close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G21, my first .45 Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by AZGlock13, Aug 18, 2003.

1. AZGlock13

AZGlock13

Well, I did it. I'm an owner of a new G21.:cool: I found a great deal on a NIB 3rd gen G21 (FHB###).;a

Here's the story:

I was going to wait until the next gun show (late September) in Tucson, AZ and pick one up from Glockmeister then. Luckily I decided to check out some of the gun shops up in Tucson this weekend. Normally, the gun stores down where I live (70 miles SE of Tucson) and Tucson itself have NIB G21s for around $580-630.;Q Glockmeister usually sells them for around $505-512 at the gun shows, so you can see how discouraging it is usually looking at the local gun shops over here. Like I said, I decided to check some gun shops out in Tucson, just in case I got lucky on a NIB Glock 21 or a real good deal on a used one. At the third store I tried (first two were overpriced like normal), I found it. Regularly priced at $574.95, but on sale for $499.95. First thing I thought was, "okay, it must be used and missing the box or something". Nope, brand new, never fired (except at factory) and had the new box and all the goodies (two 10 round mags, cleaning brush, etc.) that come with a NIB Glock. Second thought was "okay, I bet it is in the mid E series and will have to be sent back to Glock for a new frame (because of the frame rail problem). Nope, F series :) . I closely inspected the frame, slide, and barrel (basic field strip). Everything looks good. Dry fired it four to five times at the shop, everything felt good and checked out. Now I just need to buy some .45ACP ammo and shoot it this weekend.:)

AZGlock13 (G19, G21, G23)

2. .45Kevin

.45Kevin Weapons Trainer

Smart thinking when you checked the serial #. E-series was the first thing that I would of thought of too. ;) Everyone should own at least one .45 pistol!!!;f

3. dougmc

dougmc

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. I carry my 21 concealed whenever I have the opportunity. Now go and find a couple regular capacity mags. You just can't beat 14 rounds of 45 acp power and another 13 just incase! I fire winchester whitebox and speer lawman for target rounds and I've been carrying the Speer Gold Dot 200+P. I was carrying the Taurus copper 185 . But they were getting expensive. I've put a couple hundred rounds of Gold Dot through my 21 and it really likes it.

Have fun Doug

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Congrats! You now own the softest shooting, most reliable .45acp pistol ever invented.

5. AZGlock13

AZGlock13

Thanks guys for the congrats.:)

Yep, I need to get over to Walmart and pick up at least one Winchester 100 value pack for it. Going to the range on Saturday.:cool:

I sure would like to get a few standard cap. mags for it right now, but the price for them is a little steep. I'm going to wait a little while before I pick any up. The two ten round mags well just have to hold me over for a while. Thanks again.

6. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Picked up my G-21 today. The serial number is FLUxxx ;f :cool:

7. Ext

Ext

My best guess is that the shop owner wanted to keep his inventory moving. The serial # on my G30 is FHS### so if you have an FHB### then I'd guess that it's been sitting on the shelves for about 2-3 months, I bought my G30 in June... Either way, congrats!

8. SELFDEFENSE

SELFDEFENSE

Good choice.

-------------------------
    26, 19, 17L, 21, 1911

9. G21Pro

G21Pro Senior Member

My first .45 was my first gun ever, a Glock 21 that I bought a few years ago. I was hooked on firearms from that point and proceeded to buy 4 more within the same year. Since I didn't test fire any of them before owning them, I ended up only keeping 1 of the five and it wasnt the Glock 21, although I became a very competent shooter with it. I kept a Kimber stainless, and only recently found another glock I liked after shooting it at a range, G30.

10. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

AZGlock13, congrats. I think that you will definately enjoy it. Just a tip, if you have a Wally World close buy, they have Winchester white box (100 rounds) for $19.95

Whent shooting today with my Dad. Took the G19 out, shot a couple of mags through it, picked up the G21 and blasted away with that. Turned around, and said to my Dad, do you see now why I carry the 21. Gosh, I really love that gun. He'll at times ask me why I don't carry the G26 or G19 because they are more compact. I don't think he'll be asking that question again.

AZG13, be sure to give us a range report, ok....

