close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gen4 G19 - Sifting through the Garbage

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MuskieJim, Feb 26, 2012.

1. MuskieJim

MuskieJim

After reading countless threads on some people experiencing an issue while others are not, I pulled the trigger and purchased a new Gen4 G19, my first Glock. I've put 500 rounds through it so far, and 1 in 50 or so will come straight back at the shooter's face. There are a thousand and one threads regarding this issue, yet most discuss "limp wristing", crappy ammo, etc. I'm shooting Fed Factory 115 grain. Trying to keep it simple, what part can I replace here to correct this issue? Other than this issue, the pistol shoots great and feels awesome in my hands. I purchased it mainly for the range and HD for my fiance. She shot a friends so well that she wanted her own!

2. tinman517

tinman517

Congrats on the 19.

There are quite a few recent threads on the topic. You should read them and decide what direction you would like to pursue.

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Hi Jim, welcome to GlockTalk! Nice fish!

One case in the face does not a problem make.....that's why we wear glasses when shooting. If it becomes a constant thing, that's different.

What you describe could easily be attributed to shooter inexperience, once in a while the grip isn't good, and the wrist is allowed to flex, which can cause the case to eject erratically.

On the other hand, we should see what ejector your gun has in it....
    [​IMG]

4. bentbiker

bentbiker

Questions:

• What number is on your ejector?
    • Does the extractor fall out of its slot easily, or is it somewhat tight and needs coaxing?
    • Have you tried your SD ammo? Are you and your fiance comfortable that the higher power of any SD round will most likely eliminate that 1/50 chance for an undesirable ejection during a defense situation?
    • Is your real concern for 1/50 rds of weak ammo at the range making it less fun to practice?
    • Any chance that such a small percentage could be caused by an occasional overly relaxed grip?

Edit: Guess Butch beat me to the punch again.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. MuskieJim

MuskieJim

Thank you very much for the good info guys, and thanks for the compliment on the fish, lol. I will take a look at the gun when I get home today and look at the ejector. As far as I know, the extractor does not fall out easily and it tight. I have not shot the SD ammo through the gun yet, but I'm guessing my problem may just be the weaker ammo. It's not a big concern that 1/50 kicks back, the gun has never jammed or failed to fire/feed, so I'm a happy camper. Wanted to ask the guys who would know!

If the gun has the Gen4 ejector on the photo in the left, is this more prone to the kickbacks?

6. Hognutz

Hognutz

Congrats on the new 19, and welcome to the forum..:wavey:

7. Butch

Nope, that's the fix....

8. bentbiker

bentbiker

Just the opposite -- the twisted ejector (marked 30274) on the left was designed to help eliminate erratic ejections and has been installed on new Gen4's test-fired after 10/10/11.

9. bac1023

bac1023

10. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

Hey Butch,

When I read this thread, I went and looked at my gen 3 19. On mine the firing pin sticks out. Seems to not wanna push back in, but I didn't want to use too much force.

Is this a problem?

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

Itchy, with the muzzle end of the slide pointed upward as in the picture, push the safety plunger in and the FP will fall back into the channel.

12. Butch

Sounds normal, the firing pin safety holds it forward after dry firing it....use more force. :)

Dry fire it with the muzzle pointing up and then see if the firing pin is forward....the firing pin spring does not *hold* the firing pin forward.

13. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

MuskieJim,

Congrats on the new Glock, and welcome to GT!

14. Itchy Finger

Itchy Finger Junior G Man

Thanks guys. I did these things, but not much luck. I bet I know, though. Prolly needs a good cleaning cuz it's all gunked up AND iI have used oil in the channel...shame, shame. I know better now...from all you "edumacated" guys.

I jus dint wanna have the dreaded slam bang :shocked:

15. bentbiker

bentbiker

If you hold the slide in your hand, depress and hold down the FP safety, can you hear the FP rattle when shake the slide front to rear?

16. ca survivor

ca survivor

"After reading countless threads on some people experiencing an issue.........."
    :dunno:

17. MuskieJim

MuskieJim

"After reading countless threads on some people experiencing an issue while others are not"

Some people have had zero issues with the Gen4. Go read some more

18. tonyparson

tonyparson

Congrats on the new G19 and welcome to Glocktalk..:wavey:

19. ctrcs

ctrcs

I sent my G19 Gen4 back to Glock and they replaced Recoil Spring, Ejector, Extractor, Spring Loaded Bearing, Extractor Depressor Plunger (EDP), EDP Spring, Firing Pin Safety. The first time I went out with it I was using 124 gr & above and had no problem. The second time with American Eagle 115 gr, I had 5 of 50 in the face. The American Eagle ammo has always been good in my other guns. It may be that I need to break it in again and yes I do believe that Gen4 Glocks do need to be broken in. Good Luck.

20. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Brass to the face is a problem. I wish people would stop saying it is not. You don't need your own brass taking out your eye in a defensive situation.

Having said that, test it with the ammo you would use for HD. Maybe that will work better.

There are lots of threads with info about fixes, and fixes that don't work in the long run, and maybe fixes that do fix the problem, or not.

But one thing seems kinda constant in all this mess (even though I could be wrong about it). And that is: how fast is the slide flying backwards?

-- The newer the gun, the stiffer the recoil spring, the less broken in everything is, the slower the slide is flying backwards.

-- The weaker the ammo, the less the recoil, the slower the slide is flying backwards.

-- The more inexperienced the shooter, or the softer someone tries to shoot, or the less firm the brace because of body position for the shot, or the weaker the wrist, or the more anyone is limpwristing, the slower the slide is flying backwards (relative to the frame of the gun).

There may be other issues at play, such as whether the extractor is getting a good grip on the brass, that may or may not have much to do with slide speed.

But maybe, just maybe, the more rounds you put down the gun, and the stronger the ammo, things might getter better on their own.

Limpwristing is the poorest excuse of all. A good semi-auto will work with even the worst of the limpwristing newbies. We do not want our Glocks to be hyper-sensitive to that. Don't forget that in defensive situations, even the experienced shooter my find him/herself wounded or in awkward body positions, so we don't want the Glock to be sensitive to the type of hold being used. Just my opinion :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012