New Gen5 shoots low. It ain’t me!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Todd Hayes, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ChrisD46

ChrisD46

*The 115gr. loads shoot low , the 124 gr. shoot closer to POA while the 147gr. shoot slightly high at 12 to 25 yards.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

ive used those cheap sights on Glocks for years without issue

Delndskyjmpr and HEXE9 like this.

3. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

+1

I’ve taken a few Glocks to hell and back with those sights and never a problem.

In most cases, the guys quick to condemn them are the ones who’s Glocks do nothing but go from a padded bag to a square range.

buster55 likes this.
  4. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

People have had issues with the plastic sights.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  5. Bradd D

Bradd D

I haven't had any issues with the factory plastic sights and they are much improved on the Gen 5's, but they don't have tritium so they are of no use to me.

6. DirectDrive

DirectDrive

Also it depends on what Sight Picture you like.
    I'll bench a new Glock with the plastic sights.

1) Note POI/POA and target distance
    2) Measure sight heights above the slide
    3) Do the math or use the sight calculator at Dawson or Ameriglo IF NEEDED
    4) Buy the permanent sights for the pistol

harold63 likes this.
  7. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Thanks. Just an update for Glockers that were not owners in the early years.

Glock front sights have gone through 3 design changes in the past 34 years.

Originally the front sight had a plastic pin the was inserted in to the bottom center of the shaft to keep it spread apart.

The second design replaced the plastic pin with a metal screw, but was only about half the height of the front sight.

Glock Night Sights used this same half length screw.

The third and current design uses a full length screw. The full length screw was also added to the Glock Night Sights. i know of no other night sights for the Glock that use a full length front sight screw.

i haven’t heard of any durability issues with the third design. Robust!

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  8. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Truth be known, here's the biggest sight 'nuance'. Any sights will work if you sight them according to what you like. Some are better than others, of course, but it's just the same...they all work.

eta - adding using a rifle sight set up obviously won't work like night sight dots, but still, you can set either to hit the x long as you can see the x. As DD says, it's the sight pic you like. Good tidbit. ;)

AdamRodgers likes this.
  9. dg370

dg370

Respectfully I would say that the ‘out of box’ sight picture from the factory has changed from top of sight to combat. I don’t think Glock has communicated this very well and the way the gun functions from one generation to the next has changed. Yes I can file that away in my mind and deal with it. The problem is under duress are you going to deal with under over thoughts very well. Probably not. I just want all of mine to be the same. My preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mr Meeseeks likes this.
  10. Bradd D

Bradd D

11. Harv

Harv

So I don't need to buy the Ameriglos spec'd out for Gen 5?
    I just bought a new Gen 5 G19FS. Rear marked 6.1

12. JBP55

JBP55

Go with 6.5 rear Harv.

13. Harv

Harv

Ameriglo does not seem to call out the sight height... I'm confused. I want a Hackathorn d=front/all black rear. Just not sure if I can go with the gen1-4 model sights or if I need the Gen 5 version.

14. Delndskyjmpr

Delndskyjmpr

3B42F09C-0316-4522-B269-77A40019DCA9.jpeg
    Spot on...... I actually went back to stock on some of my Glock’s that I had Dawson’s on, just painted some orange enamel over the white front dot. Luv them.

My G3 17 is back sporting stock sights, my most fav range gun for pistol, yesterday did some extended range shooting at 84 yards, unsupported 2 hand. Prob around 50-60% hit ratio on the silhouette, a good part of my misses were just off the edges.

In the photo is my 34 next to it, the Carver mount and C-More came off today, put a set of adjustable FO Dawson’s on it that I had laying around, heading back out tomorrow to see if I can put rounds on the 12” round at same distance.

All in all, imho, I feel the stock sights are pretty adequate.

15. Todd Hayes

Todd Hayes

The adjustable rear allowed me to learn what size rear sight I needed. The 6.5 would have fixed my shooting low problem on my Gen5 17. I wanted a fiber optic front sight and decided to give the Ameriglo combination at try. It has a blacked out rear made of steel and fiber front. It now shoots perfect center hold and the price at forty shipped was good.

16. Krav Maglock

Krav Maglock

Glock brand sight adjustments are made with the rear sight. Their front sight hight is the same. Ameriglo on the other hand makes their adjustments with different front sight hights. 6.1mm rear is what most gen 5 pistols come with from Glock. I too shot low with this set up so I replaced the rear sight with a 6.5mm and all is well. Ameriglo the standard gen 5 front is .200" if you shoot low change to the .180" front. I hope that helps.:dunno: