GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far, at least.

I like to benchrest my defensive pistols at 25 yards to see what they are capable of and have set a criteria of 2" or better for a carry gun. I know all the internet arguments about this being unnecessary, and I don't care. Inaccurate guns don't interest me.

All of my Glocks will do under 2". A couple will do 1".

Tried 4 different loads today and the best group was 3 1/8" with the worst being 7 1/4". Completely disappointed. It seemed to like the 180 grain Hornady XTPs the best, and the 200 grain Speer Gold Dots the worst. Other groups were around 4.5" to 5.5".

I'll try some more loads using the 180 grain XTPs, but if they don't substantially improve, I'll probably get rid of this thing.

Was hoping it would be closer to my Gen 5 G19 in accuracy...

This is completely unacceptable...

·
Registered
767 Posts
Do you have another barrel you can try? Maybe the barrel or locking block slightly out of spec.

Hope you get it figured out and I always have best results with XTP especially the 115gr in 9mm XTP.

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
It's not the gun. It's you, fundamentals first: stance, grip, sight picture trigger control. Shooting is 99% the shooter.

·
Mr. Awesome
10,414 Posts
I haven’t shot mine, for accuracy. I know it’s “combat accurate”, but by the time I got to the new G23, I was tired and we had to get packed up.

Where did you find 200gr Gold Dots?

·
Mr. Awesome
10,414 Posts
It's not the gun. It's you, fundamentals first: stance, grip, sight picture trigger control. Shooting is 99% the shooter.
That’s awfully presumptive. You did see his first target, right? While it’s usually the shooter, it isn’t always. Some firearms don’t shoot straight.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven’t shot mine, for accuracy. I know it’s “combat accurate”, but by the time I got to the new G23, I was tired and we had to get packed up.

Where did you find 200gr Gold Dots?
RMR Bullets had around 220,000 of them they were selling back in November. I think they lasted less than a week.

·
MacGyver
7,191 Posts
I couldn't bench 750 today, and I never accept weights that I can't lift ...I think the bar was broken, and the spotter was not giving me enough help. No other explanation.

Denial.
Blame the gun and the ammo, and everything else: the sights, the recoils spring the trigger. Perhaps the level of blue in the lighting, or the windspeed?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't bench 750 today, and I never accept weights that I can't lift ...I think the bar was broken, and the spotter was not giving me enough help. No other explanation.

Denial.
Blame the gun and the ammo, and everything else: the sights, the recoils spring the trigger. Perhaps the level of blue in the lighting, or the windspeed?
Sad...

·
Mr. Awesome
10,414 Posts
How does it do with factory ammunition?

Reactions: L-2

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Green70- I'm glad you posted this. I have been bench-resting Glocks, 1911's etc for decades, usually at 50 yards. I've come to expect 4 to 4 1/2 inches for five shots at 50 yards from stock Glocks with good factory ammo or reloads. I have seen the occasional, individual pistol do 3 inches or a tad more. So your 25 yard results are right on par with my 50 yard results.

My accuracy testing was limited to Gen 2 and 3 Glocks in 40 S&W and 45 ACP. This is because I dislike the texture of Gen 4 and later guns (IWB carry next to the skin) and personally have no interest in the 9mm. On your Gen 5 G23- that one is obviously a dud (so much for the vaunted 'Marksman' barrel LOL) and I would either hit Glock up for a replacement, or kick it to the curb. Life's too short to fool with inaccurate guns.

·
Previously Jisbell40
691 Posts
My duty gun is a g45 and off a rest at 50 yards it shoots 8” groups with our designated practice ammo and 6” groups with our carry ammo 124 HST +p. Previously we carried gen 3 g22 and it was much more accurate. It a fan of the 5s or 9mm at all. I would look for a gen 3 or gen 4 g23.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Every gun is different. Some like this ammo and don't like this ammo. Find what it likes. Yeah, it can't be the person after seeing the other targets and their shot placements.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I loaded up a couple of more recipes last night using XTPs and RMRs FP in 180gr using Power Pistol and Blue Dot. Have to wait until next week to see how they do.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts