New G26 and sighting question.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Tarowah, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Tarowah

Tarowah

Hello Glock talkers, this week I sold my G30SF and picked up a G26 because my G19 was just too large for my wife to carry as her EDC, she handled a G26 and liked it so I figured I would just take over my G19 as my EDC and part with the G30SF, yes I know I shouldnt have sold it and saved for the G26 but my wife has been out of work for 3 months so I had to make a hard choice and the G19 won for many reasons which would take another thread to explain, anyways here is the deal.

When I shoot the G19 I cover the target with the sights aligned like so

(Image stolen from Butch, thank you Butch)
    [​IMG]

I end up with the following (50 rounds 7 yards, triangle taped to the head of a B27 target)

[​IMG]

Now when my wife and I shoot the G26 we both have to slign the sights like the following to hit what we are aiming at, my guess is I need a shorter rear sight? It has the - on the side of it like my G19 does.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad MS paint job, an artist I am not.

I do not think it is our shooting because we both had to make the same adjustments in order to hit point of aim, any suggestions?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  2. Hairy

Hairy

Trigger pull, anticipation......first sight picture seems low

3. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

What is your point of aim?

See the attached picture......I put the sights where I'd call it 'a six o'clock hold on the bottom of the tape'.....point of aim would be the bottom of the tape. Is this how you did it? Or were you trying to put your point of aim at six o'clock on the bottom of the black triangle formed by the tape? Or somewhere else?

Or were you trying to hold the front sight elevated like as shown in your 'paint' alteration? If so, which point of aim were you using?

Like Hairy said, trigger control is the most likely 'suspect'. Have you by chance read my blog article on trigger control? If not....please do.

Attached Files:

4. Tarowah

Tarowah

If I align the sights on the G26 like I do in the top sight pic my shots are WAY low, if I align the sights like the second sight pic than I hit point of aim.

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

That tells me that either your trigger control is lacking, or there's something very wrong with the gun....and it's highly unlikely that it's the gun. Yes, even though you shoot the G19 OK, I would seriously have you check out your trigger control prior to altering the guns sights.....you'd have to have a very tall rear sight to make it change as much as would be needed anyway.

Got dummy rounds?

6. glockkramer

glockkramer

Please don't laugh at this or treat my harshly for asking- Do you think the shorter sight radius has anything to do with it?

7. bentbiker

bentbiker

If you are shooting low, you would need a taller rear sight, not shorter, to correct it.

8. ArtCrafter

ArtCrafter ¤Hocker Mocker¤

Trigger Control "Problem" (NOT!)

I disagree with the contention that you have a problem with trigger control. The majority of your shots (approx. 40 out of 50) form what is called a group. It might be a bit large (arguably, it is not), but it is still a group.

If you do have a "problem" with trigger control, then IMO it is inconsequential. The G19 and G26 are not target pistols, and in terms of group size, your results with them seem sufficient for the arms' primary purpose.

Now, onto your questions.

G19 (Pic)

Your photograph suggests you need a small adjustment of the rear sight to the right. Doing this would bring the group a bit to the right, or better centered on the bottom leg of the triangle formed by the tape.

Of course, this assumes that is where you want your group to move. Frankly, it isn't that far off right where it is.

G26 (Modified Sketch...of Original by Butch)

Your sketch implies you need a significantly lower rear sight blade.

Think of it this way: Your sketch shows you are presently holding the rear sight low to achieve "center" hits. This is equivalent to shooting at long range and is the same as pointing the gun high (i.e., raising the barrel - and the front sight - skyward).

In order to "point" the gun lower and achieve the same result - with both the front and rear sights held on target - you have to "lower" the rear sight (i.e., install a lower rear sight blade). You can also achieve it by "raising" the front sight (i.e., installing a higher front sight blade). In fact, you might have to do both to bring the POA and POI together.

Since you already have a "-" factory rear sight, it further appears you may need an aftermarket solution (a higher factory front sight might not be enough - or may not even exist?).

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

9. Tarowah

Tarowah

I will give the trigger control a look then, I can pretty much rip a hole in a target like the one listed above up to 25 yards with the G30SF I had and the G19, I cant understand why I am having trouble with the G26.

