close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 30!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DonD, Feb 9, 2004.

1. DonD

DonD

This is a repeat from another post asking about G30 reliability but perhaps some might want to see it.

Well, I went out and bought a G30 3 hrs ago. I was expecting the grip to feel just like the G21 just shorter. I was very surprised to find that it had an entirely different feel. I really like it and if it displays typical Glock reliability (that is 100% reliability in my experience), I'll have a real winner here. I just finished my concealed carry class here in NM and came to the conclusion that the two guns I had, one was too large to be convenient, the other had too little capacity. I'll get out to shoot it next Monday. I have some super Federal Tactical LE ammo coming for it, very tough bonded +P 230gr slugs.
    Another question since I've been away from Glocks for a few months. Is there any good loading tool? I don't need to hear "go to the gym and work out" I do and don't lack strength. This one doesn't want to take 10 rds although it is marked for 10 and I doubt that will change sitting loaded for a week as is usually recommended. Thanks, Don

2. cwood

cwood

The magazine will loosen up. When I bought mine, they were stiff and I had to use the tupperware loader. Now I load them with my thumb. I have had it about a year and a half but it doesn't take that long. I just bought a new magazine (my fourth) and it too is stiff. Couldn't get ten in without the loader, initially. After about 3 weeks I can barely squeeze the 10th one in with my thumb. Just keep loading it and shooting it.

As for reliability, you will have it if you do your part. Although, it is more forgiving than many, clean it after you shoot. I am sure you know and do this already, but it needed to be said. Also, disassemble the magazines periodically...more if you you do competitative shooting where you have to drop the mag on the ground.

When re-assembling the pistol be sure to put the recoil spring/guide rod assembly in the correct position. It tells you in the manual but I read it and failed to remember and follow the directions.

The rear of the guide rod contacts the front of the lug on the barrel as you reassemble it. There are two positions in which you can make contact. There is a half-moon shaped recess up next to the body of the barrel and there is a horizontal ledge on the front of the lug.

For reassembly, the correct position is the half-moon recess and NOT!!!the horizontal ledge. The ledge is the normal operating position for the guide rod and where you will find it when you disasemble. It is NOT the reassembly position. Use the half-moon recess.

From personal experience, believe me, the guide rod will wear and fail if reassembly is not done per instructions.

Sorry to go on, but since the G30 is my carry weapon (and that of many others) and this happened to me, this has become my mission...informing new G30 owners if asked. Fortunately, mine failed at an IDPA match and not while facing a BG.

You will love this pistol. It is the sweetest shooting .45 I have ever shot. It is accurate, comfortable to carry and likes Kydex holsters.

3. DonD

DonD

Thanks cwood. This is my fourth Glock, long story but think I'm back in the fold for good this time. I value reliability over everything else and nothing I've seen beats the Glock for reliability. I've never seen one choke on the range or at a match unless it was some stupid operator error like not seating the mag. For some reason, this G30 fits my hand better than any other.

I always clean the gun, never want me possibly contributing to a problem. Don :)