close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G29 Leave it stock?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ILannoyed, Jan 26, 2010.

1. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

Hi guys, just re-joined the Glock family after some time off. I recently got a G29 as a fun gun to take to the range and shoot in the woods. I'll probably be shooting mostly Georgia Arms canned heat and the occasional DT gold dots, so I was thinking I'd just leave everything stock except for a heavier recoil spring assy. when shooting the DT's. Good Plan? Should I bother with a drop in barrel from KKM or LWD? Thanks for the input.

2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Congrats,....... :welcome: back!

I say leave it be, other than a smooth trigger and a "-" Glock connector.
    Sights are also a possibility.

3. Alliance50

Alliance50

hello
    I don't have a g29 yet but I do have a g20. I say leave it stock!

I have 1124 rds of 165 Gr Georgia arms down range and I just finished sending down range DT 165,180 and the 1600 FPS 135's for a total rd count of the three combined 450 rds.

My gun is all stock other than n/s's I put on.

Everyone always said if you are going to shoot DT get a heavier recoil spring I say bull.

You do not need to change anything, my brass don't fly into outer space when I shoot fully loaded DT's or anything like that.
    As a matter a fact one of my renters I go shooting with is going to go back to the stock recoil in his 10mm. His with the heavier spring recoiled more then mine with the stock recoil spring.

I don't know if any one else has ever noticed but I believe heavier Recoil spring spells more recoil to shooter.

The G20 and G29 was designed to handle fully loaded 10mm rds!:wavey:

OH Ya I agree put a smooth trigger on it if the target trigger it comes with bugs you. I know on my g30 the smooth trigger was on that in short order for me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  4. kennjen

kennjen

ah oh...here we go with the "glock is perfect as is" and "do what you want" argument...

I'm in the do what you want camp. It's fun to tinker. For G29, the .40 conversion barrel seems to be essential, if you are going to practice a lot !

5. Alliance50

Alliance50

Glock is far from perfect as is any gun. And the op's thread really doesn't ask that. Question is can or should he leave his gun stock?
    I say there is no reason he can not. Tinkering is fine if thats what you want to do Want is the key word. Need is not.
    If you pay 5or 600.00 good hard earned money for a gun you should not need to do anything to it in order to shoot it.
    Perfection is a word that perfected glocks advertising!!!:rofl:

Oh And as far as getting a 40 Cal barrel I thought about that but if you already have a gun chambered in 40 why not shoot it, if not get a 40 barrel two guns in one then get a357 barrel three guns in one. The G29 shoot what it was intended for? If I want to shoot more I'll shoot my 40 Cals you buy a 10mm gun shoot it!

6. kennjen

kennjen

Um...OK... But, I didn't say it was perfect and I answered his question by saying perhaps a .40 conversion barrel... Thought he was asking a generic question.

I know I'm a complete noob, but didn't think I said any thing out of line.

:crying:"Wahhhhhhhh... MOM...Alliance50 hurt me "

7. Alliance50

Alliance50

No you did not say anything out of line I sure didn't mean to make my reply suggest that.
    You just started the reply with Oh here we go again with the {Perfect as is thing} And I though you were kinda thinking some one already implied that.
    I just get kind of tired of every one thinking they always NEED to change something on a gun when they don't. Just like everyone said to me if you don't put a heavier spring in the G20 your brass will fly 50 ft away and you'll damage the gun shooting DT ammo and on and on. It's stupid I've picked up every one of DT rds from my G20 and they no further away and my gun is perfect shape. oops! there's that damn perfect word again!:rofl::supergrin:

8. perkins3120

perkins3120

9. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

some sights and ammo, ammo ammo!

10. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

A KKM barrel might not hurt the gun, bit it would be a waste of money that didn't help either. A LWD barrel would be a downgrade for sure.

Honestly, I can't believe how many people fail to realize how well the quality of Glock barrels compares to anything else you can get. Glock barrels are the best.

11. Graves

Graves Diesel Junky

Sights - about as far as I take any Glock.

12. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

The only thing I worry about is case support, but the Glock barrel should be fine from what I've read.

I'll probably just leave it as is. Thanks for the suggestions.

13. coverdog

coverdog Platinum Member

I have been shooting mine stock for several years with all types of loads. I feel no need to change anything. My glock barrel is fine and accurate with zero bulging of brass with the hottest loads. Only reason I see to change barrel is for for worry free shooting of lead loads.

14. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

Excellent. I guess I was just looking for some sort of validation. Can't wait to just shoot the thing!:supergrin:

15. kawabike

kawabike

If you think shooting DT ammo with a heavier recoil spring is bull think again. Go out and shoot about 200 rnds of DT 200 gr ammo and tell me how many times your G29 will jam. What will happen is after about 100 rnds of this ammo the stock recoil spring will allow too many FTE's. I know from experience because i wont carry a gun unless i know it is 100% relaible. Now after switching to a 23lb recoil spring i've fired over 1600 rnds without a jam. Does that clarify some things up.

16. G-30Jet

G-30Jet

Fun will have a new meaning from now on. I would shoot it alot before modifying it in any way. Congrats!

17. ILannoyed

ILannoyed

I was considering using the 21# Wolff spring assembly for the DT 165, 185, and 200 grain projectiles.

18. DEADLYACCURATE

DEADLYACCURATE Senior Member

yup :popcorn:

19. Brian Lee

Brian Lee Drop those nuts

10MM cases are much more solid (internally) in the back end than .40 caliber cases are and so 10MM doesn't really need any more support than the stock barrel already has. But it's true that some .40 cases are thinner internally (near the rim) and that's why experimenting with evil-hot .40 caliber hand loads can be a little safer with more support. If you don't push your luck with out-of-spec pressures in .40 cal loads, I don't think the extra support is needed even for a .40.

The difference in diameter between Glock chambers and the aftermarket barrels is pretty small. The Glock 10MM (and .40) chambers are only about .004" bigger in diameter. That's not enough to convince me that a Glock chamber is going to stretch the brass and abuse it noticeably more than any other barrel does.

20. kawabike

kawabike

For the most part a 21# wolff spring would definately work great for 185 grain projectiles. Not sure how well it would work with 200 grain projectiles. I took the advice of Mike McNett of double tap ammo when i got my 23# wolff spring.