close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 22 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JTF2, Jan 11, 2004.

1. JTF2

JTF2

Hello I just have a question for the pros. i just purchased a Glock 22. I want to reload for it but have been told that it will self destruct if I do. I want to be able to shoot lead bullets as well What do I have to do to make my glock work with reloads. Do I change the barrel and if I have to Which do you recommend and where I can get it

Thanks for your help.

2. elfjr

elfjr

To shoot reloads you don't need a new barrel, just make sure you don't make any double charges while reloading your ammo. If it makes you feel better get an aftermarket barrel, you will need one anyway if you shoot lead. The lead builds up quickly in glocks hexagonal, and octagonal rifling, which leads to high pressures that can cause a KaBoom.

Just go to wal-mart and get some vaule backs 15.00/100 and shoot away with your factory setup.

3. mapakosta

mapakosta

ditto what elfjr says. I've used nothing but reloads in my 23 with no problems whatsoever. When working reloads, I keep my loads within the middle of the published data. Get yourself a couple of load data books. I like Sierra and Hornandy the best. IMO a good reload will shoot rings around factory ammo for a fraction of the cost. Once you start reloading, you'll find it very addictive. Be safe and have fun!!

4. HI5-O

HI5-O

The factory tells you shooting reloads will void your warranty;P . I know guys in the gun club that shoots reloads but they use jacketed bullets. If I were to want to shoot lead out of my G22, I would buy a KKM barrel from www.brownells.com. An aftermarket barrel has a tighter and supported chamber which aides in keeping your brass from developing a guppy belly. When reloading, try to get access to a chronograph when developing your loads and work up slowly. Stay away from Federal brass that has the "FC" markings, they were the ones blowing up when we switched to the G22 about 8-9 years ago. Federal has since started marking their brass "Federal".

5. Shady

Shady Under the tree

You can select powders (such as Unique) that fill the case with a single charge, so that if you do happen to double charge a cartridge it will be obvious that you've screwed up.

6. cheygriz

cheygriz Venerable Elder

Just get an aftermarket barrel, and you won't have any more worries. You will be able to safely load lead, and safely load factory duplication loads. "Middle of the road loads are fine for recreational shooting games, but if you carry for protection, you want a practice load that duplicates your factory carry load. In other words, full power.

7. Glock4Life

Glock4Life

Agreed. Aftermarket barrel for reloading lead is a must. I'm fine with using FMJ reloads that match factory specs. with the Glock barrel but if you're going to be pushing PSI's I'd again go with the aftermarket barrel. What I've decided to start doing is buy an occasional box of WWB or American Eagle to duplicate practice for carry rounds. I occasionally shoot some carry rounds to stay in tune and the rest of the time I shoot low PSI and low PF target reloads through the Glock barrel. I'd look long and hard at KKM for a barrel if you choose to go that route and if money is not an issue, Jarvis.--JJ

8. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

9. jpshaw

jpshaw

Actually "NO RELOADS - NO LEAD" are disclaimers used by Glock to Cover them in lawsuits. You can reload from the glock barrel but not as many times as a tighter one.

Actually the Hexa/Octagonal type rifling doesn't lead as much as the standard but what lead it does accumulate has no where to go so it can build up pressure if not cleaned.

In short, feel free to reload but if you're going to shoot lead or want to get more reloads per case get an aftermarket barrel.

.40 Club number 14

10. BlackMike

BlackMike Indifferent...

TO be honest, you can reload, but you absolutely want to stick within the norm for .40 loads. Dont be trying to load 10mm-like loadss or it could happen.

11. Col. Kurtz

Col. Kurtz