close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock-in-a-box

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tommyc, Aug 26, 2003.

1. tommyc

tommyc

After a two hour wait for the 5-minute background check :( , I finally took possession of my new G30 this afternoon. This is my first semi-auto pistol so I have a few questions.

Range Ammo - For the last few weeks I've been renting a G30 and shooting Georgia Arms .230 FMJ's at my local range. They seem to shoot pretty well and I haven't had any problems out of the 700 rounds I've shot so far so I'm thinking of sticking with them for range ammo. Any one have any good/bad comments about this ammo before I order 1000rds.

Defense Ammo - Open to suggestions on this one. I bought a 20rd box of Federal .230 Hydrashoks to try out.

Holster - I'm leaning toward the SideArmor IWB. I do a lot of mountain biking and other outdoor stuff where I sweat a lot and sometimes get pretty dirty so leather probably isn't a great idea. I'm 6ft 250lbs and right handed. I'll probably carry between 3:00 and 4:00 depending on what I'm doing. I'm a little confused on the cant vs non-cant holsters. How can I tell if I need/want a cant'd holster. I mostly wear loose fitting clothes, shirt un-tucked, but occassionally I have to wear dockers and a button-up shirt.

My carry permit won't be here for another 2-4 months so I have plenty of time to practice but I'd like to get a holster pretty soon so I can practice wearing it around the house.

2. sensei

sensei Deceased

Ammo
    I use Winchester White box 230 gr. FMJ as practice ammo all the time. Never had a failure of any kind. As a matterv of fact I shoot the Winchester White box 230 gr. JHP quite a bit and no failures there either. If in a crunch I would not hesitate to use the WWB JHP as my carry ammo. I get it real cheap at Wal-mart or Academy.

However,
    For carry I like Speer 230gr. JHP Gold dots. The Hydra-shoks will work also.

Holsters
    Check out the C-TAC from www.comp-tac.com. It is my personal favorite.
    I understand the sidearmour is very good also.
    Probably can't go wrong with either one of these.

sensei

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The farther back you position your holster, the more cant you need. 15 degrees is fine for the 3 to 4 o'clock position. The nice feature of Sidearmor IWB is the interchangeable loops and J-hooks, which allow you to experiment with cant angle. Sidearmor customer service is #1 in the industry. For active bicycling, you might be better served with belt loops instead of J-Hooks. Start with the 15 degree cant. Don't forget to get a decent gun belt.

4. arl

arl

Look here http://www.gunnersalley.com for some good prices. I like the sidearmor IWB and have had it while out on the bike. The shirt tucking option is nice and works OK for someone our size.

I will second the Gold Dot 230gr. For a new gun the Winchester White Box (WWB) JHP rounds are nice for break-in and carry. That way you can funtion check with your carry rounds until you have the money to put a lot of the Gold Dots (for example) down range.

I also like the 230gr Remington Golden Saber. I have a little less(but not much) faith in the Hydra-Shok. The EFMJ round is also something to look at.

Most of the good rounds are now Law Enforcement Only (LEO).

Another round is the 230gr +P CorBon. I want to see more tests on the PowRball. At 165gr I think it is too light. I may be wrong since early tests are showing good penetration numbers.

See what you can get at a good price. I don't think any of these answers will disappoint you.

5. Pal O' Mine

Pal O' Mine CLM

You won't go wrong with the Georgia Arms ammo. Why don't you try their Shear Power Plus for defense? It's all new ammo and sells for way less than most other Gold Dot ammo.

6. tommyc

tommyc

When would the gun be considered broken in? Took it to the range after work today and fired 200 rds through it. Shot terrible (my aim not the gun ) Either low to the left or left or right of center. I'm hoping it was just from the excitement of firing my new gun for the first time :)

I did manage to relieve my local walmart of its stock of .45 value packs. They only had 4 boxes. That'll last me about two weeks :(

7. rtr

rtr Glockaholic

For a carry holster try a comptac CTAC or a UCR.

8. arl

arl

"Broken In" is a bit of a misleading statement on my part. Once you feel good that the gun will work when needed, the function check is complete. I would give it around 500 rounds, but that is not a magic number. As you continue to shoot you gain confidence. You have lots of time so don't rush. Some say 1,000 rounds but again don't try and do that in a week.

You have hit on it a little bit yourself here. It is not only the gun you are testing, but yourself as well. The gun/ammo combination you select and practice with will make more of a difference than any other factor. You will be better prepared with 1,000 rounds of practice and Wal-Mart ammo than 100 rounds of "Black Talons".

Pay attention to your trigger pull. Get some "Snap Caps". These are plastic blanks for dry firing with. Go to the range with a friend and have him/her load a magazine with one Snap Cap in a random place below the first and above the last round in the magazine. Have them insert the magazine into the pistol so you have no idea when it is going to come up.

Rack the slide and start shooting. If you pull the trigger and it goes "click" your hands should not move. If they do you are anticpating the recoil.

Take the snap caps home and unload the pistol. Put all live ammunition away. Load the magazine with the snap caps. Keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction and practice dry firing. Reset the trigger by racking the slide about 1/2 an inch between pulls.

Hope this helps.