New G20, kinda worried...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by rheingold, Sep 17, 2019.

1. rheingold

rheingold

I've been carrying a G30S as my "woods gun" for many years.

Going fishing in bear country for a couple of weeks, so on a whim I decided to pick up a G20 instead. I'm mostly a revolver guy and shoot .44mag a lot, so I figured I won't have any issues with the 10mm recoil. I didn't want to take a .44mag, because it's gonna get wet and dirty, and I like having 15 rounds instead of 6.

So now that I picked up the G20 I start reading about it, and I see quite a few reports about kabooms, especially with hotter ammo. I was planning on buying some of that stuff.

Now I'm kinda wondering if the whole thing was such a good idea. In short, I don't fully trust the G20 now. Should I go ahead and buy a KKM barrel before I take the gun out? Am I overthinking this? How often do these things blow up?

I did blow up a full steel 1911 as a rookie reloader many years ago, and it was no fun at all. Took a year of practice to get over the flinch.

utsteve77 and trojanwar2 like this.
  2. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

What generation? What ammo?

You shouldn't have any problems with case head support.

pjanthony likes this.

3. jmohme

jmohme

4 years with my G20. I have no idea how many rounds of hot Underwood ammo and no issues. In fact, your post is the very first I have heard of any G20 kabooms.
    I will carry on with mine. My favorite Glock!

4. rheingold

rheingold

Gen 4, brand new. Haven't decided on specific ammo yet, was gonna try a bunch and see.

5. Benchrst

Benchrst Ban Hamster

I have a .4, most rounds have gone down an AF barrel but many hot loads "as-factory".

"kabooms", are you thinking 40S&W?

pjanthony and boilergonzo like this.
  6. thomgetch

thomgetch

No need to worry the g20 is made for any reasonable load. I carry and shoot really hot Buffalo bore, cor-bon or underwood in my g40, same gun longer barrel. The ka-booms are usually overloaded ammo, all are ammo related. If you stick to quality commercial stuff you’ll be fine. You will hear stuff about an unsupported barrel, BS. Plunk a round in a barrel when removed from the gun the only part that could arguably be considered unsupported is at 6oclock where the ramp entered the barrel. There is a reason for that, like an “old Ho” anything fits. Now look at cut away of a standard 10mm casing, very little if any boom stuff at that point. I routinely shoot really heavy stuff without any concern.

pjanthony likes this.
  7. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

LWD barrels have better support than KKM. Buy ammo, they are insured. I would never shoot any ammo you loaded because you blew a pistol up. Hardly any reloaders do that and some of these guys on GT push the limits with their 10mm Glocks. No offense meant. Keep it factory and you should have no problems. I've been shooting 10mm for 20 years and I have never blown a pistol or revolver up. I stopped reloading years ago because I was not paying the attention it requires. I've broken extractors because cases swelled too much to be removed is one of the issues I had. A few other issues that were borderline disastrous so believe me I'm not dissing you.

KB's are not a common thing with 10mm Glocks.

8. rheingold

rheingold

Don't worry, nobody shoots ammo I loaded but me. I never really figured out why I blew up that 1911 many years ago. I used a progressive press and the powder I used wouldn't allow for a double charge without overflowing. Could have been my fault, could have been an out-of-battery ignition, no idea. I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds since, and never had another issue.

gatorboy likes this.
  9. 835mag

835mag

Or...XDm 4.5 with its fully supported chamber.

10. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Probbaly a weak case. I had that happen to me once. Destroyed the mag and the grips. Oh and the case when it ejected took a chunk out of my nose and eye pro. Had the frame and barrel x-rayed and mag particles. Everything was good! It was on a Springfield 1911 a1(before they had all the fancy names) as far as 10mm, I haven't heard or seen any other than Ollie's with a reloader

11. bac1023

bac1023

Congrats on the G20

12. pgg00

pgg00

I haven't heard of any kabooms in the G20. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened though. Glock has usually been considered one of the stronger 10mms

VIS07, JoeOU1 and boilergonzo like this.
  13. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

The only reason these guns could ever blow up would be from shooting hundreds of rounds of cast bullet ammo in a polygon barrel and NEVER cleaning the barrel or reloading ammo far beyond SAMMI maximum pressures.

These days Underwood no longer offers plain hardcast ammo. All of their hardcast ammo is now coated with polymer and can be safely fired out of the factory Glock barrel.

