Glock Talk banner

New Gallup poll Question reveals majority of Blacks feel they are treated fairly by Police

755 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  cowboywannabe
Of course, the polling organization does it's best to bury the lead in it's own post. Can't upset the #BLM narrative.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/184511/blacks-divided-whether-police-treat-minorities-fairly.aspx

What this poll tells me is that:

1. We police a society of schizophrenics. Check the cross tabs when they compare the percentages who believe the police treat minorities unfairly to the percentage who believe that police treat minorities fairly on the question of whether they want more police in their neighborhoods. A simple majority of Blacks who believe that minorities are treated unfairly by police want more police presence. An overwhelming majority (86%) of Blacks who believe that minorities are treated unfairly by police want either more or the same amount of police presence compared to those who think that there should be fewer of the police that they believe are treating them unfairly.

2. We don't really have a police brutality/ abuse problem in this country. If we really did, you'd see more than 8% of the population nationally thinking that there should be less police. The vast majority want either the same or more police, which means that in their own cities and neighborhoods there is not a problem. real or imagined, with police brutality. What we have is a political agenda being pushed by a very few activists, aided and abetted by a bloodthirsty national media, turning a miniscule problem and a few random incidents into a national crisis.
Reactions: janice6
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· With Liberty and Justice for all.
20,892 Posts
Will this receive any coverage in the dominant liberal establishment media?

· Registered
47,229 Posts
Sorry, there is nothing to politicize there. Rejected for better headlines. Pick a side and fight to the death without regard for the truth. That's the system.

· Registered
1,260 Posts
Sorry, there is nothing to politicize there. Rejected for better headlines. Pick a side and fight to the death without regard for the truth. That's the system.
Heh, that sounds about right!

Also, I thought the police were very respectable and respectful back in Oklahoma. However, I have had a couple occasions here in FL where I genuinely felt like the officers saw me as beneath them. So, I do think a lot of it can have to do with location. Not that I necessarily blame the officers because I know there are more troublemakers down here than there were where I'm from.

But to be 100% honest, whereas I'd happily stop and ask a police officer in Oklahoma for directions, I can't say I'd do so with the same confidence here.

· Registered
47,229 Posts
Heh, that sounds about right!

Also, I thought the police were very respectable and respectful back in Oklahoma. However, I have had a couple occasions here in FL where I genuinely felt like the officers saw me as beneath them. So, I do think a lot of it can have to do with location. Not that I necessarily blame the officers because I know there are more troublemakers down here than there were where I'm from.

But to be 100% honest, whereas I'd happily stop and ask a police officer in Oklahoma for directions, I can't say I'd do so with the same confidence here.

I have absolutely no doubt that location matters and that it matters for different reasons. But nobody really wants to hear that. They want the issue to be black and white (no pun intended).

· Registered
1,260 Posts
I have absolutely no doubt that location matters and that it matters for different reasons. But nobody really wants to hear that. They want the issue to be black and white (no pun intended).
Pun acknowledged!

Last year, shortly after the Ferguson incident, I got to spend a long evening doing ground training with somebody who used to be a Cop in Kissimmee, FL. Over the course of the conversation, he talked on how frustrating and bitter you end up getting having to deal with the same types of people all the time. And he said it gets hard trying to go into every encounter being respectful, when you know there is an 50% chance that citizen is not going to reciprocate.

So yeah, I totally get it. It is still an unfortunate circumstance, though. Not to dichotomously oversimplify the situation, but basically it comes down to this: One side feels like they are mistreated by police, and become less and less motivated to comply and show respect they feel isn't reciprocated; the other side feels like the other is being unreasonably bitter and disagreeable, and is often left with few choices but more aggressively exercising their authority in order to gain compliance.

I have my own ideas on possible solutions, but I'm sure nobody cares to smell those.

· Semper Paratus
31,451 Posts
Never underestimate the ability of a vocal minority to bring about change.

· Registered
47,229 Posts
Pun acknowledged!

Last year, shortly after the Ferguson incident, I got to spend a long evening doing ground training with somebody who used to be a Cop in Kissimmee, FL. Over the course of the conversation, he talked on how frustrating and bitter you end up getting having to deal with the same types of people all the time. And he said it gets hard trying to go into every encounter being respectful, when you know there is an 50% chance that citizen is not going to reciprocate.

So yeah, I totally get it. It is still an unfortunate circumstance, though. Not to dichotomously oversimplify the situation, but basically it comes down to this: One side feels like they are mistreated by police, and become less and less motivated to comply and show respect they feel isn't reciprocated; the other side feels like the other is being unreasonably bitter and disagreeable, and is often left with few choices but more aggressively exercising their authority in order to gain compliance.

I have my own ideas on possible solutions, but I'm sure nobody cares to smell those.
I'd care to "smell" them.

I try to never judge a book by it's cover. But when you're in a lower socioeconomic/high crime area you tend to look at people one way and when you are in a higher socioeconomic/low crime area you tend to look at people a different way. The unfortunate fact is that there are often trends regarding the races and lower socioeconomic areas vs the higher ones. I don't have a perfect answer and would not be mentally equipped to do an LE job over a long enough timeline and not end up bitter/frustrated and likely making conclusions that are not true, based on appearance, if I worked in a "bad" area.

An interesting thing happened to me a couple years ago in that I detoured around the south west side of Atlanta in a suburb. It was middle class with a TJ Max, Kohl's, Applebees, Mall, Lowe's, etc... Suddenly I noticed we were the ONLY white people I saw. I had never been in such a large middle class area that had so many black people. I've been in East St. Lous. South side of Chicago. Similar areas to those in other towns. I could, in those other places, feel my 'situational awareness' meter go up. But in that suburb of Atlanta... it was just another suburb. It became very clear to me that the socioeconomic situation of my surroundings was the primary factor regarding my feelings of safety. Not the race of the people around me. I suspect that if you interviewed 100 people who lived there about their perception of the police and compared it to 100 people the lowest income area of Atlanta, you'd get a wide margin of difference in the answers.

· Massive Member
27,282 Posts
Pun acknowledged!

This is my fear. The belief that the popo is going to mistreat you no matter what anyway, so you are going to be as uncooperative and hostile as a matter of course essentially sets up a self fulfilling prophesy.

Sandra Bland is a perfect example. She took what would have been a warning, no points, no fines, no nothing, and managed to turn it into an arrest requiring force. She might still be alive if she hadn't talked herself into the jail cell where she eventually hung herself.

It's tragic, but the bottom line is it was all of her doing. The worst the jail may or may not be liable for is not checking often enough to prevent her from killing herself by her own hand. They had no hand in causing her death whatsoever. They merely failed to prevent it. And really, nothing but constant video would have prevented it. 15 min intervals are plenty of time for her to do herself in.

Randy

· Registered
11,909 Posts
Some of the best replies to a post were found here. That was refreshingly positive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts