close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Glock 17 + 500 rounds of Reloads. Should I be worried?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Jerry X, Jan 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Jerry X

Jerry X

Today I went to the Gunshow and bought 500 rounds of 115 gr Reloads from LAX Firing Range located in southern California. Should I be worried? This will be the first time that I've shot reloads.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  2. G36's Rule

G36's Rule Senior Member

Yes, you should be worried.

Gunshow reloads are not going to make GLOCK happy when you KB your 17 and they ask you what kind of ammo you were using...

3. TuxthePenguin

TuxthePenguin

I've shot hundreds of gunshow reloads through my Glocks, 0 problems.

4. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Reloads are like used cars. You are taking a gamble using them.

5. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

Unless you do 'em yourself and do everything meticulously and exercise extreme caution.

6. LoadedTech

LoadedTech

Who reloaded the ammo? Were the bullets lead, plated, FMJ? Stock barrel or aftermarket?

7. elde

elde Lifetime Member

At the least they need to be FMJ reloads, not lead. Reloaders' quality control varies tremendously.....best way to determine reliability of their loads is to research results via the net or word of mouth.

I personally would never use gun show reloads in my firearms. Georgia Arms is as close as I get to reloads. They have a great reputation.

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

The only reloads you should use are ones you did yourself. That way you know their quality and have no one but yourself to blame if things go wrong.

Using any type of reload in a Glock will technically void the warranty. If something goes wrong with your gun because of those reloads, it definitely voids your warranty.

It's not that I'd be particularly worried about using reloads in a Glock, but mainly that I didn't do the loads myself and it's a partially supported chamber design. A lot of guns have partially supported chambers(a bit of support lacking near the feed ramp for increased feed reliability), not just Glocks. If I did the loads myself and was very experienced in doing so, I'd have no worries because I would only use once-fired brass and make absolutely sure the casings are resized properly, but gunshow reloads aren't likely to have been made with such care.

Edit: And as elde pointed out in the above post, they have to be full metal jacket. Unjacketed lead will build residue inside the barrel of a Glock too fast and is unsafe, and voids your warranty. Glock barrels have polygonal rifling as opposed to traditional rifling. If you want to shoot unjacketed lead safely in your Glock you need an aftermarket barrel with conventional rifling, but doing so still voids your warranty.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  9. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

THAT, I agree with....

10. z71rat

z71rat Need ammo...

I bought a case of 9mm from a gunshow back when I had my Glock17. In the first 100 rounds out of the case, I had 3 rounds let go. It wasn't too bad, but the 3rd round blew out the magazine and ripped through part of the frame. The pressure was intense, and it was painful.

I took the remaining 900 rounds back, and they exchanged them for some factory Winchester rounds. I will no longer use any reloads in anything Glock. Glock frowns on the use of reloads, and I can understand why.

DK

11. den888

den888

I've not had problems usually commercially made reloads. And, I always use FMJ and not lead projectiles.

12. Jerry X

Jerry X

They are FMJ. The vendor that was selling them owns a gun range in California.

13. Jerry X

Jerry X

:shocked:

14. CPG19

CPG19

I also was at the show today .. two guys in front of me , they both got 9mm reloads and .45 . price was dirt CHEAP ! i was thinking / and asking my brother , if i should get some reloads .. but , he recommends "no" start blahing why this n that .. mean time , the worker is like "what do you want ? "

in hurry , i went with federal 124grain FMJ 9mm 1000rounds . it was like 270 total after tax . yea ! expensive .. but im glad i went with factory .

15. CPG19

CPG19

btw , did you get a stamp on your way out ? cuz you can go back tomorrow for free if you show your stamp . maybe u can switch em out to FMJ ..iono ..
    but , its not like you got thousands of reloads .. just shoot those 500 rounds n get it over with .. but its up to you

16. Thrillhouse700

Thrillhouse700

Eh I went last year and the ammo prices really aren't amazing. Not to mention the wait to get in was stupid, the 15 thousand person line for the ammo table was ridiculous just for ammo prices that were still not as good as a good online deal if you wait for it. I guess if you need need it then the prices aren't toooo bad. Factor in the 14 dollar entrance fee and the california tax........

Anyone get any smokin deals this year tho?

17. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

If they are from Miwall, you are good to go. Miwall is a high quality, commercial company selling new and reloaded ammunition.

Miwall is located in Grass Valley, CA.

18. CPG19

CPG19

I agree . if i add up parking & entry & ticket & ammo price , it would've been better , if i just got em from online somewhere ..
    I probably didn't search hard enough , but most online places were out of stock on common factory ammo . at least this way , i knew they were going to stock for sure .. nextime , im getting it from online ..

is there good online site where i can get ammos from ? where , they usually stock em n ship right away ?

19. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

i have 10s of thousands of rounds of my reloads through my 19 and 17s.
    not one issue ever.

and i run lead too.
    i use a lone wolf barrel to be safe.

20. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Check with Cabela's every now and then. I ordered online 500/ 9mm, S&B , 124 grn FMJ for $109, w/c in Reno. Brass cases, boxer primed, reloadable. I've loaded S&B brass with no problem. I was in the Reno store this week and they had numerous brands for $13-15 per box.
    Plus they had what you wanted in primers, powder, etc. I have their cc and get rebates when I check out. Nice!