On the GT reloading forum there are people who routinely exceed maximum loads with both the G20 and G21 and then use a heavy recoil spring along with a compensator to prevent battering of the frame but some of those loads probably exceed 60,000 PSI and still don't blow up the chamber or the barrel.

Unlike our intrepid daredevil amateur reloaders, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, and Underwood use laboratory pressure testing equipment for load development and never exceed the SAAMI maximum of 37,500 PSI for the 10mm.

If you want to get a KKM barrel, go ahead, they are excellent barrels but your Glock factory barrel is never going to detonate using Underwood, Buffalo Bore, or Double Tap ammo. I've tried all 3 in my Glock 20SF and probably fired over a thousand rounds of Underwood 220 grain hardcast, both coated and non-coated, in that gun with no signs of stress or excessive wear.

agtman and boilergonzo like this.
  14. Lil

Lil

This isn't a regular or even an irregular thing. Exceptionally rare - maybe with a tweaked load. Many people here and at 10mmfirearms loading their own hot go-getters and having no problems at all, stock or aftermarket, myself included (G20.4). Don't give it a second thought.

agtman likes this.
  15. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

As others noted, I am not aware of any G20 Kaboom issues. The .40S&W had those rumblings (amplified by the internet, but still deemed safe by police, etc.). Never heard a peep about issues with the G20 or any other Glock 10mm gun.

I completely trust my G20. I usually use hard cast Buffalo Bore. I got a KKM barrel, but it was more to stabilize the heavy loads so they didn't tumble, rather than for fouling (which folks will debate both sides of, and I am Switzerland...). But I have zero concerns about my G20 having an issue. I would not give it a second thought!

You bought a great gun for the role you just described! I think you are in fantastic shape, and I would feel good about shooting it. If you shoot a heavy cast round, and notice your targets keyhole, you may be experiencing tumbling, and a third party barrel with more aggressive rifling may help spin and stabilize the round better, or a lighter bullet. For normal 10mm loads this is NOT an issue. Just heavier rounds like the 220gr hard cast from Buffalo Bore.

Congrats on the G20. I think it will serve you quite well!!!

Hickock45 and tumbling bullets, go to 12:30, compares Glock factory barrel to LWD for heavy cast bullets and tumbling.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m0satEkGjw

16. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

OP, I suspect that you may be hearing rumblings from the recent Glock lawsuit. It lists the G20 among the "Kaboom" guns in the class action lawsuit. It is a money grab. The guns are safe. Brass that is reused and stressed or overcharged did cause issues, but it always seemed to be ammo, and even then, Glock added more chamber support in more current versions to reduce the chance of an unsupported case being weak and letting go.

Here is an article on the lawsuit filed in August against Glock. I have a G22 and G20, and feel this is a frivolous suit. I feel quite safe with these Glock's. Many, many police departments still rely on .40S&W Glock handguns. Enjoy your G20!

Class Action Lawsuit, August 2019:
    https://www.classaction.org/news/gl...-chamber-defect-in-certain-semi-auto-handguns

“The Class Guns are defective and unreasonably dangerous because the common design of the Class guns will not prevent and has not prevented a ‘blow out’ or a ‘Kaboom’ which can, and does, result in personal injury. The Defects result from the inadequate design, manufacturing, and testing of the Class Guns, and the continued failure of the Glock Defendants to remedy the Defects. The Defects have created an unreasonably dangerous situation for a person owning and/or possessing a Class Hand Gun, and have substantially reduced or eliminated completely, the value of the Class Guns.”

gh1138 likes this.
  17. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

not a problem. put your worries to rest. I have shot hundreds of underwood 200gr hard cast through mine, Gen4 OEM barrel G20. and BTW, the 200gr underwood ammo has no tumbling issues with a G20 OEM barrel.

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 10.07.27 AM.png

Jisbell40 likes this.
  18. pjanthony

pjanthony

All G20’s are good to go with any ammo loaded by Underwood, Double Tap or Buffalo Bore

VIS07, DirectDrive and Jisbell40 like this.
  19. Jisbell40

Jisbell40

I’ve got 2600 rounds through a 6” OEM g20 barrel gen 3. Mostly Underwood, buffalo bore, double tap, or equivalent hand loads. No issues

VIS07 and pjanthony like this.
  20. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Mines been Great with .40 up to Underwood, Lawyers just trying to steal some money.