New G23 extraction issues (3rd gen)

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by frank_drebin, Feb 4, 2010.

1. frank_drebin

frank_drebin 1-man flash mob

I took my new Glock 23 to the range this afternoon along with my Kahr PM40. I shot 100 rounds through the PM40 without incident the tried my G23. The G23 failed to extract 25% of the time with 3 different brands of ammo. The spent casing would be pulled out about 1/2 way each time. I concentrated on limp wristing and it was not an issue. The fact that my tiny PM40 cycled the same ammo 100% adds to my belief that this was most likely not shooter error. I also shot my Steyr M40 and my brothers 2nd gen G23 and had no problems with them either. A cursory look at the extractor yielded nothing that would concern me. The barrel is clean and the chamber was smooth as well.

Any ideas what to look for? This was my 1st trip since buying this particular G23.

Thanks in advance

2. Chuckc

Chuckc

I am still sorting out some intermittent failures to extract/eject on my G23. It is a 3rd gen with about 350-400 rounds through it. Thought I had it solved after a real good cleaning of extractor and a drop of break free on the extractor pivot point, but had one failure in about 100 rounds last time out. So far I have had 3 failures in all my shooting with it. I am using "2" mags with #8 followers. I may have narrowed mine down to a single mag, but only time will tell.
    Sorry I can't be of help to you.
    Good luck.

3. frank_drebin

Oh well, I guess I'll just call Glock. Thanks anyway. Apparently I'm the only one with extraction issues on their Glock.

4. jack76590

jack76590

Quote from OP, "...The spent casing would be pulled out about 1/2 way each time...."

I found this interesting, as most problems with the 40 glocks are attributed to too FAST of a slide velocity. Now I suppose it is possible that the extractor pull the expended case all the way to the rear, it did not ejection and was reinserted about half way in the chamber. I can see this happening once maybe every dozen rounds, but not the majority of time.

It seems you have too little power to extract fully, which again is not the problem with most G23, just the opposite is the case.

5. Zertek

Zertek

6. frank_drebin

Well, it looks like the extractor is jumping the rim when cycling.

7. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I've been CC'ing my G23 for several months and I have no issues with it.

8. frank_drebin

I'm sorry, but how does that help?

9. frank_drebin

I just field stripped the G23 and took a look at the extractor. One thing I noticed is that I can move the extractor with my finger whereas my other .40's from different manufacturers are very stiff and not nearly as easy to move.

10. jack76590

jack76590

I took your original post to mean the extractor was engaging the rim of the fired case. Now if extractor is NOT engaging rim of fired case, this makes more sense.

Potential here is bad or chipped extractor. I would examine extractor. But most likely is something to do with tension on extractor. The spring is weak, the plunger is in backwards, wrong bearing, no bearing.

Or it could be crud, esp crud around extractor. And sometimes crud can come with new gun. So I would remove extractor and clean well. Be sure to clean extractor hole in slide. I find non chlorinated brake cleaner good for this type of cleaning.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  11. jack76590

jack76590

When you depress firing pin safety extractor will often drop right out after you have removed spring and depressor plunger.

12. frank_drebin

Just took the extractor out. Got any close-up pictures of the extractor face? I'd like to compare to mine. I'm searching now.

13. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

I noticed you said your extractor moves easily-both the extractors on my G23 and G22 ARE STOUT
    A weakly sprung extractor could easily lose the rim during extraction

Here is a well performing extractor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. durf

durf

The extractor on my G23 broke.

15. frank_drebin

Great shots of the hook on the extractor Steel Head, very much appreciated. Looking at yours, mine seems to mirror them. No signs of chipping or wear. I removed the extractor and all associated parts. They all look to be in fine condition as well.

Mine is tight, it isn't as tight as my other brands but I can move it outward to the stop with just my finger. I can't budge my Steyr when I try that.

I may just need to shoot a few hundred rounds through it and get it broken in.

Thanks again for taking the time to take those pics. Your time and effort to help a complete stranger are very much appreciated.

16. Steel Head

Steel Head Tactical Cat

No prob:wavey:

If you or a buddy have another similar Glock-try swapiing the extractor rod/spring/spring loaded bearing assemly
    Still sounds like a weak extractor
    Got pics of the suspect case rims?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  17. jack76590

jack76590

Good suggestion. I am betting weak spring.

PS this guy has decent prices on parts, is reliable and could probably give you some advice. Plus he has real cheap postage on small orders. I think you may have an under $10 fix. Not worth the money or hassle to send back to glock.

http://glockparts.com/

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  18. frank_drebin

Thanks jack, I'm going to give Glock a call this morning and see if they'll send me a new extractor and spring. Luckily I'm only about 20 miles from them so I could take it over there if I wanted to. I think I'll also run by Eds this morning and compare it to one of their new ones.

19. cbsaf

cbsaf

Could the factory have messed up and put a 9mm extractor in it? They are very close in dimensions. I am not sure if that would cause it or not.

What color bearing do you have behind the extractor spring? It should be a low shoulder white bearing.

20. frank_drebin

cbsaf, that's a great point about the extractor. I'll compare the two when I get the new one. The bearing is white. I really need another one next to me to compare it to. (Wish my G33 was still here) :(