close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 34 New G34 Gen 4 kaput after 200 rounds, almost blew up

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Will Rudy, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

This is a followup to my previous post:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/new-glock-34-gen-4-brass-to-face-help.1674388/page-2#post-24566682
    Since posting that, issues with my new G34 have included:
    * Continued weak, erratic ejection, mostly brass to face, chest and head.
    * Slide lockup on three separate occasions.
    * Slide/barrel wear starting to show indicating misalignment or canting.
    * Bullet stuck in chamber (see pic below). Almost double tapped, would have
    likely blown the barrel. Took awhile to get that bullet out. To give Glock benefit of doubt probably was a squib round so I'll lay it on the ammo.
    * Shot 200-250 rounds of Winny white box 115g FMJ and Remington 115g UMC mostly,
    along with some 124g factory ammo.
    Obviously, I did not want to sell the gun as-is with these problems even with full disclosure. Naturally, I'm disappointed but nobody's perfect, even GLOCK though they boast they are.
    Fortunately, seller got it from Davidson's Gallery of Guns, which has a lifetime warranty/full replacement policy. Hopefully the next G34 will perform as advertised: PERFECTION squib.jpg .

2. bac1023

bac1023

Wow

Sorry to hear...

3. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Please post an update once you go through Davidson's warranty process. I am aware of their replacement warranty, but have always wondered how the process really worked.

4. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

will do. my ffl is shipping the gun to Davidson's on Monday.

OBG17 likes this.
  5. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

It is unfortunate you only ascribed the stuck bullet to ammo in the body of your text as the title might lead other to believe the gun was at fault.

As far as blowing up your gun by double tapping, that would be pretty difficult given a new round would not have chambered, I have to put the lions share of your post into the hyperbole category due to your unfortunate choice of words and descriptions.

In plain speak, you are full of baloney.

6. UNIT 6639

UNIT 6639

Tuff crowd ^^^

Pranqster and n2g like this.
  7. shawn mccarver

shawn mccarver

See comments above IN ALL BOLD SOLELY to distinguish from original, NOT because I am "internet yelling."

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Will, you have an ammo problem, not a gun problem. And you can't blow up a gun by pulling the trigger on a squib. Even if it chambers, which it wouldn't have in your case, and still manages to fire, it at best, will only bulge the barrel. KaBooms are cause by bullet setback.

9. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

It's understandble that as a Glock owner you would leap to defend the brand. You choose to blame the grip (the shooter) and the ammo and not the gun. I assure you that I had a Glock armorer shoot the gun on the range yesterday and he experienced the same issues, i.e. brass to face and slide lock. This man is a master gunsmith, owns his own shop and has been shooting and training for 40 years. Sometimes -- and I know this is hard for you to admit as a Glock fan -- the gun is to blame, as in this case. Like any product, there are bound to be lemons in the batch. The proof will be in the next 34 I get. I am expecting a better gun. I have two Caniks, a EAA Tanfoglio Witness and other nines and all perform flawlessly. I use the same grip and ammo. Logic is on my side.

10. papercidal

papercidal

Not to suggest that there is not a issue with the gun but if you use that ammo in all your Guns I would consider myself lucky that you are only sending one gun back.

timmay and shawn mccarver like this.
  11. sciolist

sciolist

12. shawn mccarver

shawn mccarver

We will never know if the gun is to blame. Davidsons will replace it, send it in, and we will simply never find out. I am not doubting that a lemon can make it out every once in a while, but statistically, if you got that one, you are very unlucky indeed. The chances are exceedingly slim.

All of the problems you mention, however, can be caused by bad ammo, or bad ammo in combination with a weak or improper grip. The squib should tell you that you have an ammo problem.

Clearly, the ammo isn't powerful enough to properly clear the pistol upon ejection. Whether that is all weak ammo or whether the ammo is simply not powerful enough to overcome an improper or weak grip is unknown.

You may be gripping hard enough, but if your wrist is not directly behind the pistol, then recoil forces can force the pistol to recoil sideways in addition to back and up.

That could also cause premature slide lock as the ogive is driven to the side and as it arises into the top position in the magazine, the ogive catches on the inside of the slide release, causing it to rise even though there is still ammo in the magazine.

My vote still goes to improper grip and bad ammo. Sorry.

If, however, it makes you feel better, blame the gun.

13. Slayer

Slayer A Simple Man

I bought my Gen 4 G34 in February. I have run some of the same practice ammo in mine but mine functioned 100%. I have run some of the nastiest steel case ammo up to +P+ ammo and she still runs like a scalded dog. I hate to see your 34 having issues like it is but send it in and get a new one. I would be willing to bet money that the new 34 will be flawless. After adding a Tungsten guide rod and Surefire X300U the weight makes the pistol even more tame to shoot which is really nice. Even with really hot loads I can run it fast while staying on target. Well good luck with your next G34.

shawn mccarver likes this.
  14. mnarcher

mnarcher

I want to know how it goes here also.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

15. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Ammo problem for sure.

I have countless rounds through My 34... it's been ridiculously reliable and consistent.

16. leadslinger13

leadslinger13

Pics of slide barrel wear? All glocks have that in certain areas as well as other types of guns.
    Slide lock could be thumb hitting extended slide lock on 34. I replaced mine with standard instead of learning new grip thumb placement. The brass may be some limp wristing. I have had that happen. Went away when I locked my wrist. Squib loads are few and far between with new manufactured but they do occur. If you didn't fire another round behind that one then no foul no harm. Just tap it out and keep on slinging lead.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

shawn mccarver and MikeG36 like this.
  17. Zerodefect

Zerodefect I feel pretty.

Pretty sure that's an ammo problem. I don't see any evidence otherwise.

I've warned ya'll about shooting cheap 9mm plenty of times. But you don't listen. The weak ejection and BTF was a clue.It would be extremely rare that the barrel was out of spec, because thats a hammer forged barrel.

I'd love to see pics of the uneven wear.

Don't call us fan boys just because we know more about pistols than you do. Out of spec pistols just don't cause squibs. I've never seen that.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  18. Will Rudy

Will Rudy

Well, I used factory brass-cased ammo, no steel or aluminum. Specifically, Winchester White Box 115g FMJ (which was the squib), Remington 115g UMC and Fiocchi 124g. All have proved 100% reliable in my other nines with the exception of WWB in my Ruger SR9, wouldn't cycle well. The same ammo ran flawlessly in my Smith M&P, EAA Tanfoglio, etc.

I have two Caniks -- the TP9SA and the TP9SFX -- both of which eat ANYTHING and have been 100% reliable. I use the same grip, trigger technique, etc., on all my guns, by the way.

I respect all your opinions but keep an open mind that, however slim that the gun may be defective given the G34's good track record, that it's certainly POSSIBLE that I got a bad one. Also, check on more than one YT video that shows Glocks kicking brass to the face. For example:

When I get the new G34 I'll report on how she works.

19. M5fan

M5fan

Agreed likely ammo; however, remember the COGs for these plastic fantastics ... sub-$100. Every now and then, you will get a turd. Thems the breaks in the world of manufacturing.

vikingsoftpaw likes this.
  20. MikeG36

MikeG36

A year or two ago while at the range, I saw a guy being pelted in the face with hot brass. When his buddy fired the ejection was between 5:00 O'clock and 4:30. The only thing that changed was the shooter. By the end of the session we had the BTF guy's ejections move from 6:00 O'clock to 5:00 O'clock. It was all in the way he was holding the pistol. IMO there is a certain amount of blame that needs to be placed on Glock for the BTF issue but improper grip, and weak ammo are definitely contributing factors.

Dave T and CWPINSTR like this.