close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New Gen 4 Glock 19 - First 150 Rds

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MississipVol, Apr 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. MississipVol

MississipVol

Range Report for the very first time out with my new Gen 4 Glock 19. I shot 150 rds total with 100 rounds of Federal American Eagle 115 gr and 50 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 gr.

Bottom line - The gun shot GREAT with no FTF, no nothing. I know it is just 150 rounds but it performed very well. Very well with the exception of some spent brass coming back at me. In fact, I'd say I had about 15-20% of the rounds coming back and hitting me on the top of the head, chest, or upper arm. I can't say I noticed a difference with each ammunition but it did seem to get better over the course of my shooting. So it could get better with breaking in or I am very much a newbie pistol shooter so it could be something I was doing on some trigger pulls.

I look forward to going out some more and getting more practice so I can work on getting tighter groupings. By the way - any recommended distance for a newbie to learn to shoot? I put my target out at 20 feet which seemed like a decent distance. Thanks in advance!

2. 8th ID

8th ID

Congrats on the new 19!! The 19 is my favorite Glock.

What is your pistols test fire date? It will be stamped on the small envelope with the fired casings.

And what are the numbers on your recoil spring assembly (RSA)? Should be 0-4-3.

And if you can take a look at your ejector, it should have 30274 stamped on it.

3. MississipVol

MississipVol

Test fire date on pistol is 3/15/2012.

Numbers on spring assembly are 0-4-3.

Ejector number is 30274.

So what are you thinking?

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

Glad to hear you are happy with your G19.

5. 8th ID

8th ID

Just checking to make sure your 19 has the up to date parts from Glock. Only suggestion I would make is to shoot more ammo to see if the brass to the head, etc. continues. Great to hear that there were no real stoppages. And distance for a newbie? 21 ft is a good starting point, but there are many more experienced shooters on this forum who will probably chime in with some better advice, etc for a new shooter.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  6. MississipVol

MississipVol

OK. Do you think the rear ejections are something I should worry about or do you think it will get better as the gun breaks in? Do you have any recommendations for me?

BTW, none of the rear ejects were forceful. Those that hit me seemed to be lobbed in my direction rather than shot with force. But like I said, it was only about 2 or 3 rounds out of every 10 or 12 shots.

7. 8th ID

8th ID

The Gen4 G19's have had some problems. On this forum there have been numerous theories, fixes, and long discussions, and arguments on the problems. Parts (ejectors, RSA's) have been updated by Glock. You have the newest updates. Some users have also changed extractors to mixed results. My suggestion stands: Shoot it more. My Gen4 G19 (with updated parts) has given me zero problems through about 1000 rounds, and I feel confident enough to carry it daily. If the brass to the head continues or gets worse, I would call Glock.

8. pureshot78

pureshot78

I recall reading in another thread that Federal American Eagle was loaded with lighter charges to save cost. You might do a search to confirm and / or try another brand and see if you get better results.

Sent from my Nexus One

9. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G19.

10. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Nice to hear another satisfied Glock 19 owner in any Gen version. :wavey:

:50cal:

11. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

:welcome:and congrats on the new G19. enjoy:supergrin:

12. vtjetboy

vtjetboy

the 19 is the perfect handgun. Concealable yet could be a duty weapon as well

13. Chronos

Chronos

If you test with some hotter ammo, I suspect your weak/back ejection issue will miraculously go away. Glock 9mm's are really built for the upper end of the power spectrum, and not the bottom end. They will endure over ridiculous round counts with hot +p ammo, but I do not generally trust them to perform flawlessly with the really weak stuff like Federal Champion.

14. donovan655

donovan655

I have a late model gen 3 and a feb 2012 gen 4 g19. They both fling a casing back at me once-twice every hundred -150 rds. like yours it is typically lobbed towards me.

You have to decide for yourself if it is problematic. I don't think you are going to get a stoppage. I've got a combined 1800-1900 rds through both g19s and have yet to get a stoppage. I don't think there is a clear correlation between erratic ejection and stoppages. At least that is my experience.

15. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Congrats on the new G19!

Try firing some heavier rounds through there, like 124 or 147 gr. Those things eject in nice little piles back to my right. The 115 gr. cases go all over the place, but none have caused any failures. It's more annoying than anything, I suppose. All of my 9X19 Glocks are Gen4, too, and most of them have the newest internal parts with the exception of my G26. I carry that one and all the test firing and shooting I've done with it didn't result in any failures. So, I'm not messing with a good thing. If the G26 has a failure later down the road, it'll probably be with the person who inherits mine after I'm gone.

16. rmw

rmw

I am amazed with the fascination over a few pieces of brass touching one's body, or (God forbid) hitting your face or top of the head. I say send it back to Glock after citing what a POS it is, and then go out and buy a revolver. But take note that hot gasses spewing from the forcing cone area are normal for a revolver, as is brass being ejected from a semi auto. As soon as someone posts pics of their eyeball hanging from their socket from ejected Glock brass, I'll shut up. Otherwise, really, if it's accurate enough, feeds reliably, spits the cases from the gun every time, be happy.:thumbsup:

17. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

I kinda thought the same thing until I saw a video of a Glock barely dumping brass out the right side back on the shooters arm almost every shot. I thought wow that is a problem that should be fixed.
    I havent had that happen to mine yet. I have two new Glocks to shoot still and am worried.

18. glockarmor

glockarmor

After thousands of rounds of, for the most part WWB through a Gen 3 17 and Gen 3 19 I have yet to have a piece of brass hit me in the face or head. I"m not calling POS but I will say it's not the norm and wouldn't be acceptable for me.. Just my .02

19. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

20. scosgt

scosgt

FWIW my department requires both shooting glasses and a baseball hat when shooting at the range for the annual requalification. We go back to 1995 with the Glock 19, and a year later with the G26. They do occasionally throw one back at your head or face. It is the nature of the beast, which is why we always wear caps when shooting.