close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G21SF owner

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Sprocket TDI, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Sprocket TDI

Sprocket TDI

Happy new year! I'm new to pistols (30 days) and just purchased a slightly used (owner had it for about a month) G21 SF. I'm hoping to shoot it later this week. I'm having a tough time with the slide lever lock and will be ordering an extended one shortly once I decide where to get it from. Suggestions? I also had a 3.5# connector installed.

I've got a lot to learn about pistols in general, but am reading this forum & the XD Talk to get more familiar with my recent purchases. I also plan on taking a CCW class even though I don't intend on carrying anytime soon. Any recommendations on other courses or suggestions in general would be most appreciated.

Looking forward to learning as much as I can and making some new friends along the way! :cheers:

2. Sprocket TDI

Sprocket TDI

I'm bumping this because I posted this on the 1st and it took 4 days for a mod to approve the thread before being posted and I don't think most people ever saw it. It ended up shuffled back in the forum on the first.

So, hi again! :wavey:

3. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

4. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

Welcome to the forum. You mentioned you are having a problem with the slide lever lock (?). The "slide lock" is the small lever that you press down while pulling the slide back about 1/10" then forward to remove the slide.

The slide stop lever is the one that locks the slide back as when you fire the last round in a magazine, or use it to lock the slide back. It can be confusing. There are lots of good folks on this site who could probably help. I recently took the Glock Armorers Course and I learned a lot. What is your 21SF doing? I have one and love it, great pistol and fun to shoot.

You should also consider taking the NRA Basic Pistol Course from a certified NRA Instructor, if you haven't had formal pistol training.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  5. G26S239

G26S239 NRA Patron

:welcome: and congrats on your new pistol.

6. Sprocket TDI

Sprocket TDI

It's the slide stop lever that I'm referring to. I just have a hard time releasing it by hand when the magazine is out. I've seen a couple of different places that sell them. Just wondering if it's best to go with the extended one by Glock or an aftermarket one.

7. xrmattaz

xrmattaz

First, welcome to Glocktalk, and congrats on your G21SF, I have one too.

And, I don't like to release the slide on an empty chamber, I ease it down by hand.

8. Sprocket TDI

Sprocket TDI

I misspoke. The issue is when there is an empty magazine in the pistol and I pull the slide back, the slide stop lever automatically holds the slide back. I know if I remove the magazine and then pull back on the slide the lever will disengage and the slide will move forward.

My issue is trying to release the slide when there is an empty magazine in the pistol. I just can't seem to do it with my thumb on the lever. I think that the extended lever would be easier for me to use.

What is the proper way to release the slide so it goes back into place without having to remove the magazine?

9. mtnglocker

mtnglocker

Sorry, I thought the lever was malfunctioning. Either Glock's or a quality aftermarket extended lever should be fine. With an empty magazine in or out, I like to use my weak/off hand to move the slide slightly back, then release the slide stop with my strong hand thumb, and let the slide come forward easily.

10. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Welcome to the forum.