Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, any help would be appreciated with an issue Im having. Ive only shot around 100 rounds but Ive had at least a handful of Failure to feeds. It ejects fine, but will occasionally hang a live round trying to feed. Ive tried different brand of brass ammo, in target loads, Winchester, Federal etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,853 Posts
Welcome, Kobe.

Are you an experienced shooter? First thing that comes to mind is limp wristing, which can cause the gun not to cycle properly. But this is usually not an issue with Glocks. You might have someone else - preferably a seasoned shooter - shoot the gun to see if it runs 100%.

Beyond that, make sure the gun has at least a little lube in all of the right places. And perhaps take the slide off, and push the rim of a case up under the extractor. It should fit up in there easily but snugly. If that tension is too tight, the new cartridge can't slide up the breech face and under the extractor. But again, that would be a pretty dang rare problem on a Glock. I own a small arsenal of Glocks, and every one of them has run 100% out of the box, so yours is not the norm. But whatever the prob is, it can be fixed pretty easily so keep a good attitude and stick with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, Kobe.

Are you an experienced shooter? First thing that comes to mind is limp wristing, which can cause the gun not to cycle properly. But this is usually not an issue with Glocks. You might have someone else - preferably a seasoned shooter - shoot the gun to see if it runs 100%.

Beyond that, make sure the gun has at least a little lube in all of the right places. And perhaps take the slide off, and push the rim of a case up under the extractor. It should fit up in there easily but snugly. If that tension is too tight, the new cartridge can't slide up the breech face and under the extractor. But again, that would be a pretty dang rare problem on a Glock. I own a small arsenal of Glocks, and every one of them has run 100% out of the box, so yours is not the norm. But whatever the prob is, it can be fixed pretty easily so keep a good attitude and stick with it. Good luck.
Actually I shoot often with proper grip, thats why this puzzles me even more

·
20,730 Posts
Hello everyone, any help would be appreciated with an issue Im having. Ive only shot around 100 rounds but Ive had at least a handful of Failure to feeds. It ejects fine, but will occasionally hang a live round trying to feed. Ive tried different brand of brass ammo, in target loads, Winchester, Federal etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Get to know a good local gunsmith who knows Glocks. but first try a different magazine. Glocks are generally 100 percent reliable and so are the magazines but the magazine would be the first thing I would check.

Many people have a fear of gunsmiths thinking that they are either incompetent or are out to rip you off. That isn't usually the case and when you find a good one you've done well. It's just like finding a good automobile mechanic who does good work and doesn't charge you an arm and a leg.

I'm fortunate that I have a very good local gunsmith who calls himself "The Glock Doc" He really knows Glocks.

Welcome to the Glock forum.

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts
As said above just have someone shoot it first. Don't take it personal it's just to isolate the issue. Then try different ammo and magazines

Reactions: FireMedic-50

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Mags are new, came with the gun. I have had a failure to feed using both of the mags. I have a very good Gunsmith looking at the gun. I called him tonight and he has many Glock Pistols so I do trust the gentleman. He says that it seems as though the bullets are trying to jump over the one in front. He plans to polish the feed ramp very good and take it from there. He will also shoot it with various ammo. He said he sees no issue with the Mags.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The first thing I think is that the gun has only been shot 100 rounds. Many people don't think the Glocks need to be broke in, but in my experience some do. Atleast I will say they shoot better as they are shot more. They have an oversized chamber to allow them to feed just about anything reliably, however, that doesn't mean that everything else has "loose tolerences". They still break in wherever the frame makes contact with the slide. I could see two things possibly going on. First, the slide will cycle easier as it is broke in. Second, the feed ramp could be polished to help with feeding.
Good Luck

·
Philippians 4: 6-7
10,426 Posts
I would try several different ammo brands.

Reactions: FireMedic-50

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
Regardless of how highly you evaluate your grip, an infirm grip especially if using low power factor ammo is THE most common root cause of the problem you describe, especially as the magazine empties.

Next range time, use stouter ammo (180 or 165-gr, 925 fps or better). Most importantly, **consciously** apply the firmest grip you can muster at time of fire.

Reactions: Kobe East

·
State of Jefferson Resident
764 Posts
Welcome, Kobe.

This^
My first thought as well, limp wristing. I have a gen 3 23 and in 2,000 plus rounds the only hiccup has been 1 or 2 light primer strikes.
( both with my own reloads )
Never with any factory ammo.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
For Post#9, anyone who plans to solve the subject problem by polishing a Glock feed ramp doesn't know what they're doing.

In this case, get the G23Gen3 to someone more knowledgeable. Ideally, that person would have another G23Gen3 in which to compare everything, including you shooting the other G23Gen3.

If that isn't possible, I can only recommend contacting Glock, which may involve shipping it back.

(Often, diagnosing a Glock problem in-person can be quick & easy, whereas trying to diagnose via internet can result in a disappointing failure.:()

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
The Mags are new, came with the gun. I have had a failure to feed using both of the mags. I have a very good Gunsmith looking at the gun. I called him tonight and he has many Glock Pistols so I do trust the gentleman. He says that it seems as though the bullets are trying to jump over the one in front. He plans to polish the feed ramp very good and take it from there. He will also shoot it with various ammo. He said he sees no issue with the Mags.
Please don’t let the “gunsmith” polish be feed ramp...

As other have said, shoot the gun more. 100 rounds isn’t enough to determine if there is a problem or not. Then let someone else, preferably an experienced shooter shoot the pistol. If it’s still malfunctioning send it back to Glock.

FYI, in my experience as an instructor and armorer, the problem you describe is brought on by shooter error, i.e. poor grip and recoil control the vast majority of the time. Weak mag springs can cause it, but that is very unlikely in a new gun.

But whatever you do, don’t let anyone go polishing the feed ramp or otherwise screwing around with the gun. That’s a great way to end up with a $500 hunk of plastic and metal. Not to mention it will probably void the warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Let some others shoot it and see what happens. If problem persists, call Glock and send it back for repair. I own one of these and it is a great firearm.

Reactions: Dcc65

·
Registered
216 Posts
Malfunctions in Glocks are unusual but they do happen. I have had a couple myself and I solved one of them myself by replacing parts and testing until I found the problem (defective trigger bar interfering with slide travel) but quite frankly doing this myself wasn’t worth the cost of the ammo it took to do this.

Send it back to Glock and don’t let anyone touch the feed ramp.

Reactions: army_eod and Dcc65
1 - 20 of 36 Posts