10. smitret

smitret

Answer to G26 portion is opposite of your answer.
    Raising POI requires taller rear sight.

11. ArtCrafter

This statement seems to contradict your modified sketch (of the original by Butch).

However, if true, and if you wish to use the sight picture shown in Butch's original sketch, then you need a higher rear sight.

The basic rule is this: Move the rear sight in the same direction you want your group to move.

Simple, eh?

12. ArtCrafter

What's "opposite" is trying to figure out what the OP is trying to say.

Thanks for the tip, though. :thumbsup:

13. ChillerDr

ChillerDr NRA Member

I agree with Butch. Both shooters may be doing the same thing with regard to trigger control.

14. ArtCrafter

If I were you, I would probably toss that "second sight pic" in the hopper.

Just a suggestion... :cool:

15. Patrick R

Patrick R

Did you sand bag rest this gun? This is how you check your sights out.

Don't let your hand rest on the sand bags. Only gun.

Sand bag at 21 feet & get back to us.

16. ArtCrafter

Many would say just the opposite: Rest your hands/wrists on the bags, but not the gun.

What is fairly certain is that a gun rested against a firm object will tend to shoot away from it. Furthermore, this tendency increases with recoil impulse (I = m x v).

In the case of a pistol rested atop a well-stuffed, firm sandbag - with hands "floating" and not in contact with bench or bag - the POI would likely be artificially high.

17. table

table

i have a 26 with stock nite sites and it does the same thing. talked to an armorer at the las vegas gssf comp last month and he offered to replace the rear with an adjustable but i'd be giving up my nite sites. i just adapted.

18. 11bdad

11bdad 11bdad

Easy way to remember sight adjustment is FOBS (Front Opposite Back Same). Have someone at the range shoot it from a rest. I'm not convinced you have a sight problem. Maybe a little more hold over and trigger control would cure it.

19. Vindikacione

Vindikacione

Just wondering, but is 7 yards the typical distance expected to "zero" a G26? I'd like to think its a little further than that, but given the sight radius and a factory load it might not make that much of a difference in terms of raising your POI.

Regardless, have you checked your POI with sight picture #1 at 10, 15, 20, and 25 yards?

Also, is using a taped triangle the best method to achieve a group? I'd suggest a simple Winchester Orange Dot they sell at Walmart. You can stick it to the target and have a more precise POA.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  20. Tarowah

Tarowah

Ok let me take the time to thank everyone for taking their time to look at my question and give their input, I now have many options to explore and play with to get to the bottom of my issue.

Allow me to clear up a few things, I thought my OP was fairly clear but it seems I may not have been as clear as I could.

I can shoot my G19 at 5, 7, 15 and 25 yards and tear a baseball sized hole in the target, my sight picture is like Butch's but I cover what I want to hit with the front sight rather than look for the hits to be above the top of the front sight.

The picture of my target with the triangle taped to it was not a reflection of anything other than to show that I can hit what I am aiming at, it wasnt to check for group or to do any other form of testing, it was to show that I can in fact put 50 rounds point of aim with a Glock 19, yes it was a hair low to the left but that is all trigger control and the fact that is was 32* inside the range with a 30 mph wind blowing down the back of my neck I.E. cold as heck.

When I use the same shooting practice with the brand new G26, same grip (other than the tucked pinky finger) same sight picture, same range, same ammo, same target and my gun pointed at the center of the red X ring on a B27 target all of my shots hit in the 8 ring rather than the X.

When I adjust the sight picture on the G26 with the white dot on the front sight being above the rear sight I can once again shoot a baseball sized hole in the X ring of a target.

I hope that clears things up a touch, and once again I do appreciate everyone taking the time to give me your thoughts and opinions.

I plan on dong the following to get started.

1. double check my grip. (same sight picture as when shooting the G19)

2. double check trigger control. (same sight picture as when shooting the G19)

3. Start shooting at 3 yards and moving out to 5, then 7 then 15 to see if any of the above worked. (same sight picture as when shooting the G19)

If I cant fix the POI issues I will adjust the sight picture and repeat the above three steps.

If that fails to put me at ease I will check into some aftermarket adjustable sights and see if that works for us.