close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 23 Gen 3 issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Stock.glock, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

Hello,

I bought a brand new Glock 23 last week. At about round 280 it failed to feed once with some winchester white box. This is not acceptable to me. Im over 3000 rounds through my older G17 without a single issue and thats with about 1000 rounds of the junkiest ammo I could make (reloads). My buddy just bought a new G17 and has had 10 failure to feed problems within 250 rounds, all factory ammo. My other buddy had a failure to feed with his new G36 a few weeks ago within the first 150 rounds. What is the deal with the new glocks? They are all even 3rd gen. I love Glocks and trust my G17 100% but now I have a new carry gun that I cannot trust. Is there anything I should look at on my gun? I wouldnt be shocked if this was from another brand but come on, this many glocks should not have this many problems.

Thanks for any advice!

2. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

You don't trust your G23 because it had ONE failure to feed with low quality ammo??

I'd put the pistol through it's paces with some GOOD ammo before deeming it not fit for CCW.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

3. BuzznRose

BuzznRose

I have several gen 4's, including a 23, and have never had an issue in thousands of rounds as far as feeding-loading-ejecting.

My wife had a few at first (limp wristing) when she first started shooting but hasn't had a FTE in over a year.

My G21 is at Glock now for weak/crappy eject issues, but no complaints with my 9/40's.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

How about a definition of "GOOD" ammo? WWB has worked flawlessly me for a LONG time. It's my go-to ammo in all calibers when I have problems with other brands of ammo.

5. MikeG36

MikeG36

My new G23 April 2012 test fire. Zero malfunctions with 2.5K rounds down range including mostly WWB from Wally World. If I had a one off failure with WWB ammo I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

6. skyboss_4evr

skyboss_4evr

Do a search for threads where folks had issues with WWB.

7. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

Thanks for the encouragement. I know 1/350 rounds (Now) isnt bad and I do carry with quality ammo (Underwood 155 Grain Gold Dots) and have had no problem with the 150 rounds of that ive shot, but Im just disappointed that my glock and my friends have ANY problems... still love glock though and I probably will still carry it. At least the first round should fire regardless haha. I just like to have 100% faith in my gun, not 99.714% faith. Just a quirk of mine I guess

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Why should your new Glock be any better than the others? It seems like even the most casual search for problems would have turned up hundreds of threads. These threads are also linked via Google. Just use the search bar on your browser.

When I bought my Gen 3 G21SF, I did NO research other than drinking the Glock Perfection kool-aid. I got pretty lucky, the gun shoots well enough even with my reloads. Ejection isn't anywhere near as agressive as my Sig P220 but, so far, I haven't had any failure that I can recall. Still, I would never use it as my first choice for SD. It's just a range gun.

Richard

9. tacops5372

tacops5372

Shoot it some more! I have a G22 3rd that was my duty gun for over 10 years without any issues. Received a G23c 3rd gen from a friend who passed away. I fired about the same amount of rounds you did the first time around and got one ftf. Took it back to the range and put her back through her courses and not one issue what's so ever.....

10. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

Well yea you may find a bunch of threads with glock problems. But youll also find millions of glocks with no problems that nobody creates threads about. So the number of issues seen online is irrelevant in the big picture. But when 3 out of 3 new glocks ive personally shot had issues in the past month, there is something wrong. You have to admit Glock has about the best reputation for reliability and durability out there. I just hope some recent change quality control doesnt change that.

11. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

Yea thats what I plan to do! Just pacing myself right now as ammo can get expensive especially since I dont reload .40, I miss my 9mm platform already.

12. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

That's absolutely correct! Nobody writes to complain about a gun that functions perfectly. And personally, I don't care a wit about the 'big picture'. I care only about my guns.

I'm not about to admit that Glock has the best reputation out there. The damage they have done to their brand since the Shot Show 2010 is enormous. This date happens to be the introduction of the Gen 4s and also the changes in finish and construction of Gen 3s.

You can also make the argument that everyone who has a Glock that is less than perfect ISN'T posting about it. They may not even know that brass is supposed to come out of the gun every single time. They may be perfectly happy with a 1% or 2% failure rate. Maybe they go shoot a box of ammo a couple of times a year and don't really care how it works out.

Richard

13. bunk22

bunk22

IMO, I don't think one failure out of nearly 300 rounds indicates an issue. I had 8-9 FTF with my new Gen 4 G23 the other day. It was literally within 20-30 rounds of cheap Remington ammo...worrisome but I've put another 280 rounds through it since with no issue. My guess is bad ammo, it happens.

14. WinterWizard

WinterWizard

WWB is some of the crappiest ammo out there ... right up there with Federal Champion. But for some reason WWB is expensive in my area. I always laugh at the store when I see it overpriced by about 25%. People see "Winchester" and think its quality. It's not.

Try American Eagle, Speer Lawman, Sellier & Bellot or Fiocchi. Buy online and avoid the retail ripoffs.

15. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

I guess I have been spending too much time shooting and not enough time online reading.... im kind of out of the loop on modern glock issues. As far as I knew up until recently glocks were as good as always. I did hear about some issues with the gen 4s but I even thought they had that fixed. Can someone please enlighten me on the issue/issues or give me a good link to a thread explaining the issue? What exactly has happened since the 2010 shot show?

And for further info on my jam I will say it was the last round in the mag. Would this indicate a possible weak mag spring? I mean it is only a week old though.

And ive never had an issue with WWB in 9mm, but I did notice these 40s had a really really really tight crimp on the bullet, to the point it was bulging the upper part of the case out a little. It looked horrible. Is that normal for WWB in 40 cal? Or did I get a bad batch?

Thanks for any help!

16. Stock.glock

Stock.glock

And I dont have an issue shooting other brands of ammo, I just expect my glocks to shoot anything end everything, dry, dirty, soaking wet, or clean. Just like my 17 and 20 have for years. Ive even done some personal torture testing myself just to prove that they could (although they are always fairly clean when I carry them)

17. glockman40357459mm

glockman40357459mm

Bought a 23 about 16 years ago thought it was a new gun found out about 3 years later that after getting a couple more glocks it had numbers stamped inside the frame found out it was once a NY city police weapon I bought a reconditioned gun but the only problem after 1000"s or rounds of factory and reloads was the night sights started to dim. So replaced them and carry that gun every day never have I had a feed or ejection failure.

18. Glock40man

Glock40man

:agree: I've had a few issues with WWB, Federal Champion, and Remington UMC over the years. That said, I still buy it, and shoot it. Its range ammunition.

19. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Like I said, it's my go-to ammo when other ammo doesn't work. Never had a problem with it, other than sometimes it's hard to find.

20. Deputy

Deputy Millennium Member

Well "good ammo" seems to be a matter of opinion and individual experience more than actual superiority of quality. My opinions...I tried Federal American Eagle and didn't like it at all. Filthy stuff. I do like Sellier & Bellot, but it's sometimes hard to find and it's gotten pretty pricey. Fiocchi is absolute garbage. Cheap crap that's filthy and gives terrible accuracy. I buy ALL my ammo online except for WWB, which I usuallty get from Walmart. I mean all this ammo is just blaster ammo anyway. So I really don't see where one is superior than the other. You buy whatever is cheapest. If we are talking self defense ammo than I only buy Speer Gold Dot.