New G23 / first time owner

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers' started by ScrappyDoo, Jan 20, 2010.

1. ScrappyDoo

ScrappyDoo Tacticool brah!

Hi all,

I am a new G23 owner and am investigating the possibilities I have for upgrade. The 3rd Generation comes with the "accessory rail" which I guess is good for installing a light? But I can't see myself installing a light.

I would like to consider "night sights" and / or a "guide rod laser"

Can anyone offer me some wisdow? Pros/cons - difficulty, what I what to buy versus don't want to, and how much installation would cost in addition to the product? Thanks... I am a rook and most members of this site have been nothing but super informative and kind.

Thanks again,

Scrap

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. jerryrigger

jerryrigger

Hey Scrap,

You've probably heard this before but welcome to GT...If you're looking for info about anything Glock-related, this is bar none the place to be.

I'm a G23 owner as well, and you picked a great Glock as your first. My G23 is my second Glock, I started out with a G30SF and have had nothing but positive experiences with Glocks in my time owning and shooting them. In fact, never had a failure with either of them (knock on wood).

As for your situation, the first (and possibly only) upgrade that I would recommend would be to swap out the stock sights. They're not very precise for range work (though totally usable) and I am just not a fan of the white outline on the rear sight notch. After I fairly long search, I recently bought a set of Ameriglo Pro Series Operators, and couldn't be happier. They do, however, have a wide rear notch, which may or may not be what you're looking for depending on your eyes-for me, that was a huge plus. I also like that they don't have white outlines around the tritium globes in the rear sight, so my focus is on the front sight a little more naturally in daylight. I chose a green front sight with yellow rears so that in low light situations I can rapidly distinguish between front and rear and get my focus on the front sight a little quicker.

The truth is, though, your choice in accessories/modifications/"upgrades" will depend entirely on what you wish to use the pistol for. Because it's a G23, I'm guessing it's probably an all around home defense/possible carry and range gun. I feel that tritium 3 dot night sights are the best all around sight for these purposes, which are mine as well. I chose the sights I did so that I can shoot IPSC production class competitions or the like effectively with this pistol as well if I feel like it. Some people prefer a slightly narrower notch on the rear sight for defensive applications, so you might consider that as well if those are your main purposes. Some people with aging or weaker eyesight like XS Big Dot sights, and from what I have seen and heard they are more than enough for defensive applications and ranges, though I think they might suffer a little in the competitive areas. If you plan to compete, you may consider a fiber optic sight, but they only work with supplemental light, so I think they fall short in the defensive category.

As far as lights and lasers etc. go, I mount an Insight M3x on the pistol's rail at home at night. I don't carry it that way because my holster doesn't allow the light, but there are holsters made that will accept it if you feel the need to carry like that. I just pocket the insight when I am carrying, that was I have a functional handheld flashlight that I could put on the weapon quickly if I really needed to for some reason. On the other hand, many people feel that a weapon mounted light is unnecessary, and it certainly is-but it is a luxury that your pistol will allow, so you can take advantage of it if you like it. Those that don't will likely use a handheld flashlight in place of the weapon mounted light, as it can do all the same things and you don't have to point your gun where you are shining the beam, which could certainly be useful if you have kids around and go to check out the infamous "bump in the night."

I don't use a laser, but that doesn't mean that you wouldn't like one or benefit from one (hell, it doesn't necessarily mean that I wouldn't either!). I haven't gone that route because I feel I can aim and shoot fine with iron sights, and I feel that the lasers can be a little pricey. I'd check with people who have tried the guide rod versions first as well, because the reliability of the pistol should always be a top priority, and I wouldn't want to sacrifice that for a laser, especially when you could go another route to get a laser, such as one mounted on the grip, or one incorporated into a rail mounted light. Check out Lasermax for both options (I believe) and Crimson Trace for the grip mounted ones. All the standard light manufacturers (Insight, Surefire, Streamlight, and so on) offer models of their lights with lasers. If you're really into this idea and totally sold on it, you might check out Viridian lasers and laser/light combos as well, but they are a little more pricey.

As you will hear on here time and again, though, practice makes perfect. Buying extra ammo and magazines and then spending time shooting your Glock will really be what makes you a good shooter. That said, accessorizing it can be a hell of a lot of fun! Do it in steps, though, so you don't break the bank on products you don't need. I would get the night sights first (and possibly a light if you are using it for home defense) and then shoot it. A lot. Then you can move from there with a better understanding of what you want/need on your pistol.

3. RayB

RayB Retired Member

1) For the night sights, you have a lot to pick from! I favor the AmeriGlo Operator sights with green (front) and yellow (rear) lamps! But that's me.

For the guide rod laser, there's only one--LaserMax! Judy and I have LaserMax guide rod lasers in her G19 and my G21, and we are very pleased with both! The lasers have proved to be dependable, durable, accurate, and the battery life is great!

2) If you have a gun shop, check with them and see what they have for sights--including installation. That aside, if you have any mechanical savvy, you can install your own sights; and (if you can read and pay attention to detail) the LaserMax installation is a snap!

3) My shop has never charged me for help with installation of new sights, but a fair fee would be $25.00, or NC with a sight purchase.

Again, if you have any mechanical savvy, we can walk you through the sight install.

--Ray

4. ScrappyDoo

Both Jerry and Ray thank you very much! Those Ameriglo's are exactly what I was looking for I think that's what I'll wind up getting.

As for the laser and the light, I'm thinking I get the night sights first and see about a laser and or light after. Definitely going to do some research based on your info provided.

Thanks again this is such a resource here. You guys rock.

5. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

The ameriglo operator's(and regular) are great sights as are Trijicons
    Buy them from a local shop and many times install is free to $30
    G23:wavey:
    skip the laser and get mags,holster And belt,and/or ammo

6. ScrappyDoo

Question about the Lasermax...

2 questions actually:

1) Is it really THAT simple to install?

and almost more importantly

2) Will I sacrifice ANY performance / quality / durability / recoil / etc. by installing?

THANKS.

I am becoming more interested in it.

And it seems everyone says get the Ameriglo Pro Operator night sights... just making sure that's the consensus ? Thanks!

7. ScrappyDoo

8. jerryrigger

jerryrigger

The Ameriglos will do you well, although so will many others. I'd go with the Ameriglos though. As far as the lasermax, I just don't believe that a guide rod laser is the right way to go. Maybe it's reliable etc, but if it were me, I'd put it outside the gun (i.e. Crimson Trace grips) rather than on a working internal part. Just my $.02.

9. ScrappyDoo

Thanks Jerry!

I just put a bid on some Trijicon green and yellows, I like the way they look and appear... We'll see what happens... as for the Lasermax, I am starting to agree, it seems like more of a luxury / novelty... I kind of admit I want it but maybe better off spending the $300 on ammo and mags

10. ScrappyDoo

Any feedback on the trijicon's ? I liked the fact they had the white circles around them, I liked the whole yellow and green dual two-tone color scheme, and frankly once I read about the Biblical verses I had to have them.

11. MSBullock

MSBullock

Hey guys,
    I just got a Glock 23 too. Love it so far, thanks for all the great info.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  12. ScrappyDoo

13. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

I like night sights and have used both Meprolites and Trijicon, about equal.
    Cost is around $85 in my area and the store put mine on for free.

14. beancounter81

beancounter81

Another vote for Ameriglo Pro Operators in green/yellow.

15. JCROWNII

JCROWNII

I also have the same question. I am considering a Lasermax as well.