things but general practice is to shoot with both eyes open. Something to ponder.

19. sig357fan

sig357fan

good advice here, shoot in conjunction with eye dominance, both eyes open, practice with both hands.

I think that part you'll have the most trouble with is aligning sights with both eyes open, if so, try this.

get a cheep pair of safety glasses and stick a round sticker like a small target dot on the non-dominant eye lens so as to obscure the sights on the handgun when you have it extended to fire, this way you'll only be able to see and align the sights with your dominant eye, as you progress, change to a smaller and smaller dot until you don't need the dot and can align the sights with your dominant eye as you extend to fire, you need to train your eyes so you pick up the sights with your dominant eye while ignoring the sights with you non-dominant eye and still have a full field of view.

MTRG16 likes this.
  20. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

We're in good company. This is what Larry Vickers does

MTRG16 and GlockyQ like this.