Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems all new Glock mags are being made with the ambi-mag release cut, even if the guns imported into the US don't have the ambi-mag release feature.

The only reason I can think of to prefer the new-style mags are for future compatibility issues - new mags are compatible with pre-ambi-mag release frames, but the old style mags are not compatible with new frames.

As I don't have any ambi-mag release frames, and I have no plans to buy any, is there any reason to prefer the older mags without the ambi cut?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Aren't the ambi-mags the ones that are also made to be drop-free? I know the 1st generation glock mags were not ambidextrous, and not drop-free. Maybe they made the drop-free switch a long time ago.

Here is one article discussing the topic- I'll paste the pertinent paragraph in here.
http://www.officer.com/web/online/Operations-and-Tactics/Gaining-on-Glock/3$40523

The other feature they have resisted, until recently, is an ambidextrous, or at least reversible, magazine release. When it looked like there might be a military contract for a .45 caliber pistol in the offing, Glock brought out the Glock 21 SF, in order to accommodate more hand sizes and the anticipated requirement for an ambidextrous magazine release. Well, the new military pistol proposal fell through the cracks, but Glock realized they had something in the short frame "SF" and added that option to the Glock 30. According to the Glock representatives at the SHOT Show, however, they are discontinuing the ambidextrous magazine releases in the model 21 and are not offering it in the model 30.
In any case, as long as those mags stay in, it's all the same to me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Non-fully metal lined mags (non-drop free) were phased out many years ago (early nineties, I think). There are several generations of fully lined mags (all drop free) since then.

I am referring to the cut in the front of the mag, towards the top and above the standard mag release cut out.

Here is a link to a Glock Talk posting with a photo of a new mag (and after viewing the video on page two of the link, I think I want a new ambi-mag release frame even less than I did before - looks WAY more complicated, and therefore WAY less reliable.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787968

Still wondering if there is a good reason to scoop up "old style" mags, rather than buy the new ones. I wonder if the cut out will become a stress point for future cracks, of a place for dirt to accumulate and make it harder to seat the mag.

Perhaps I'm just looking for reasons to not like them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts