New Glock 21, accuracy issue.

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by dennis muldrew, Aug 14, 2015.

1. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

I haven't been here in a long time, but since this is a Glock forum and you all are experts I felt I could get an answer here. I got a new G21, and installed a DK custom trigger and Ace of Diamond sights. So far so good. I like the trigger, and I like the sights. BUT...and this is the issue. I shoot it consistently to the left. All of the pistol training targets define this area of error as "too little trigger finger". I thought that was the purpose of the trigger!!!? I can adjust the rear sight to hit point of aim, but it's noticeably to the right when I do. This happens with the OEM Glock barrel as well as with a Wilson Combat G21 barrel. I have other Glocks, 17, 27, and 36. I don't seem to have this issue with them. Any help, ideas, I shoot my Ed Brown 1911 well. Thanks in advance

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. ronin.45

ronin.45

Is your hand big enough to reach the trigger properly? The 21 is a big gun. If you are pulling from the side you may be pushing left.

3. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

yeah, in fact I'm thinking about trying the back straps to see if I can fit it better. Shooting without one now.

4. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I shoot a G 21 and during an Alias Training Class, asked Pat McNamara the same thing. he told me the coach of the Army Marksmanship Unit told him to bury his finger in the trigger guard. Get as much finger on the trigger as possible. This worked for left hand drifting.

5. HK Dan

HK Dan

Ya need to put the trigger nearly in the crease of the first joint. DONT adjust the sights, you'll be adjusting them back after you resolve your grip issue. (and that's what this is). eople changing between MODELS of GLOCKs often shoot left/low left because of the grip issue.

6. fasteddie565

So how'd this end up?

7. dennis muldrew

dennis muldrew

Interesting developments. The shooting low and left problem is fixed. I have always used the pad on the tip of my index finger to press the trigger. I do this on all my rifles and my 1911, but the same action on the G21 caused drift. I put more finger thru the trigger guard and the problem corrected it's self. I put a Trijicon RMR on this pistol and holy crap did the movement become apparent when I tried my old ways. Sucks to get old and wear bifocals that make it hard to focus on the front sight, but that problem is bypassed with the RMR, I guess I didn't appreciate the drift looking thru iron sights, but it was very apparent with the red dot.

8. fasteddie565

My experience as well, "Burying" my finger in the trigger guard really helped center my shots.

9. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

[​IMG]

By far, the best tool I have for lining up pistol sights. Uses a magnet and orings, not star bits or any of that garbage. Those orings always center perfectly in pistols. If it says your sights are centered, then it's the shooter. I bring this to gun stores now, won't buy a 1911 unless this tool says the sights are cool.

Have used it to troubleshoot many shooters aim issues. But a known accurate, but similar pistol should do the same. Know anyone with another G21 that he shoots dead on?

10. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You can bandage your left issue with more trigger finger, but the cause is your grip. Hold your gun like this

[​IMG]

11. Hondo123

Hondo123

I was hoping to run across a post like this, because I have been having the same problem with my Model 22. I have tired different things, and my groups have tightened down, but 95% of all my shots are still on the left side of the target. One thing I tried was shooting with the "fingerprint" pad of my finger, but that did nothing except make my finger sore. I tried using a Vogel style grip, and that tightened my groups nicely, but nearly all shots were still on the left half of the target. Prior to the Glock, I had been shooting with a Ruger Mk 1 target pistol, and a S&W Model 19 6-inch, which has a butter smooth trigger probably in the neighborhood of 2.5 to 3lbs. Last night, I upgraded the stock trigger on the Glock to a Guardian to see if that might help, but truth be known, I really don't like the Glock triggers at all. I think the pressure needed at the break is very high, and this can only, undoubtedly cause you to go off-target. I will try going the other way and moving my trigger finger in and see what that does. I think with more of my finger on the trigger, I'll see some better control.

While I'm at it, let me post another question. I have been shooting at a 12-inch bulls-eye at the range, and it's my sense the .40 cal seems to have quite a bit of bullet rise. At 15 yards, I am aiming at the bottom of the target rings and hitting around the bulls-eye level on the target. At 25 yards, it rises higher. I tried shooting at 50 yards, and my shots were hitting the target carrier deflection plate, which was around 2.5 feet above the target. Can someone recommend where I should spot on a 12-inch target at 15, 25 and 50 yards with a Model 22?

12. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

You should zero at 40 yards POA/POI. Everything closer will be less than .5" deviation. What I do is check at about 10-12 yards, then check 40. Don't worry about a small group, just if the overall group is centered. I use standard USPSA targets. Some Glocks won't zero with OEM sights, but they are crap anyway. Check out the Dawson Precision. They will send you a new front sight if it is not to POA/POI for free.

https://dawsonprecision.com/glock-charger-tritium-fixed-sight-set/

13. Michael Bolt-On

Michael Bolt-On

He appears to be using instinctive aiming. His line of sight seems to be well over the top of his sights. Could be an optical illusion.

14. Hondo123

Hondo123

I didn't want to post a response until I had tried out this new part for my G22, but it really worked. I too was experiencing the same problem. 95% of my shots were grouped on the left side of the target. It was really infuriating, because I confirmed that my aim was true with my S&W Model 19 and my Ruger Mark 1. I did some searching here on the GT forums and discovered a thread on the T.R. Graham Match Grade Slide Lock (MGSL). Based on the posts I read, I decided to spring for the $30 and replace the slide lock with Graham's. I received the MGSL right before Christmas and tried it out that weekend. The results were dramatic. All my shots were lined up on center.

Problem solved.

So it seems that what some reported about the factory slide lock is true. When Glock stamps the part number onto the slide lock, it gets ever so slightly deformed, which I'm guessing caused my problem. The results were so dramatic, I would consider it a standard upgrade for anyone owning a Glock. Highly recommended. I think you can find the thread here on GT by searching on "match grade slide lock" if you're interested in trying out this inexpensive upgrade/fix.

15. Michael Bolt-On

Michael Bolt-On

^id keep an eye on your barrel lugs if I were you. Maybe he revised the geometry of the new part, but I've read reports of them chipping the barrel lugs.