close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 23 Owner with Some questions.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MSBullock, Jan 25, 2010.

1. MSBullock

MSBullock

Hello everyone,
    Last Wednesday I picked up a Glock 23 from my local gun supply store, its a newer Gen 3 with a tested date of 12/3/09. Last Thursday when I went to the range I put 110 rounds through her, 100 rounds of Independence Ammo, and 10 rounds of my friends Blazer ammo. With the Independence ammo I had 2 failures to eject, because we were on the clock, I simply racked the slide all the way back, locked it with the slide release, tipped the gun to the side, the empty shell casing fell out, released the slide, and continued shooting. My gun for the 9 hours before we went shooting was left in my trunk at work (temp outside was around 38 degrees F). Reading on here if it's a malfunction with the glock, normally the extractor is chipped, however mine is not. I live in Ohio and plan on getting my CCL soon, and am considering to use my 23 as my daily carry pistol.

My questions are this:

1. Do you think that the FTE's could be because of the Ammo, the Temp of the gun, or something else entirely that I need to check out?
    2. What specific ammo do you normally shoot at the range and why?

Not related to the FTE's:

3. If you have your Glock for Home Defense, where do you keep it, how long does it take you to get to your gun, and be ready to shoot, if woken from a deep sleep?
    4. What kind of CC holster have you found you like the best (quick access to the gun, as well as comfort)
    5. What ammo do you normally carry if it is different than your range ammo and why?

2. NWoutdoor

NWoutdoor

Not much help on the FTE...

3) I have three Glocks and keep a G22 inside a Homak inwall safe, hidden close the bed. Simple key turn and I have access to 45 rounds of 165g Gold Dots

4)I use inside waistband, also know as IWB. I've used a Milt Sparks VMII, Galco Summer Comfort (great quick holster), CTAC, and now have CrossBreed supertuck coming in the mail...all of them are IWB.

5) I carry Speer Gold Dot 165g for defense. I get 50 round boxed of this ammo from our local sheriffs department armory. I practice with cheap stuff (UMC, Blazer, Independance).

Good luck.

3. jdwatson

jdwatson

1) I had a couple of FTF and 1 FTE when I first got my G23. I chalked it up to user error. I was new to Glock, G23 and the .40 caliber ammo. Untimely limp-wristing is a common ailment

2) I shoot what's available, WB, Blazer Brass & etc for practice. I've bought 1000 rounds from Georgia-Arms and have had zero problems with them as well. As to why, it's available and inexpensive. I shot a mix of 165gr and 180gr, I don't see/feel much of a difference.

3) My glock sits on/in the night stand, unholstered. I've never timed myself but I do practice fast grip from my normal sleeping position. I'd say around 2 seconds or less.

4) I have two holsters:
    OWB: Comp-TAC Galdiator
    IWB: Comp-TAC MTAC

5) I carry Speer Gold Dot 180gr, I have a close relative that's in Law Enforcement and he's issued Speer Gold Dot 165gr. All I could find was 180gr. I wouldn't want to be shot with either weight.

4. Jerry_M23

Jerry_M23

+1 on limpwristing as a possible cause to FTE. Not sure of your experience and don't intend to insult but the .40 can be a little snappy and the stiffer you hold your wrist, the more energy that will go into the slide going back and ejecting. I probably wouldn't attribute it to low temperature.

I practice with a combination of target ammo and what I'm going to carry or use for home defense. My G23 would digest everything. Keep track of reliability separately between carry ammo and target ammo and make sure you establish reliability with what you'll carry or use for home defense. Target ammo could be the culpret either due to weak/small amounts of powder (i.e. Walmart Winchester white box target ammo used to be cheaper because they were somewhat weaker loads) or lesser quality cases where your ejector might not get a proper hold.

Nightstand drawer. Minimal time. That will change in the next few months since we have a 4 month old baby and firearms will have to be secured in a safer manner.

For IWB the C-Tac isn't bad for concealabilty but the M-Tac is more comfortable. For OWB, a Galco Concealable is comfortable and pretty concealable. For OWB while hunting where concealing isn't first concern then a Blackhawk Serpa holster works just fine and offers nice retention. There are a ton more holsters but that covers my experience.

I carry a combination of Winchester Ranger LE, Hornady TAP and Winchester Bonded PDX1. Practice, pick what you shoot well with and what works in your firearms. As mentioned above, practice ammo should include cheaper target ammo for monetary reasons and carry ammo for practical reasons.

Other:
    You didn't ask this but for a CCW or range gun, the TruGlo TFO sights are really nice in day light, low light at the range and for low low light. Meps aren't bad either but the TFO's are my favorite. It's preference but my preference is Green front / Yellow rear.

5. turbostar66

turbostar66

1) Probably just the gun needing to be "broken in" or limp-wristing. When I first shot my G23, during some rapid fire in the VERY FIRST mag through the gun I had one jam. Since then, it has performed flawlessly for about 1,000 rounds.

2) I usually shoot either Federal in the black/red box, Winchester white box, or Blazer aluminum/brass. I use that stuff because its cheap, but I also shoot WWB hollowpoints and some SD hollowpoints to a) get used to the feel of your carry ammo, and b) make sure it feeds properly.

3) I have a G30sf for home defense...there is a little nook where my mattress meets my headboard on the outside edge of the bed (near where I sleep). I always keep it there...one in the chamber of course!

4) Crossbreed Supertuck

5) I use Winchester white box (WWB) hollowpoints for most of my SD carry...sometimes I'll splurge for some hotter +p rounds.

6. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

Did you clean Barrel before firing gun?

My 23 feeds everything from the start
    I fault no gun if a problem or two happen in the first 100
    I've shot my Glocks in the single digit temps with no issues

Practice ammo-Anything but I stick to Blaser 165-180,Win white box,PMC,REM

I carry WIN White 180 bonded JHP

MTAC IS A GREAT HOLSTER

At home G23 on nightstand gives backup to a 870

7. jeffreybehr

jeffreybehr

1. Can't help. My old (1st-gen.?) 23...
    [​IMG]
    ...operates perfectly on any ammo I feed it. BTW my hand fits MUCH better around the grip with the Pierce Mag. extenders.
    2. My PD reloads. Hornady 155g. XTPs over Universal loaded to about 1150FPS (measured with start screen at 10'). The practice loads are assembled in Blazer Brass brass while the real PD loads are assembled in factory-primed Federal cases. I always shoot a few of the latter at the range. I chose Universal powder because it works well in the 40 and has no muzzle flash...
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_190_31/ai_n27380935/
    ...something I feel is important with a pistol that may be fired in low-light situations.
    3. On the nitestand on top of my Tommy's bellybag; we have NO little ones around. It takes 'just a second' to grab the gun, another couple for the light, and several more for my befuddled brain to engage.
    4. None. I use a Tommy's Gunpacks bellybag. http://www.tommysgunpack.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=1
    I HATE things digging into my belly. The size-large Tommy's GP also has room for a light-weight LED flashlight in the gun section.
    5. As indicated above, my reloads with Hornady 155g. XTPs.

8. gsdrulz

gsdrulz

I use 180 gr Gold dot for my carry ammo in my glock 23, American Eagle or WWB 180 gr fmj for range.

I was given a black leather IWB holster that works just fine for carry.(From a LEO cousin)

No kids so I just leave on the night stand.

I have yet to have a problem with any of my Glocks so I can't help you there.

9. GeorgeBurdell

GeorgeBurdell

I also have a new (relatively) new G23. Maybe I can offer a newb's perspective

#1 My guess is possible limpwristing. Out of the 500 or so rounds I've fired so far, I had 2 FTE. But a good, strong grip seems to fix it. I haven't had one FTE in the last 300 or so.

#2 I use what I can find and what is cheap. My goal is to shoot at least 100 rounds /week so Wally World is my friend. Winchester 165g seems to work just fine @ about $30-32 per 100.

#3 - I have 3 kids: 11,9,7. So I keep mine in locked a drawer safe. They all know I have the gun, and the all know where the safe is. They also all know NOT TO TOUCH IT. In a quick Home Assault type situation, I doubt I'd get to the G23 in time. But I feel the risk of home invasion is small compared to the risk of the kids getting into it. I'm looking for a better compromise here so if anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

#4 No idea. I'm looking for some good (and cheap) options as well

#5 180g Gold Dots

10. voyager4520

voyager4520

Welcome and congrats! G23 was my first Glock.

1. Did you lube the gun according to the instruction manual? Was it left in the truck after being lubed, then taken shooting? If so, it's possible the oil you used to lube the gun lost some lubricity from the cold, but it's not too likely. It's also possible that you didn't hold the pistol firmly enough for the slide to move fully rearward with the recoil in order to eject the spent casing. Try to lock your wrist and/or fully extend your main shooting arm.
    2. I shoot American Eagle and PMC Bronze because they're good quality and I don't go shooting often enough for cheaper ammo to be worth it. American Eagle is a hotter FMJ load than most.
    3. Close to where I sleep. There are no children or other people in my house who don't know about firearm safety so it's readily accessible in case someone breaks into my house while I'm asleep.
    4. I have yet to try an in-the-waistband holster, but I use an over-the-waistband holster at the moment that sits from 3 o'clock to 4:30 on my belt. It's a Don Hume H721 OT(open top, they also make one with a strap but mine leaves the gun more easily accessible with plenty of retention). I like it but I'm a thin guy so the handle still prints through my shirt unless I wear a baggy shirt or jacket.
    5. Hollow points. They expand, creating a larger cavity in said target and through the expansion they deliver more energy in a smaller area than FMJs would. Plus, you don't have to worry about over-penetration with hollow points. I usually carry Winchester Ranger T or Hornady TAP XTP. I'd like to get some Federal HST, but with the run on everything that goes bang since the election I haven't even seen a box in person. I prefer 165gr or 180 gr bullet weight, but would also shoot 155gr.

A few tips, don't shoot unjacketed lead in the factory barrel. Don't let oil, solvent, any other liquid or foreign debris get into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Don't over-lubricate the gun. And be safe!

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

I forgot, one thing that can cause FTEs is if the magazines are brand new and they're loaded to full capacity. If you fully load them with a round in the chamber, the rounds in the magazine may not be able to move down in the magazine body freely enough when the slide moves rearward and pushes them down while ejecting the cartridge that was just fired. Once your mags have seen some range time, you should be able to fully load them with no worries.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  12. jdwatson

jdwatson

+1 on new mags. I followed advice here to load them fully then let them sit for a couple weeks. Really helped out.

+1 Stronger grip, but I feel compelled to add that one should be strengthening their support hand and not the trigger hand. Otherwise one would slap the trigger like me ! :whistling:

13. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Congrats! My new G23 is two Saturdays plus two days old! Awesome awesome awesome and couldn't be happier with the choice I (we ) made.! Welcome.