Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm an old fart and have been around firearms 50+ years, and am familiar with the basics of Glock technology, I wanted to ask the members a question. Background information first:

A local firearms traders group had a posting of a Gen-4 Glock 21 with the following description:
Less than 50 Rounds fired through the factory barrel
Trijicon Big Dot Straight-8 Night Sights Installed
Johnny Glock Trigger Installed
Enhanced take-down lever installed
Enhanced Slide Release installed
Five 13-round magazines - four with Pearce +2 extensions installed, one with a Vickers Tactical Glock Magazine Floor Plate (four more floor plates in the Vickers package).
Lone Wolf threaded barrel sealed in original packaging (never installed)
All Factory parts come with the pistol
$650

I met the seller for a F2F transaction with BOS. He is a Police Officer. After external and internal examination the G21 appeared to be unfired, so I believed the "less than 50 rounds". Money and pistol exchanged hands. I researched the options, and I feel that I made a good purchase. I have two .45 suppressors and the Lone Wolf barrel was a deal clincher for me.

Having said all that, this is my first Glock. I have shot them, sold them when I had an FFL, taught students that owned them.

But ... I used a Lyman digital trigger pull gauge and the average pull weight for the Johnny Glock trigger is 3 pounds 12.9 ounces. So, I think this is their 3.5 pound "Competition" trigger.

Understand that I would not put this into carry rotation without significant practice, but the question is:

Is that too light a trigger pull for a carry piece, and should I have the trigger replaced?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

· "The Sarge"
758 Posts
As a LE instructor here is my advice: If you are only going to shoot that pistol on the range for fun you can leave it as is. If your life rides on that pistol and/or you may end up in court over its actual use, I would certainly return all parts to Glock factory stock. Any pistol I carry for serious business is factory stock. Bill

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys - very much appreciated !

· Registered
2,206 Posts
So what is the theory behind leaving your gun in a "stock" condition. Would a prosecutor have a field day with someone who modified the gun for a light trigger?
Depends on the state or city you live in. A valid legal shoot is just that. In Texas if you must use deadly force and it is declared SD and no billed this applies

"TITLE 4. LIABILITY IN TORT

CHAPTER 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

Sec. 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY.

A defendant who uses force or deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that results from the defendant’s use of force or deadly force, as applicable."

Trigger, weight gun mods has no impact in Texas.

· Banned
5,193 Posts
Modification of the firearm has three implications, only two of which have any significant validity. One is reliability; will the modifications that you make or that have been made impact the ability of the weapon to be used, in a negative way, when you need it most? Do the modifications increase the likelyhood of a potential negligent discharge? How will you be painted by a prosecutor or attorney in court?

If your shoot is justified, then you may be painted as the bad guy; show your justification and get competent counsel to represent you. If you were justified, you were justified, regardless of whether the weapon had a factory trigger.

If your trigger is insufficient and there's a negligent discharge that's occurred because you failed your duty as an owner/shooter, then it's on you. If your trigger control is adequate and competent, then it's a matter of your preparation in putting rounds on target. They key in defending your actions is competence and care, rather than a modified firearm.

· Registered
2,249 Posts
I'd say it's your call... If the 3.5 lb trigger suits you, leave it in there. As long as all the internal safeties are functioning, a lighter trigger pull is just that. It doesn't make it any less safe for carry. I'd have a reputable Glock armorer look at the weapon anyway, to make sure there's nothing amiss.

· Registered
2,706 Posts
"People keep fixing their Glock until it's broken."

I'd put all the stock parts back in, and start a routine of live fire and dry fire. After a while the trigger will usually get somewhat smoother and lighter, and you'll get used to using it.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Congrats on a great G21 with some serious enhancements. You are going to have serious fun with it.

You are the only one that can answer the question about the trigger.

I can only say that among my guns......the only one I'm going to modify is my G34. It's main purpose is as fun gun. When not at the range, it'll be cleaned & lubed and returned to the gun safe. I'm not even using this one for home protection.

My other guns that will get carry use and/or home protection use...are not going to have anything done to the stock triggers.

Good luck with your new G21.

· Registered
1,966 Posts
Here's my Gen 4 26….

- Stock housing, connector, springs, plunger.

- OEM Gen 3 smooth faced trigger and bar

- RYG Recoil spring assembly because I bent the rear 'disc' on the factory one.

- Did not change any springs or connector, but the Gen 3 trigger bar made the pull slightly lighter.

Any red flags? Thx.

· Registered
297 Posts
Personally, I have two ZEV G19s in my carry rotation. Both are 100% reliable. The older of the two has somewhere between 10,000-15,000 flawless rounds through it. While I am not enitely on board with the "a carry gun must remain stock" school of thought, I do agree that 3.5 pound trigger on a carry gun with no external safety, is too light IMO. Both mine weigh out just a little over 5lbs. 3.5lbs on a 1911 perhaps is okay for someone who is well versed with using a 1911. Just remember that even if you train and train for a 3.5lb trigger, you will never be able to fully duplicate the adrenalen dump that a real self defense shooting will create and that adrenalen will make any pull weight feel much lighter once your fine motor skills are gone.

· Well I'll Be Dipped!!!
32,590 Posts
If your life rides on that pistol and/or you may end up in court over its actual use...
This is a non-factor. What type of trigger a firearm has is of no concern for civilian CCW, as long as it doesn't turn it into a full-auto weapon. There are absolutely no court cases where the trigger has ever meant anything to the outcome of the case for a CCW/HD person.

Bad people get shot with very light triggers all the time, it's never an issue. Triggers on SD/HD firearms is the single biggest source of bad information in the SD/HD world.

And the OP lives in Florida, which has Castle Doctrine.

So, OP, in the end it's whether it performs for you, and you're comfortable with it.

And if you are of the miss-guided belief that light triggers are a concern, you better remove your night sights, lasers, optics, hollow-point ammo, and stick with a 5 shot .38 revolver.

· Registered
1,966 Posts
Personally, I have two ZEV G19s in my carry rotation. Both are 100% reliable. The older of the two has somewhere between 10,000-15,000 flawless rounds through it. While I am not enitely on board with the "a carry gun must remain stock" school of thought, I do agree that 3.5 pound trigger on a carry gun with no external safety, is too light IMO. Both mine weigh out just a little over 5lbs. 3.5lbs on a 1911 perhaps is okay for someone who is well versed with using a 1911. Just remember that even if you train and train for a 3.5lb trigger, you will never be able to fully duplicate the adrenalen dump that a real self defense shooting will create and that adrenalen will make any pull weight feel much lighter once your fine motor skills are gone.
That's why I prefer a stock or at east 5.5 lb-ish trigger on my carry gun. Also why I don't CC my Walther PPQ. Jut too light of a trigger break for 'comfort'. Even considered carrying a DA/SA.

· Registered
1,781 Posts
I routinely (had or have 6 different Glocks, so far) replace the stock slide lock, slide release, and magazine release with extended replacements, not all Glock parts. Most of these are needed in my opinion, as the stock ones are hard to use or even painful to use... the slide lock in particular. I do add a 3.5 connector (Ghost or ZEV) to lighten the trigger a bit and that's the only questionable thing to me. With the stock slide release on my new G21 SF, I could not release the slide with/without magazine, empty mag or not, without using both hands with full concentration... and even then, it was too hard. The Glock extended release lever made slide release easy under any of the listed conditions, including empty magazine inserted. All of my parts replacements increased functionality for any use of my pistols.

I also add Trijicon HD Night SIghts to all of my Glocks, too, preferring the Yellow front sight.

· Registered
15 Posts
I agree replacing these parts along with a pyramid trigger make my G27 a much more enjoyable and accurate gun to shoot and to carry, If and when the day comes that I have to use my 40 cal. I'm confident of its performance and outcome.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.