close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G27 Recoil Spring Assy failure first time out

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by citizen_q, Jan 15, 2010.

1. citizen_q

citizen_q

I finally had a chance to shoot my brand new G27 last weekend. This is not my first Glock, and like all my firearms I gave it a cleaning, lube and inspection before taking it out. Just before finishing my first 100 rounds through it, I had a failure to return to battery.

It was pretty cold outside, about 27 degrees, the slide was felt stiff but with a push on the slide it returned to battery. It was my first issue with any of my Glocks, and at first I wondered if it was just the cold. I fired it once more, and had the same problem, so I stopped shooting.

At home I field stripped it and found that the large spring in the Recoil Spring Assembly had jumped the lip as the rear of the assembly. I was able to snap it back into position with the help of a needle nosed pliers without visibly damaging anything and it looks ok and seems to function ok after assembly. I have dry fired it several times.

I have been reading this forum for quite awhile, have done some searches, and not heard this being discussed, so I assume it is unusual.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? Are there reliability issues with this type of Recoil Spring Assembly? I have heard that all the Generation 4 Glocks will have this type Recoil Spring Assembly, and this has me thinking that I should wait a good long time to get a Gen 4 and see if others have problems.

Would anyone every trust this failed spring to use again? I have already ordered, received and installed a new one from MidwayUSA, because I would like to shoot it again this weekend and I don't trust the one that had failed.

BTW, these aren't as cheap as the other style recoil springs, do you think Glock will send me a replacement?

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Had you called Glock they probably would've just sent one out to you for free.

I've heard of it happening, but it's pretty rare. Most of the problems with these were the earlier ones that had plastic resting against the barrel lug, the newer ones have metal resting against the barrel lug.

There's one guy here, I think his name is sigcalcatrant, who's experienced what you're describing. I'll see if I can find some of his posts about it.

And to answer your question, I wouldn't trust the one that did that, but would have no problem trying a new one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010

3. Ryobi

Ryobi SummertimeRules

Without a more specific description, it sounds as if the assembly did exactly what it's supposed to.

4. G33

G33 Frisky! CLM Millennium Member

Few years back there was a run of babies with rods that broke.
    :supergrin:

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Here's one thread with baby Glock recoil assembly issues, I'll edit this and add more if I find more:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147622 (notice the last picture in post#10)
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14004003
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13717283
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13684393

Ok I'm done. From what I've gathered so far, these assemblies (the new one with metal guide rod base) have an occasional dud and all you have to do is replace them with a new one. I'd probably call Glock, tell them what happened, and ask for a new one just so I'd have a spare since you've already installed a new one.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. awoodpd13

awoodpd13

Same thing happened with my wife's G27. I went to field strip it, and was unable to move the slide fully to the rear when clearing the chamber.

I too, attempted to correct the problem with needle-nosed pliers, and it appeared to work. Upon re-assembly of the gun however, the coil popped out of place again.

I am a armorer and had an extra recoil-spring on hand. I replaced the defective one with the spare, and we've had nofurther problems.

At GSSF in Oct. 09, I told the GLOCK staff armorer about the incident. He shrugged and gave me another spring to replace my spare.

You are the only other person I've heard of this happening to...

7. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Happened to me w/a G26. Glock sent me a new GR. Good for them!! Now go out and buy a Wolff uncaptured GR and use the springs from the broken one.

8. citizen_q

citizen_q

Wow, thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Voyager, your search-fu powers are much better than mine. The failure in the first link you provided is exactly what happened.

I will contact Glock and see if they will send a replacement for me to keep as a spare.

Duck, what are the advantages of the Wolf uncaptured GR?

9. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    Duck, what are the advantages of the Wolf uncaptured GR?

It won't break.

10. citizen_q

citizen_q

fair enough, thanks

11. burthouse

burthouse

for any sub compact I own I would buy an aftermarket wolf guide rod esp if a self defense firearm.

12. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

It happened with my first 26 as well but not with my 2nd 26 or my 27 because I installed the Wolff system prior to shooting them. I prefer the 18# spring set.
    Absolutely. :thumbsup:

13. olympicmotors

olympicmotors

Same thing happened to me with my 27 a few months ago. I contacted Glock and the sent me a new assembly no problem. I now run an aftermarket uncaptured guide rod assebly with an 18 lb spring however, and have had no more problems.

14. jk659

jk659

Couple of questions. I have a G27 and have been thinking about replacing it with a uncaptured GR. What is the stock spring weight of a G27 factory spring? Also if your is not yet broke, how does it disassemble?

15. BarneyB

BarneyB

I encountered the same problem. First trip to the range, after 100 rounds my G-27 went out of battery. The larger spring slipped over the lip. I called Glock and they sent me a new one. I have had zero problems since. I suspect this was just a faulty recoil spring assembly. I don't believe this is an isolated problem though. I've read way too many reports of the same thing happening to other people, particularly with the baby glocks. Glock has an outstanding customer service and they try to make things right. I don't understand why they potentially open themselves to liability, knowing that this is a problem. They need to put in a sturdier recoil spring assembly in their guns. What if this were to happen to an LE office in the line of duty. There are is no perfect pistol. I can undertand why many people opt for the aftermarket Recoil Spring assemblies.

16. BarneyB

BarneyB

IThe stock spring for 27 is 16 lbs.

17. zukyota

zukyota

I asked if I needed a metal guide rod on here & was told it was a waste of money. I'm confused, should I get one for my 30 sf & 27 or is it a waste of $ ?

18. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I have the Wolff setup because my first 26 recoil spring assembly came apart and caused a couple of failures to return to battery before I figured the problem out. That was at 800 rounds of use very early in 2000. And this many years later others are having the same problem. All three of my baby Glocks have the Wolff non captive springs at 18#s and my 36 has the 19#s springs. My first 26 passed 13000 rounds a couple of years back and the Wolff non captive spring set has never hiccuped.

19. zukyota

zukyota

so which spring rates should i get for my 27 & for my 30 sf ?

20. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

I use 18 pounds on the G27. I suggest 17 pounds for the 30. Talk to the people at Wolff about it. The G30 has a 15.6 oz slide so it doesn't need heavy springs.