close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock - Initial Cleaning

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jchadscud, Feb 22, 2010.

1. jchadscud

jchadscud

So I've watched the Hickock45 videos on youtube (and several others) and I've attended the NRA basic pistol course and feel pretty confident about gun cleaning.

The Glock manual says that the gun should be cleaned initially before firing. Is there anything special that should be done on the initial cleaning outside of a standard cleaning?

I thought I had seen something about either removing or leaving the copper lubricant, but can't find the thread anymore.

Thanks fellas.

2. Dingus

Dingus

The copper anti-seize compound may be removed, but rack the slide about 10 times first. Nothing special on cleaning a Glock. Just follow the owners manual, and when Glock says drops they mean drops, not splashes or pours.

3. vmann

vmann Controller

i usually leave the copper antisieze on for the first range trip...i do a quick field strip and inspect, maybe drop a few drops of oil in the specified points in the hand book, then hit the range...shoot atleast 100 rounds minimum...then i go home clean most of the copper lube off and do a normal cleaning....

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

How do you reconcile these two mutually exclusive recommendations? The owners manual says, "Note that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of brand new GLOCK pistols should not be removed, as it will help to provide long-term lubrication of the slide."

5. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I disassemble and check it out, clean the bore and shoot it. Field strip and clean it after first shoot.