close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G30, the Good and the Bad

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by pitt1011, Mar 19, 2012.

1. pitt1011

pitt1011

I bought a new G30 last Friday and took it out today to put the first 100 rounds through it. I cleaned the pistol prior to going the range last night and didn't notice anything out the ordinary until I got to the range today.

The G30 came with 2 10 rounders. When I was loading 1 of the mags, I saw the metal liner of the the magazine had separated from the plastic exterior near the feed lips. The plastic had also bulged out slightly. I loaded the magazine and it looked like the rounds sat in the magazine in their normal position. I went ahead a loaded both magazines up and shot them. I ended up with 3 FTRB's out the 100 rounds I shot.

It was no suprise to me that the 3 FTRB's were with the odd looking magazine. The other magazine fed and shot fine.

I ended up picking up 100 more rounds to test my theory that the malfunctions were magazine related. I shot the next 100 rounds with the other magazine and a G21 magazine I had. All 100 rounds fed and shot as they should.

I am working on the theory the malfunctions were magazine related. I called Glock and filled them in on what happened. They said to send in the faulty magazine and they will send me a new one.

The 1st 100 rounds were Federal Champion 230 grn FMJ. The 2nd 100 rounds were Remington UMC 230 grn FMJ. I shot the Federal Champion as it was all I could get my hands on at the time. It sucks and is the only cheap ammo I normally avoid.

The good part of the day was the pistol was great. It was very accurate and the recoil was soft for me. My questions for my fellow GT'ers are:

1. Has anyone ever seen a NIB G30 magazine with the metal liner seperated from the factory and if they have, did they have associated malfunctions?

2. Does it make sense to other shooters here that the magazine is the source of my problems?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

2. tenifer17

tenifer17

YOu did good by calling Glock. I would have done the same.

3. tenifer17

tenifer17

I have used the 9rd "flush" mags in my G30 . I am not sure if this makes a difference .

4. pitt1011

pitt1011

I had to say it was a good experience. The people I spoke with were receptive and their first response was to send in the weird magazine. I was happy with their customer service this time around.

5. HKLovingIT

HKLovingIT Resident Evil

Sure sounds like a bad magazine. I wouldn't be concerned at all. I would stick a note in the shipping box and tell them to send you two for your trouble, plus a check to reimburse you for ammo expense. Maybe you'll hit the jackpot.:whistling::supergrin:

Is this a G30 or G30 SF you bought? Did you feel up both types? If so, why did you pick one over the other? Just curious.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  6. FLSlim

FLSlim

Stuff like that really irritates me, but it happens. I'm sure Glock will make it right. The G30 is a great little gun, I hope you are happy with your choice.

7. pitt1011

pitt1011

HK,

Its a plain jane G30. I handled both and went with the G30 as it fit my hands just fine. I could tell the difference between it and the SF but the SF's grip wasn't different enougth for me to go with the SF. The other reason I went with the G30 is all things being equal, I wanted to try and avoid the FTRB issues that popped up a few years ago.

I know they largely been taken care of and the possible explanations for the FTRB's are numerous as I followed that fiasco on the threads on GT. As long as it fit my hands, I went with the G30 for peace of mind. I did end up with FRTB's but a least I could easily find an explanation. Another 100-200 trouble free rounds and I've got my new carry piece.

I can't express how impressed I was with this pistol's accuracy and ease of handling.

I thought it also interesting to mention that although extraction and ejection were positive for all of the rounds, the Federal Champion rounds flew much shorter than the UMC. Federal Champion is some weak ammo.

8. vinstang67

vinstang67

I fed Federal, Winchester white box, Tulammo, Monarch,Blazer CCI, and UMC (plus Federal HS 165g), and they gave me no trouble.
    Although Blazer and Federal felt a little week, and Blazer was dirty (some black flakes on my arm).

I hope it is the magazine issue and the replacement would work.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

9. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G30.

Hope it works out for you

10. GLOCK17DB9

GLOCK17DB9

Congrats on the new G30. Kinda surprised you tried the defective magazine not surprised that Glock is taking care of it.

11. pitt1011

pitt1011

I admit its not my most logical decision as a gun owner. Prior to shooting it, I loaded it and it didn't appear to have anything functionally wrong with it until I shot it. Still, it wasn't a good idea to shoot with a piece of gear that appeared out of spec.

The wonky mag is on its way to Smyrna so we'll see what they have to say. Hopefully the issues were limited to the magazine and the pistol is good to go.

12. Edmo01

Edmo01

Good detective work on your part and sorry for your problems with your magazine. You'll find the 30 is an outstanding firearm.

I number all of my magazines as soon as I get them home. Years ago, I had a pile of various mags for my 1911 and was experiencing intermittent malfunctions. After I numbered them, it became obvious the problem was always with the same magazine. This mag still sits lonely on the shelf in my garage.

Edmo

13. pitt1011

pitt1011

Edmo01,

I agree that numbering magazines is something everyone should do. It makes sorting out malfunctions much easier.

14. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

Sounds like that magazine is indeed the problem, the metal liner shouldn't be separating from the outer plastic on a brand new magazine.

I had two brand new G23 magazines fail to feed while the rest of my magazines worked fine. It turned out there was excess plastic at the front of each feed lip, I shaved it down and both magazines work fine now. Though I've never heard of that problem existing on magazines other than .40 and .357.

15. Glock Master

Glock Master