New Glock 42 today

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Anthony Acello, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

Hello. Decided to get the 42 over the 43. Having never owned a .380, I figured why not. Plus, I want to increase my 'consistency' of carrying. The 42 is smaller and lighter.
    Ok. So I just shot about 120 rounds. Mainly Federal 95 grain FMJ. The JHP rounds I shot were SIG 90 grain Elite. With a nice, strong 2 hand grip things went great. Pulling to the left a bit, but that was me being new to this smaller gun. With more focus I was accurate. And no failures. Then I tried one arm (strong) and had an FTE. Again my fault. Once I squeezed it harder there were no failures. This was all FMJ. It fed the JHPs no problem too.
    Then I decided to intentionally limp wrist a bit. I had hang ups almost every time. Very frustrating. Went back to 2 hand tight grip and was flawless again. It does have the 03 mags.
    So I'm hoping with practice I can work out my issues. I also hope the the recoil spring lightens up a bit over the next few hundred rounds. Because in a panic situation that happens quickly, I may not have the best grip. Thoughts? And thanks for reading. Oh, I have an IWB Tulster holster for it. Very nice. PS. I believe a good lube and cleaning will help also.

Aslan likes this.
  2. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G42.

3. KennyFSU

KennyFSU

Congrats. I'd say all you need is a little more practice/training with your grip so that it becomes natural and less chance of limp-wristing.

Macc283 likes this.
  4. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

Thanks. I never had a limp wrist problem. I was in LE and been shooting
    many years. Never owned anything less powerful than a 9mm though. But different ballgame now.
    Just didn't think it would be THAT sensitive. Again no problems when gripping properly. So as of now
    I am the problem.

5. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Why is this frustrating? This is totally normal behavior for a semi-automatic pistol that requires the energy of the round to push the slide back to eject the brass. If the gun is allowed to swivel backwards (too far or too easily), not enough of the energy goes into the slide, it goes into the frame, preventing the ejection.

You need to practice proper firm grip techniques until they become completely second nature, a program your brain can run without having to think about it. If you have to actively think about how to hold the gun, grip the frame, where the hands go, what the fingers do, remember to not have a limp wrist, you are asking for trouble should you need to use your weapon to save your life. The adrenaline dump that comes with a life threatening scenario is a sure fire way (no pun intended) to make sure you freeze up trying to think what to do next with the gun.

It needs to be automatic.

6. Mr. Pick

Mr. Pick

On my first outing with my new 42 a few weeks ago, I had no trouble with it while shooting with a two handed grip, except that it would not get through a mag of S&B ammo to save its life. I had a friend of mine who was with me shoot it, and he could not get through a mag of any kind of ammo with it, but then he shoots with a very loose grip. I was concerned, just as you are now.

I'd read somewhere on here that locking the slide back and leaving it a while would help, so I did that overnight a time or two. Then I headed back to the range with a load of ammo and just fired it two handed for another hundred rounds or so. Zero malfunctions. Then I shot it one handed, both strong and weak side with zero issues. Then I held it loosely in one hand and it shot fine with zero issues. Finally, I got the S&B ammo out that it refused to shoot the previous time, and it ran right through two mags of it with zero issues. I think these things need to break in a little, unlike most other Glocks. I have full confidence in mine now, but like you, I sure didn't have confidence in it after my first range trip.

Give it another hundred rounds, and lock the slide open overnight a few times, and see if it doesn't clear up for you.

7. Walter Bishop

Walter Bishop

I have found that with really small handguns like 380s and my j frame revolver I can shoot better using only one hand. Trying to cram both hands together with such a small grip was making things worse for me.

8. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

I agree. I need to get used to the 42 and .380 cartridge. That being said, I surely understand the physics of a semi auto. My SIG P320sc (just sold) never hung up when barely holding on to it. And pretty rapid fire. Reason - Very heavy slide and 9mm. Just too heavy and bulky for carry.
    In any case, it gives me an excuse to train more : )

9. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

Thanks.
    Thanks. I already have it sitting with the slide open right now : )
    Going to clean it soon.
    To come to think of it, last gun I shot was my 92A1 4 weeks ago.
    I believe the grips are different : )

10. mcoe74

mcoe74 Life is good

Congratulations on your new G42.

