close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G30SF Range report

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ashecht, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ashecht

ashecht

Went and shot my new G30 tonite. All I can say is Wow!! I love this thing! 100 rounds of Independence and Fed ammo. Zero issues, tons of fun! Much less recoil than my 23 so much less fatiguing. 500 rounds of Blazer arriving tomorrow. Can't wait to take her out again! Nice tight groups at 10-15 yards. What a gun!! Once I get a holster and some SD ammo she is taking over the number 1 spot in my EDC rotation!!

2. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

That's good news, man--glad to hear that it worked out well for you.

Were you able to find any 9-round mags? Or are you rolling with the stock 10s?

3. RJHUB

RJHUB

Congrats. It is a sweet shooter.

4. ashecht

ashecht

It came with ten rounders and I added pearce +0 extensions that combination is perfect for my hands

5. GRT45

GRT45 Transform & Win

That's excellent news, I'm glad to read the first outing with your G30SF went well!

You make an interesting observation about the recoil characteristics. My girlfriend had a similar first impression when she shot the G30SF, which went against her preconceived notion about a .45 handgun. It had much less recoil than she feared.

Let us know what SD ammo you decide on.

I've had excellent results with Speer Gold Dot 230gr JHP in the G30SF for reliable operation.

As I read more ballistic testing information⁽¹⁾, I'm considering a change to Winchester Ranger T 230gr JHP (RA45T) for South Texas and Federal HST 230gr +P JHP (P45HST1) for travel to colder climates. They both do significantly better than Speer Gold Dot in the expansion category in bare gelatin and a simulation of heavy winter clothing over bare gelatin. Speer Gold Dot does a little better than Ranger-T and HST for the tests fired through auto windshield glass, but that is largely irrelevant for civilian SD. The Win Ranger-T suffered core jacket separation in the windshield glass test.

IMHO, any of these three JHP rounds are good choices for SD, but I strongly recommend staying with 230gr in the .45ACP ammo.

Enjoy your G30SF!

1. ATK Wound Ballistic Workshop, Butte, MT 5/27/2009 (DIALUP USERS WARNING: 8.77 MB file)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012