11. AZGlock13

AZGlock13

TLHelmer, Did you get to shoot your new G21 yet?:)

Ext, If they want to drop the price by $75 to move their inventory, I'm not going to stand in their way.;) ;f

SELFDEFENSE, Thanks.:cool:

G21Pro, I might just have to get a G30 eventually down the road.:)

DeLandSkyjumper, Thanks for the congrats. Yep, went down to my local Walmart and picked up one box of Winchester white box 100 value pack (230GR. FMJs) and also a box of Winchester 230GR. JHPs (50 round box). I'm glad you really like your G21.:) As to the range report, that is what I'm about to do in this reply.

I went to the range yesterday morning. Prior, I bought the ammo on Monday and loaded both ten round mags with the FMJs, so their springs would settle in a little bit (to make getting the 10th round in the mags easier). Let me tell you, getting the 10th round in the G21 mags is a little harder than in my G19 and G23 mags. Anyway, I fired off the first mag with no problems. I was shooting at a paper target around 15-20 yards away. I then inserted the second mag in the G21. I forgot to mention it is a lot harder pushing in the ten round G21 mags (getting them to seat all the way in with the slide closed) when they are completely full, compared to my G19 and G23. Is this normal, or is there something I need to look into? Anyway, pulled back the slide with my weak hand and let it fly, like I did on the first mag, and this time the slide jammed up on feeding the first round off of the mag. I removed the mag and cleared the jam. I then inserted the same mag, (easier to insert this time) with only nine rounds left in it and this time it chambered the round just fine. All nine round fired flawlessly. I then re-loaded both mags still using the FMJs and then I noticed it. The first mag that had no problems chambering the first round looked normal with all ten rounds inserted; however, the second mag clearly looked incorrect once the 10th round was inserted into it (It was harder inserting the 10 round into the second mag that the first too). Once both mags were fully loaded, I held them up side by side to compare them. The second mag’s feed lips were spread further apart (bulging) than on the first’s. This was allowing the top round’s nose to point further up than the first round on the first mag. The nose of next round (right below the top round) on the second mag was also showing quite a bit, where the nose of the next round down on the first mag was just below flush (looking at the mag’s side at eye level). I then decided to take out the top round from the second mag (leaving nine loaded). The feed lips then looked correct (not bulging) and the nose of the top round looked like it had the correct angle (not pointing so far up). I fired the rest of the 100 FMJs, except for 20 rounds of it, by inserting the full ten rounds in the first mag and only loading up nine rounds in the second mag and had no further problems. After the pistol was hot, I decided to fire 20 rounds of the JHPs as quickly as I could (paper target 7 yards away) (attempting to see if the G21 would have any FTF or FTE problems on them while it was hot and fouled). It fired all 20 rounds of JHPs (fired in quick succession) without a single problem.:cool: That made me really smile.

Basically, the G21 did exactly what it was suppose to do every time. The chambering of the first round problem is do to the mag, not the G21.

Later, after I got home and finished cleaning the pistol and the mags, I tried compressing the second mag’s spring over and over again with the factory mag loading tool to see if that would loosen up the spring any. I then loaded up the full ten rounds into both mags and it did indeed seem to help the second mag. The top round now seems to be pointing at the correct angle (a little bit higher than the first mag still) and the feed lips are not quite as bulging as they were at the range. The only thing I can think of is that particular mag happened to get a little stronger mag spring than what the specs call for. Hopefully, as I load and unload that mag, its spring will weaken enough to be flawless with the full ten rounds in it, if not, I will just have to always use it as a nine rounder. I’m not too concerned with it, since the ten round mags can be picked up for $16 a piece at Ivanhoe’s. Just wondering if any other GTers have had similar problems with their ten round G21 mags.

I love my new G21.;a ;c

12. TLHelmer

TLHelmer Millennium Member

Yes. It shot great, but I am going to replace the sights with meps or trijicon night sights.

13. DeLandSkyjumper

DeLandSkyjumper Play'naNewGame

AZGlock13, my 10 rounders do the same thing. I only load them to 9 at the range and 8 when I carry.

I'm not going to screw with the springs and compromise the function for just one round. Besides, I just bought 2 new PB13 rnd. drop frees. Can't wait for them to get here.

Other than that said, I'm glad that you love your new G21.