11. 125K9

125K9

I believe a good lube and cleaning will help also.[/QUOTE]

Yes Anthony, that should help you out a lot. Your pistol I mean. Always advisable to keep one's gun clean and well lubed. You never know when "that" situation might arise.
    Since the G42 is such a small and light pistol it's always going to require a good firm grip to work correctly. My inherited RA is taking it's toll on my wrists/fingers and that's making my small Ruger LCP a real pain to shoot, literally. I don't know which one would have the most recoil though, the Glock or Ruger?
    Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your new pistol. Oh yes, Remington makes a really nice 380 round with it's 102gr. Golden Saber.

12. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

Yes Anthony, that should help you out a lot. Your pistol I mean. Always advisable to keep one's gun clean and well lubed. You never know when "that" situation might arise.
    Since the G42 is such a small and light pistol it's always going to require a good firm grip to work correctly. My inherited RA is taking it's toll on my wrists/fingers and that's making my small Ruger LCP a real pain to shoot, literally. I don't know which one would have the most recoil though, the Glock or Ruger?
    Welcome to the forum and the best of luck with your new pistol. Oh yes, Remington makes a really nice 380 round with it's 102gr. Golden Saber.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I just cleaned it and racked the hell out of it. Feels smoother. Probably in my head : )
    I'm glad I didn't go smaller with a mouse .380. The 42 shoots very mild. I believe Glock did it right with the 42. Maybe not as pocketable, but much less recoil. From what I have researched, the 42 has a lot less recoil. Esp. for arthritis : )

13. threefeathers

threefeathers Scouts Out

congratulations, my DIL carries one daily.

14. wlkjr

wlkjr

Everyone I know that has one says they need full power loads to operate. That has been my experience with the 3 that we have. Lower power loads that will work with the LCP and P3AT are not quite strong enough for the 42. After a few thousand rounds it will eat anything. I reload so mine are tailored to the gun, but it still likes the upper end best. Some women have a little trouble with my reloads, but none of my male friends have any. The grip is really important.
    Some people expect it to be perfect every shot and don't give it a chance to get broken in or attain the correct grip.
    I pocket carry mine every day and when going to the range I drop my mag of self defense rounds and put in my practice rounds. Only thing I do is take a deep breath and blow out the lint. I sometimes have a light strike on the S&B primers but not very often.. I love this gun and trust my life with it.

15. Jim

Jim

My G42 has something over a thousand rds fired. Using Winchester FMJ ammo, I was unable to induce any malfunctions with any kind of bad grip or limp wristing. Perhaps OP's guns just needs more exercise.

16. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

I hope you are correct. I will continue to exercise it more. As well as
    improve my grip technique. I want it to fire even without an 'ideal' grip.

17. Aimsmall

Aimsmall

My Wife and I went pistol shopping yesterday and she ended up with the G 42 too. She loves the feel and trigger pull, I ended up with a G19 Gen 4. We haven't shot anything yet but looking forward to it!

18. CDR_Glock

CDR_Glock

My first 380 ACP was my Sig Sauer 238. Very easy to shoot. No hang ups.

When I acquired a G42, it felt very small for my hands. Recoil was a bit more than the 238.

I adapted to it over the course of 300 rounds. I had to gradually increase my distances from 10 yards to 25 yards. It was not a 25 yard shooter with my first trip, and I had to relearn with a mouse sized gun such as this one.

Once I became accustomed to the size, I had no problems shooting it one handed, two handed and weak handed at my intended 25 yards.

Strangely, it didn't take as long for me to adapt to the Glock 43, because of my work with the 42, already. My friend had one, and I enjoyed shooting it.

As for failures, I rarely experience those in any of my guns, except for one, the Diamondback DB9.

19. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

My reloads are running around 900 fps, and the Gold Dots at 950; never a function issue, and garden variety practice ammo has run just fine as well. The suggestion of locking the slide back overnight is likely a good one, and perhaps the recoil spring needs a little .
    The 42 is an uncommonly soft shooting pistol.
    Moon

Aslan likes this.
  20. Anthony Acello

Anthony Acello

Hello. I have cleaned and lubed it. Dry fire. Locked the slide back. Racked it to death.
    Taking it out Monday. I hope it won't hang up as easily.