New Glock 29 owner, couple of questions on ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GPSIIR, Aug 19, 2005.

1. GPSIIR

GPSIIR

Just got a Glock 29 (first gun ever owned, first handgun ever fired). I bought the gun for both home defense, and as defense against critters when I hike (I often hike alone). I've read everything I could find on 10 mm ammo (my head hurts), and I wanted to run what I think are good loads for me to use/carry. For home defense, I would keep the '29 loaded with 10mm 135gr JHP Doubletaps, for hiking I would use 200gr WFN Beartooth rounds, and for practice I was looking at either 155gr Hollow Point +P Gold Dot "Shear Power Plus" from Georgia Arms or the 180gr Full Metal Jacket "Pistol Ammunition". I wanted the cheapest practice ammo I could find, but I I'm wondering if the practice ammo would "feel" considerably different than the defense rounds I'm thinking about... advice please?

Thanks!

2. redskyzatknight

redskyzatknight Glock S&W Kahr

For cheap stuff the 180 FMJ for practice and the 180 Gold Dots from G-A is the best you can do. The 180 GD is 1150 and the FMJ is 1100. Or you could splurge and use the G-A 155 GD @ 1375 for practice and DT 155 GD @ 1475 for defense against two and four legged creatures. I wanted a 29 for my first Glock and I let the lady talk me out of it and went with a 23. I think you made a good decicision. EDIT: I forgot DT's practice load is a 180 FMJ @ 1250 and the 180 GD goes 1300 for a faster heavyweight option.

3. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Welcome and great choice.
    Good info above.
    Inside the condo, I use DT Equalizer.
    Outside, I use DT Gold Dots, 180 gr.
    If I had to hunt, I would use the DT 200 gr. XTP.
    IMHO :)

4. Seattle10

Seattle10 ordnancengineer

Yeah, they feel different. I'm a fairly new handgun shooter too and I went through a box of the 135 DT's. I wouldn't feel comfortable with them unless I went through at very least another 100 rounds.

Get the 200 round DT sample pack. See what you like.

My plan is to use 165 DT Gold Dot's everywhere, just because i was the most accurate with them.

5. ECVMatt

ECVMatt

reguardless of the brand or volocity. Since it is your first handgun, you might want to shoot some lower powered stuff at first anyways. Make sure to shoot the heavier bullets in your 29 before you leave on you hike. I had some problems with them locking the side open ( I am a lefty and my trigger finger rides right under the slide lock.). I have used the GA in my .357 sig and they are great! I have not used the DT practice ammo, but would bet it pretty darn good stuff. I followed your earlier post and you made a good choice on the 29.

Hope this helps you out,

Matt

6. Never2many

Never2many

At first I carried the 135gr DT's in my 29, but I don't think penitates enough, even in a home defense situation... I've switched to the 155gr GD's and most likely will be going with 165gr GD's for everything.

Double Tap is suppose to be coming out with full power practice loads to match his 155 and 165gd self defense loads... I'll be buying those by the 1000's when they are done.

7. HK45Mark23

HK45Mark23

8. GPSIIR

GPSIIR

Thanks all, for the advice, I suppose I could bite the bullet (sorry , couldn't resist) and buy about 50 rounds of the types of ammo I'm looking at keeping in the gun, try it, and then buy the cheapest practice rounds that most closely approximate what I keep in the gun. Acutally, I need to revise my home defense ideas. I'd almost forgotten that the reason I got the gun now (I wasn't going to get it for a couple of months) was for defense against a black bear IN MY HOME. I live in an area called the "Black Forest", and as the name suggests, I live in the trees. 'Bout 2 months back a black bear moved into the area, and normally this isn't a big concern, but this particular bear started killing domestic animals (penned up near houses). That still didn't get me too excited (all I've got is a small indoor cat, so it's not like I'd have to shoot a bear in my house, right?). Right, until one black bear 'bout 10-15 miles away pushed through a window and broke into a house 4 weeks back. No one was hurt, but now I'm looking at a whole new ball game. So, would anything work well against both 2 and 4 legged intruders?

9. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

200 gr. XTP from Double Tap.
    180 gr. GD from Double Tap.

Just unbearable.;f