close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

New G17 owner ....

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by tharrison57, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. tharrison57

tharrison57

Newbie here, and just purchased a used Glock 17, 2nd Generation (?), 9mm, AZF serial #. It has 2 17-cap magazines, white Tru Dot sites, slide on Pachmayr grip. Needless to say, I'm here to learn.

When I lock the slide back, is the barrel supposed to float, as it seems to be loose ?

I shot one years ago, but wasn't impressed (sorry ...). Wasn't looking to buy one, but didn't think I could pass on the deal. Maybe I'll learn to love it ?

Is there a way to find a certified Glock dealer near me ? I think I'd like to have a qualified persdon check it over.

Thanks in advance for the help ...............

2. CarRamRod

CarRamRod Liter of Cola

fwiw if your that concerned just call glock customer service and ask about sending the pistol in for an inspect and tune up. I sent my 17 in last year and it arrived on a Friday and I had it back the following Thursday (ymmv) with almost all internals replaced for free. even had them put ns on it since it was there. should be good for another 15+ years...

3. drjustice

drjustice Super Senior

Glocks use the Browning barrel locking system. When the slide is moving to the rear the barrel moves back just enough to unlock it and cycle the next round. It is normal in all similar designs. The critical movement and play is the barrel to the slide fitting. Slide to frame a little loose, no problem. Check to see if the barrel is loose in the upper when the weapon is with the slide locked in the forward position. Glocks should have just a little more play than other similar weapons. This is to ensure reliability when the metals get hot and expand.
    A weapon fired hot will show the signs on the so called "smiling faces" on the exterior of the barrel, drag marks created by the friction between the slide cycling and the hot barrel expansion. It is not as critical in Glocks as it is in Sigs for example. I have seen a few Sigs that had the slide drag marks dig into the barrel past the blue finish and started chewing into the metal. Nothing that will affect safety or reliability, just a little bit on accuracy and cosmetic looks for the purists. Enjoy you 17. It was my very first Glock too, many, many moons ago...

4. mymini40

mymini40

Good choice and enjoy your G17!!

5. matta704

matta704

I think you will grow to love it, most do.
    Congrats

6. robertwh

robertwh

My shooting partner's favorite all around Glock for recreational shooting and CC is the 17. I would be proud to own the model myself. Enjoy your new purchase and welcome to the forum!

7. bharen

bharen

Tharrison57, where are you located?

I don't think that Glock publishes a list of Glock Armorers. I'd recommend you contact some local gun stores and ask if they know of any local Glock armorers. Most will do at least a cursory safety & function check for free.

CarRamRod's advice is spot-on; if you have any concerns or questions just ship it off to Smyrna and let Glock give it a once-over. Odds are very high that they'll replace any worn parts free of charge and have it back to you quickly. Send your magazines along, too. They may upgrade those with new springs and followers if they spot any problems.

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

:welcome: to GlockTalk,.......

Congrats on the G17,......the World's "most perfect 9mm" :supergrin:

9. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Congrats OP.Love those 2nd Gens'.
    Fixed it for ya....:whistling:

10. MySiK26

MySiK26 ******

Since we're editing.......:whistling:

Welcome to GT and congrats on a great gun. :wavey:

11. sean665

sean665 Semper Fortis

Was not a big Glock fan myself-until I got one. Started with a 23, then got a 26, now a 17. I wouldn't carry anything else. Congrats.

12. tharrison57

tharrison57

Thanks for all the "welcomes" and the advice. I'm about 35 miles nw of Springfield, Il., so I'll check with some of the shops around here. First stop will either be out the farm for a trial run, or to the indoor range. A couple of friends like to visit there, so I may have to tag along.

Once again, thanks for all the kudos. I'll be sure & report back in on how I get along, but I will be lurking, trying to learn. Thanks all ! ! !

13. Geezer Glide

Geezer Glide NRA Life Member

A 2nd Generation G17, it just doesn't get any better.

14. m4arc

m4arc

OP, yes the barrel will be loose when the slide is locked back. However, Glock will look it over, replace all the springs, test fire and clean it for you if you ship it to them. You only need to pay for shipping to GA.

Call Glock tomorrow morning and get the details. Tell them you bought it used and you want to make sure it's in good working order: 770-432-1202 x365

It's a damn good deal.

15. metro273

metro273 Glock 19 Rocks!

16. bac1023

bac1023

:welcome: and congrats.

17. tharrison57

tharrison57

I thought so, especially since I'm only into it for $ 250.00. Thought if I had to spend some money, I'd have a little room.

Oh yeah, and it didn't happen if there aren't pictures ........ sorry.

Attached Files:

18. greatwun

greatwun Senior Member

19. GlockRWH

GlockRWH

Best 9mm pistol... period. :thumbsup: