close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 21 question

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by KAL-EL, Aug 19, 2004.

1. KAL-EL

KAL-EL

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me with a question I have about something happening on my new G21. I have been experiencing a minor problem. I apologize if this is a common occurrence or has been discussed in another thread before. I tried searching but couldn't find anything related. When I rack the slide or the slide locks back with an empty magazine and I insert a fully loaded 10 round magazine and release the slide lever - the slide will not go all the forward. I have to tap or very slightly push the back of the slide to get it to load the round into the chamber. This doesn't happen with 9 or less rounds in the magazine. It doesn't appear that the bullet is hanging up on the feed ramp as far as I can tell. The feed ramp shows barely any signs of friction or wear marks at all. I have noticed that with 10 rounds in the magazine the first round does sit with a slight upward incline. I have about 1000 rounds through this new pistol which is cleaned after every range visit. This has been happening since day 1. I thought maybe the magazine springs were possibly still very stiff and needed to break in some. I also own a G36 and never had anything like this happen, I know they are very different pistols. I planned on stopping at the local glock armorer to have him inspect the pistol but haven't had the chance to stop by yet. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or has an idea why this is happening. Otherwise I'll stop at the armorer's as soon as I can.

Thanks
    Nick

2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Instead of using the slide stop lever as a slide release, use the overhand method of racking the slide back all the way with your weak hand and then letting it go.

3. Mic

Mic Millennium Member

You say that it happens with only 10 rounds and not 9 rounds, my thoughs are the the mag folwer is tight. Is it hard to load the 10th round in the mag? If so you may want to trim the bottom of the folwer(sp?) about an 1/8th inch.

4. Glk21C

Glk21C

I had similar problems when my 21C was new also. With time though, it's gone away. I attributed it too the springs being "new" in the mags., I couldn't even get ten rounds in the new magazines. I loaded the magazines up while not in use and let them sit full, as I said, the problem has gone away. Doing what I did may have nothing to do with it, but at least it's gone.

Artie

5. KAL-EL

KAL-EL

Thanks for the responses. It does sometimes hang up per say even when racking the slide using the four fingers over the slide method. It definitely is decreasing in frequency the more I keep using the pistol. Another 250 rounds through it and it is definitely doing it much less. I have been racking the slide manually and not using the slide stop lever as a slide release also. Just seems with 10 rounds and racking the slide, the slide doesn't go all the forward without a slight tap on the back of it occasionally. I think it may be the springs or the follower like you guys mentioned. I'm going to just keep putting rounds through the pistol and see what happens after breaking it some more.

6. KHAviator

KHAviator

That's exactly what I did to solve the problemo with Klinton mags in my 21 when new. No worries now ;a