close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 20

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ralphie, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Ralphie

Ralphie

I'd been wanting to get a new pistol recently, but couldn't seem to pick one. While surfing the internet I realized that Glock makes this beast that holds 15 rounds of 10mm ammo.

I know they've made it for years, but I think the Brady Bill era where everything was 10 rounds max may have masked it from me.

Anyway, approximately 20 hours after I made this discovery, I bought one. Yep, proud owner of a new Glock 20. I can hardly set the thing down to type. Hopefully I'll get to the range this week.

I've searched some threads on this site, but can't seem to come up with many sources of reasonably priced 10mm ammo. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Congrats.
    I'm not a handloader yet, so I shoot a lot of CCI Blazer. Just recently my dealer started getting Federal Eagle 180 fmj ammo. Boy howdy it as accurate stuff! Shot some today and was getting exellent groups at 25 yards. Finding the brass was tough in the deep snow.
    I chose the 10mm when all pistols were 10 rounds. If you only get ten, why ten of the best?
    Now my full cap's are in and things are even better.

3. OJ

OJ Deceased Millennium Member

http://www.natchezss.com/

They have CCI Blazer ammo at the best price I find. I use Winchester Silvertips for carry but they are out of stock at the moment. I have no financial interest with them - just passing on my experience.

;z

4. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

Congrats!

Double Tap has some hot practice ammo that's reasonably priced. I buy my practice ammo from Georgia-Arms.com. $190 per thou plus shipping. It's once-reloaded, and I have had excellent luck with it. Also, have a look at their Shear Power Plus line. It's new factory ammo with Gold Dot bullets.

5. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

For high performance 10mm practice loads, check out DT's 180gn FMJ @ 1250fps (500rds for $145): www.doubletapammo.com

Hope this helps. :)

6. Ralphie

Ralphie

Thanks for the replies guys and/or gals. I bought a box of Remington ammo at the gun shop, so I'd have something. I looked up the ballistics on their website and it's comparable to much of their 40 cal stuff.

I'd really like to find something that's more powerful, so that I can feel what it's like with real 10mm ammo, not a '40 cal long' round. Then I'll have to work on a defense round as well.

Thanks for the link to the DT site. Their stuff is more powerful than what I have. I'll continue to search the other links and wherever I can to find something similar that is cheaper, whether it's possible or not.

Thanks again. I'll post a range report when I can (maybe tomorrow).

Wayne (still can't believe I finally own a 10mm)

7. porterfield

porterfield

Double Tap is the only ammo I shoot or carry.
    Need to get ya a G29 next!

8. Chainsaw Maniac

Chainsaw Maniac

Double Tap is great stuff, no doubt. But if cost effective is what you want, look no further than Georgia Arms Shear Power Plus.

9. kool aid

kool aid MR.10mm

Do like i did buy a .40 cal coversion barrel. It will pay for itself after a couple thousand rounds. I still shoot the 10mm often but switching up helps the wallet out.

10. Ralphie

Ralphie

I went to the range today. I couldn't take it any longer. I must say that this pistol fells better than any other that I have shot. I had no idea what to expect as far as recoil is concerned, but it is actually less than my CZ 97B .45 cal. I'm not really recoil sensitive anyway, and the GLOCK seems to let me acquire the sights fairly quickly.

I must admit that I haven't been to the range in quite some time, but this pistol will fix that (once I find the right ammo). I kind of sprayed it around, much worse than my first outing with my .45, but I'm blaming it on 2 cups of coffee with no breakfast. Time will tell...

Anyway, I REALLY like this pistol. First one I've had that made me feel as though I need to practice to make myself 'worthy' of it.

Wayne

11. bac1023

bac1023

The only ammo I shoot or carry in my G29 is DoubleTap. Most factory ammo is downloaded quite a bit. I like shooting real 10mm rounds.

12. Ralphie

Ralphie

Thanks for the reply Chainsaw.

I will be ordering some of the Shear Power Plus, and probably some of their lower price/power stuff as well, for that price.

I've just got to save a few bucks so that I can get enough to make the shipping worthwhile.

Wayne

13. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

Next thing you need is a set of real sights. Hienie Slant pro's. 'Nuff said!

14. DanaT

DanaT Pharaoh

I just joined the same club.

I have been lurking for three or four months. I started thinking i want to add a 10mm to my collection. I looked at EAAs and decided on a G20. I ended up finding a used G20 with the 3rd generation frame, 2 hicaps (LEO marked) and one 10 round, Fobus holster, grip sock, and if it ever had 50 rounds through it I would be surprised. The "scuff" marks on the barrel seemed only as pronounced as new ones that people had racked the slide on. Anyways, $450 later it came home.

Now I just need to get some ammo and go play.

I amm still unsold on the glock grip angle (that is why this is my first glock). I will wait and see how it fires before I pass final judgement.

Hopefully this weekend will be nice enough to go shooting....

-Dana