Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new G17. made it to the range today, around shot 325 of 500 today I had a FTF. Take a look at this Remington UMC 115 gr round. I think is was bad from the factory due to the brass is rolled into the case? Or was the damage from the round jamming, catching on the edge of the barrel on the way in? I shot 500 rounds of UMC, 50 rounds of winchester supreme elite JHP bonded PDX1 124 +P and 25 rounds of double tap +P 124gr bonded defense JHP 1310fps/ 4.5"bbl.

FYI, the winchester kick harder than the UMC and more accurat and the Double Tap kick harder than the winchester.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,761 Posts
I'm betting it's a factory defect as prior to loading my 19 at the range last Saturday I found the same kind of deformed round (UMC 9mm) upon opening a new box of ammunition. The ammunition factories are running 24/7 in attempt to catch up with demand right now. It follows that the opportunity for defects would increase as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hoping so, I bought this pistol for the reliability factor. I have a S&W .40 that has never failed, but this plastic gun is lighter and black, and just has a cool factor. I think it shoots better too.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Looks to me like a factory problem, I dont believe that could have happened during feeding.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Brand new G17. made it to the range today, around shot 325 of 500 today I had a FTF. Take a look at this Remington UMC 115 gr round. I think is was bad from the factory due to the brass is rolled into the case? Or was the damage from the round jamming, catching on the edge of the barrel on the way in? I shot 500 rounds of UMC, 50 rounds of winchester supreme elite JHP bonded PDX1 124 +P and 25 rounds of double tap +P 124gr bonded defense JHP 1310fps/ 4.5"bbl.

FYI, the winchester kick harder than the UMC and more accurat and the
Double Tap kick harder than the winchester.

A few months ago I was shooting UMC 115gr threw my HKusp and the wifes Uspc I have fired thousands of rounds threw both of these pistols and the only failures I ever had was FTF's with this ammo. Around the same time a friend of mine was running the same threw his 26 and he had the same issues I had. I remember the casing seemed to be slighty out of round and the round seemed to be cockeyed to one side. Maybe it was a bad batch? I will have to give it another try I guess before I rule out remington's UMC.

·
Mostly IDPA now
1,135 Posts
Sure looks like bad ammo. Happens sometimes. Slipped though QC optical check.

·
Registered
220 Posts
There is another thread going about this exact thing. As I said over there, I have done that to a cartridge in my reloading machine and I do not believe it could happen in the gun. It has to be a bad round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
agree, I am going to look at each round today and put another 500 through it, just to feel better, BTW the double tap stuff is the bomb!

There is another thread going about this exact thing. As I said over there, I have done that to a cartridge in my reloading machine and I do not believe it could happen in the gun. It has to be a bad round.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts