Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a 43x for around a year and carry it daily. Picked up a G26 a couple of weeks ago and a regular 43 to go with it yesterday. Have a use for each.

Anyway, I went to the range today and shot the new 43. I only oiled it a little and did not clean it prior to first use.

I'd load a round in the chamber, remove the mag and add a round, then insert the mag fully. The first round would fire normally and the trigger would reset, but then "click." The second round (which is the first in the mag) wasn't being fed into the chamber. It didn't get stuck or anything. The round was still in the mag like nothing happened.

I dropped the mag and pulled the slide back and verified what I said above. Then when I put the mag back in and started over, everything worked fine for the rest of the mag. This exact scenario happened probably 4-5 times for the first half of the session (60 rounds or so), then never again during the last half (another 60 rounds or so.)

The first few mags were junk Tulammo steel case, but then I switched to US Cartridge 115g TMJ and it didn't make a difference.

I'll be out again this Saturday to see if it happens again, but I'm curious what would cause this?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the mags marked -02 or -01?

Did this happen with all mags?

You could disassemble the mags and make sure the follower isn’t hanging up on anything.
Dang, I was just coming back in here to add that info, because I realize I left it out. Two different mags. They aren't numbered yet, but one has the pinky extension and the other doesn't. It happened with both mags.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Dang, I was just coming back in here to add that info, because I realize I left it out. Two different mags. They aren't numbered yet, but one has the pinky extension and the other doesn't. It happened with both mags.
The numbers are the version of the mag. Should be a -01 or -02 on them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The numbers are the version of the mag. Should be a -01 or -02 on them.
LOL. I thought you were asking if I marked them myself and... Nevermind. I’m dumb.

I think this is what you mean. They say 02.

·
Registered
7,629 Posts
Could be weak junk cartridge's recoil energy being insufficient to overcome six cartridges stacked tight in magazine; slide is stopped short of picking up the on-deck cartridge. Not only a weak charge will do that, but fat cartridges might too. Given the info you've posted, I'd suspect junk ammo with tight new gun. Load the mag and bump the base to sammich the cartridges in there correct, then oil up the rails, and blast away!

I have the pre -01 mags and the 01 mags. The only difference there is a tiny slice taken off of the edge of the mag top to facilitate the mag catch to slip by more readily. I have no experience with the 02 mags. My gun has never had any real malfunctions. Just work with it and see if it don't go away by itself.

·
NRA Life Member
5,810 Posts
Was the case from the first round being ejected after it was fired? Or did it remain in the chamber?

Reactions: Sgtthump

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, -02 mags. Those springs are tight.

I’d try with name brand ammo (if you can find it), clean and oil the gun (especially the rails).
Thank ya sir! I have better ammo and will try that on Saturday. I just cleaned/oiled it to start from scratch on the next trip.

Hope it’s just a new gun needing breaking in (even though the others didn’t need it.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be weak junk cartridge's recoil energy being insufficient to overcome six cartridges stacked tight in magazine; slide is stopped short of picking up the on-deck cartridge. Not only a weak charge will do that, but fat cartridges might too. Given the info you've posted, I'd suspect junk ammo with tight new gun. Load the mag and bump the base to sammich the cartridges in there correct, then oil up the rails, and blast away!

I have the pre -01 mags and the 01 mags. The only difference there is a tiny slice taken off of the edge of the mag top to facilitate the mag catch to slip by more readily. I have no experience with the 02 mags. My gun has never had any real mal****tions. Just work with it and see if it don't go away by itself.
thanks for the help!

·
NRA Life Member
5,810 Posts
It was ejected.
I only mention this because I have large hands and shoot with a high thumbs forward grip and I have done this before...do you think there is any chance you are rubbing the slide with your thumbs as it Cycles?

·
NRA Life Member
5,810 Posts
I don’t think I’m causing it, but you never know either. I’ll watch that too next time.
Just something else to look out for.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've owned a 43x for around a year and carry it daily. Picked up a G26 a couple of weeks ago and a regular 43 to go with it yesterday. Have a use for each.

Anyway, I went to the range today and shot the new 43. I only oiled it a little and did not clean it prior to first use.

I'd load a round in the chamber, remove the mag and add a round, then insert the mag fully. The first round would fire normally and the trigger would reset, but then "click." The second round (which is the first in the mag) wasn't being fed into the chamber. It didn't get stuck or anything. The round was still in the mag like nothing happened.

I dropped the mag and pulled the slide back and verified what I said above. Then when I put the mag back in and started over, everything worked fine for the rest of the mag. This exact scenario happened probably 4-5 times for the first half of the session (60 rounds or so), then never again during the last half (another 60 rounds or so.)

The first few mags were junk Tulammo steel case, but then I switched to US Cartridge 115g TMJ and it didn't make a difference.

I'll be out again this Saturday to see if it happens again, but I'm curious what would cause this?

Thoughts?

View attachment 943241

View attachment 943240
When magazines are new they can have stiff/strong springs. I noticed in your post that you "topped-off" your magazines.

This can put pressure on the "pick up rail" (some call it the stripper rail) slowing the slide as stated and explained by @Bradley T in post #6. Picture below courtesy of @Butch in one of his previous posts.

This happens to me when I use a new magazine with a stiff/strong spring in my G19gen2. My solution is to shoot for a while with 14 rounds in the magazine (not topped off) until the magazine self adjusts etc.

There is some good information in the above posts.

Most likely this will self adjust.

Best Regards

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Thank ya sir! I have better ammo and will try that on Saturday. I just cleaned/oiled it to start from scratch on the next trip.

Hope it’s just a new gun needing breaking in (even though the others didn’t need it.)
Also, you might try fully loading those mags and leaving 'em full to break in those springs. Another method I use to do that is load 3 snap caps (not real ammo), then press the top snap cap up and down as a few times. You can use a desk edge, or a maglula loader to do that. Then load a 4th, repeat the up/down cycle, 5th, etc... unload the mag and do it again. I use snap caps so I don't damage ammo.

Please let us know how it goes on your next range trip.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

I have the pre -01 mags and the 01 mags. The only difference there is a tiny slice taken off of the edge of the mag top to facilitate the mag catch to slip by more readily. I have no experience with the 02 mags. My gun has never had any real malfunctions. Just work with it and see if it don't go away by itself.

And the 01 mag won't fall free after it's empty

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
I disassembled my 43 mag and found there was melted plastic sticking well out through the holes on the inside metal mag liner.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts