close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New gen 3's coming w/ updated gen 4 parts?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Eagle1, Mar 22, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

Do any of you guys know if the new, current gen 3's (glock 17) are coming with the new updated internals that the gen 4's are coming with or do they still come with the standard tried and true gen 3 parts?

Basically looking at the gen3 or gen 4 g17 and need to know what to look for to know that my new gun has the updated stuff in it, whether a gen 3 or gen 4? thanks...:wavey:

2. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

The last I heard, Gen3's still come with the old ejectors(336 for 9mm, 1882 for .40).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Gen3 now with the old ejector in it, the newest Gen4 trigger housings sold by Glock have the new 30274 and 28926 ejectors in them, the part numbers for those trigger housings are 30275 and 28927. If you're an Armorer, you can order one directly from Glock. Though I've never been an Armorer so I don't know if they want the serial number of the gun you intend to install it into, they may refuse to send it to you if the serial number you give them is for a Gen3. Regardless, two retailers have been confirmed to sell the newest Gen4 trigger housings with the new ejectors in them, and it should only be a matter of time before the rest get the newest version. Then it's a simple matter to pull the new ejector out of the Gen4 trigger housing and insert that ejector into a Gen3 trigger housing to use in a Gen3 gun. I put the 28926 ejector into my Gen3 G27 and it fixed the ejection problem. Besides installing the new ejector, you may have to swap out the extractor if you still experience erratic ejection using the new ejector.

I don't think they'd ever use the dot connector in a Gen3 because it was designed to bring the trigger pull weight in a Gen4 down to ~5.5lbs, the same as a Gen3 with the standard connector.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them use the Gen4/45GAP trigger bars in Gen3's in the future, but as of yet they haven't begun to do so. There's nothing necessarily better about that trigger bar, the Gen3 trigger bars work fine.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

3. Wizz

Wizz

To my latest understanding the current/recent production (since ~late 2010) Gen3 come with the old 336 ejector BUT w/the new MIM extractors which seem to be the problem source for all the needed updates. Pre 2010 Gen3 use the same reliable parts that they were known for. I know that if you have issues then under warranty they will put the new 30274 ejector in a Gen3, but they are not doing it on the assembly line (yet at least).

It's appearing that the the new MIM extractors require the updated ejector to maintain reliable ejection after the 1-2K round mark...seems as if the MIM extractors require replacement ~2k rounds if used w/the old ejector. MIM is cheap once the mold is paid for...so I'm guessing it would be cheaper for Glock to just stamp out a re-shaped ejector instead of going back to the old extractors and giving up the extra profits that MIM provides them. Just my non professional research :)

4. MikeG36

MikeG36

My Gen 3 G19 (11.18.2012 birthday) came with a 336 ejector and dip / MIM extractor. I have had no problems with either and I'm at 2300 rounds so far.

5. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

I actually just returned from the gun store and compared the gen3 & gen4 Glock 17's. The gen3 has the 336 meaning it still has the standard gen3 parts in it, "S" serial # prefix too. I did buy the gen4 17 though and pics & post will follow. Thanks for all of your help guys..

This leads me to my next question,

Will the older style extractors from the gen3's fit in the gen4 guns if these new guns are coming with these MIM parts? I only ask because I hear they are now using MIM parts for this part? Does an MIM part mean the Glock is now starting to be produced with sub standard items???

6. kodiakpb

kodiakpb

Shoot your new 17 first, I bet you will not find any issue with it.

7. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Same here! My 3rd generation G-19(RTF2) was born on 4/26/10. I've almost hit 3,000 rounds; and so far so good. I did polish up the #2 molded extractor that came with it, though.

Yes, they will; but where are you going to buy one?

No, a MIM part is not, necessarily, 'substandard' - Just not quite as durable and, of course, less expensive to make.

8. R.T.

R.T.

I suspect MIM is becoming the standard as many manufacturers use MIM parts. I know Sig uses MIM extractors now also (and yes they have had some problems too).

9. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

I have collected parts over the years so I have a few of them. But I will not install them unless this new one breaks.

10. Maine

Maine

This thread is interesting and not in a good way. These cost cutting practices are not acceptable to me and I'm sure many others in something you buy to potentially save your life.

11. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

If you ever saw my Glock spare parts box ....... you'd probably gasp! :supergrin:

You're learning! :supergrin:

(I do, however, actually think it's coming to this. Just give the present situation a little more time.) :crying:

12. AustinTx

AustinTx

13. Eagle1

Eagle1 Oh glockaholic!

thanks guys, i am going to break her in this weekend. pics and post to follow...

14. Maine

Maine

I hear ya Arc Angel, Things are not headed in a good direction. I'd love to see the major companies go back to making quality their top priority. Instead, pride in workmanship seems to be dropping every year. Sucks.