close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JosephRagsdale, Jan 25, 2006.

1. JosephRagsdale

JosephRagsdale

This is my first gun. I was going to get an all-metal gun thinking that anything with as much plastic as a Glock would be of cheap quality. I took a leap of faith however and purchased it new for $580. After reading the Glock FAQ, field stripping it to see how it functions, and firing 150 rounds, I'm becoming comfortable with it. The grip is thick; however, it's comfortable and controllable. Compared to what I feel firing a rifle, the recoil of the G21 is soft. After researching the .45 ACP and listening to what people have to say about it, I thought the recoil would be difficult to control, if not painful.

I picked up 400 rounds of 230 gr. "fully metal coated" ammo for the range. Does anyone know what the difference and practical difference, if any, between FMJ and FMC?

[​IMG]

2. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

3. 9mmMike

9mmMike The Fun-Police Millennium Member

Nice pic and nice pick.

4. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

You will not regret your purchase! I picked up my new G21 just last Thursday and it had become my overnight FAVORITE Glock EVER! My other Glocks are not as accurate or powerful, and most of them recoil more. Sure this thing is big, but I and others live by the rule "carry the biggest gun you can handle well." You just won't beat the .45 ACP or the soft recoil with this gun. It's the best thing Glock ever produced in my humble opinion.

-Opie, Big Dawg #4006

5. ColoradoGlocker

ColoradoGlocker Former Member

6. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Ya done good.

The big ole Glock (the 21 that is) was my first REAL gun. My real first was a non-pro Taurus PT-111, which was not that great to say the least and was only purchased from my brother because he needed money.

The 21 is my main carry gun. I have shot thousands of rounds out of mine and have yet to have a malfuction in any way, much less break it.

Never sell it, no matter how badly you want something else, you will only regret it.

7. MBR

MBR

You have made a very fine choice! Glock 21 is my agency's issue weapon and always will be as long as Im in charge of firearms/training. Im on my second 21 in my career. We replaced our Gen 2's with Gen 3's. I have shot and seen shot many thousands of rounds through 21's. I have seen very few stoppages.

I recomend an Advantage Arms .22 convertion kit for your new 21!

Read this...........
    http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=462537

Very fine choice, enjoy it!

8. MBR

MBR

Oh Yea,

You will also need a 30 and 36 to keep your 21 company.

9. JosephRagsdale

JosephRagsdale

I am considering what my next Glock will be. I was thinking a G22, but may stick with the .45 ACP.

I wonder how hard it is to conceal a G21. I've seen a G19 and it really doesn't look that much smaller to me. At least not when it's under a shirt and outside the waist band.

10. big68

big68

Very cool and congrats on the 21. I think you will like it, if not many around here will be willing to take it off your hands.

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I IWB carry mine all the time. It takes a certain body build to pull it off (i.e. big ;)), but it can be done. If you usually wear semi-baggy clothing, it should be just fine. Try just tucking it in your waistband (unloaded of course) and see if it prints. If it does print too badly like this, then the extra girth of a holster will just make it worse. But if you think it passes, then get a cheaper IWB holster at first and see if that works. I use a leather Don Hume IWB for my G21 and it works great for around $30 or so. I also had an Uncle Mike's Kydex IWB holster. I liked it, until one of the screws holding the clip on backed out and went bye bye.

I am now wanting a Kramer IWB for it.

As for the caliber thing. I went trhough many different calibers before I realized I need to stick to only a few. It's easier and cheaper to buy ammo in bulk, you don't have to keep a stock of a bunch of different calibers, etc. I chose .45acp for the big boy stuff, 9mm for when .45acp can't be had, and .380 for the small pocket gun stuff.

Therefore I would vote for you to get a G30. Plus your 21 mags will work in the little .45.

12. JosephRagsdale

JosephRagsdale

It doesn't print tucked in my pants. And yes, it was unloaded. I'd rather not shoot my balls off today.

Which model Don Hume IWB holster did you buy? There's quite a few holsters on their site.

13. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

The cheapie one with the clip. It does the job just fine. It just clips over your pants and belt. It is a pain to take off (at least for me), so I don't think it is going anywhere. It should only be about $30.

The nice thing about that holster is I found 2 other guns that work in it too. A SIG P226 (fits like a glove) and a CZ-97B (the front part kind of hangs out a tad, but otherwise works).

edited to add:

With that holster and the G21 I have done some very physical things while carrying it, incuding moving and helping someone move (both times from a 3rd floor apartment). After about an hour, I forget it is even there.

14. JosephRagsdale

JosephRagsdale